Cherrypecker

Rellies driving on a UK licence

Hi,

We have family coming over to visit in December, and I was of the belief that they could simply drive our cars whilst they were over here on their UK licence (as long as they carry it with them). However, an Aussie work colleague mentioned recently that they will need an International Licence.

Is anyone able to clarify please?

Many thanks.

Guest MattyT

Hi There,

I did a fair bit of research on this before I came out here. I found that my UK licence was fine for renting a car for 6 months. I read that an international driving licence is only necessary if the original licence was issued in a non-english speaking country and is just a translation of the original licence.

Just did a quick fact check and found this!

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport-travel-and-motoring/motoring/interstate-and-international-motorists/driving-with-an-overseas-licence

They should just be "short term visitors" so should be fine.

UK licence is fine for short term visits, 3 months I believe. The only condition is the Licence must be in English, which in their case it will be.

Yep. I drove on my uk licence for five years. It's only when you get pr you have to change it over. One thing to consider though, technically you are supposed to carry both your uk licence and your passport. I never bothered with the passport, and was never asked for it.

I did get stopped for not having an Aussie licence linked to my rego once, but the policeman never even looked at my uk licence. I just said I had a uk licence instead and he happily sent me on my way.

UK licence is fine for short term visits, 3 months I believe. The only condition is the Licence must be in English, which in their case it will be.

That was exactly what I thought V-Bird.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. Much appreciated.