Amit Malhotra

Arrival planned for June 2015

Hi all,

We are planning to arrive in Adelaide in June 2015 and wanted to create a network of people already in Adelaide or arriving during that time.

Please join comment this thread so that I can create a network to support each other for moving to Adelaide.

Rose park as it's got a public school which is in top 5 and its close to CBT. I lived in Adelaide about 15 years back as a student. Was tough that time but now it's way easy now. One of my close friend recently move from Adelaide after living their for 6 years and the feedback is just awesome. Let's plan to meet and be in touch. Where are you moving from.

Hi Amit, I hope you enjoy the process - it can be pretty emotional even if you don't expect it! You are coming in just in time for winter, so don't let that put you off when you land!

Yeah, we will finish one winter in India and land in the start if another, for us winters are better. Thanks for this. Whats is the job market in May or June? For call centre work

Rose park as it's got a public school which is in top 5 and its close to CBT.

Hi Amit, thought I would let you know what we discovered last week on our reccie trip. Rose Park school, yes very nice area, but similarly to Linden Park, is absolutely busting at the seams, we looked at both schools for the same reason as you, they are in the top 5. However, the classes are bulging over 30 kids in the class, some kids were working on corridors to get some space. They are very strict now on zoning due to the oversubscription and said categorically that without a minimum 12 month lease in the area they would not consider enrollment. Don't be fooled by their ranking as this is not current and they have had a massive surge in enrollment. The Naplan results that rank schools are only one thing to factor in. We visited 10 schools in 1 week, both my husband and I agreed that Rose Park and Linden Park, although both strong schools, were too busy for our kids and seemed to be very stretched. I would personally recommend that you consider a wider search. Happy to provide more info if required, as I said we were there just last week so very current. Good luck

@EmmaB - which school you zeroed in, next one recommended by one of my friend who lived there is Richmond Primary School. I want to live near the school and can work from anywhere. Initially my wife will work as she is main applicant and had finish 1 year full time employment out of 2 as per visa requirement 490 and I will take care of my daughter till my parents (next 4 months) can come and help us take care of her and after that I will start working

We are not yet in Adelaide so do not qualify for zoning, many schools have zones especially those in very popular/affluent areas. I don't mean to put you off, but areas like, Linden Park, Unley, Burnside, Rose Park, close to the CBD are all tightly zoned and accomodation is also on the top end, maybe that is not a concern but worth knowing. Probably further out of the city the zones are more flexible, but honestly, don't stress too much about the MySchool website, almost all the schools I met said that the information is misleading. Trust your instincts, class size, support for new children, environment are all very important also. We have decided that we will live in the western beach suburbs, lovely area, good schools and an easier commute for my husband. We looked at everything, state schools, Catholic, Anglican, private, ranging from $0 to $15k per child in fees. With the high fees the facilities are obviously very impressive but we decided too much money to commit to in the first year. It is a minefield but decided what is most important to you and contact the schools for answers. Good luck

For my daughter English is a second language, she study all subjects in English and can pretty much communicate. But she may face challenge in understanding OZy accent.

The Suburb which u would love to live in is near Glenelg beach. As the transport is just right and the rental are not that high as well. But don't know where my wife will find work.

Hi Sam and Craig. We will be arriving just before you guys end of February, exciting times..........

Hi, oh exciting times.....whereabouts are you hoping to settle??

Hi, we are focusing our search on the beach suburbs somewhere between Glenelg and Grange, lots for us to do as we like watersports plus easy commute for my husband north and for me into the CBD, which is where I hope to find work ;-)

We have our short term rental in port noarlunga so we can check out all the beach suburbs, my husband will probably travel for work no matter where we settle as he's a joiner so will just travel to wherever the sites are! I love the idea of living by the beach but being close to the city....

Don't worry too much about language, it may take a little adjustment but children adapt quickly. We moved from UK to Sweden 4 years ago having never spoken Swedish, within 6 months our children were completely fluent and are completely bi-lingual. If she can already understand English she has a great advantage and almost all schools will offer additional language support where required. If your wife is planning to find work in the CBD living out near Glenelg would be practical, the tram is direct into the CBD in 25 mins and it is also positioned on the Anzac Highway for quick road access into CBD.

That a great insight, i used to live in Adelaide but about 15 years back as a student things were very different then - no trams and buses use to stop at about 7. Now it's just changed a lot. Yes my wife is planning to work out CBD. And I too may get a job their as j am into Business Continuity and Crisis/incident mangement.

When we filed for T&E EOI T&E list got closed in 2 hours and one of our friend missed filling that. Do you have any idea when is the list getting updated again as now call centre occupation has special condition/closed

When we filed for T&E EOI T&E list got closed in 2 hours and one of our friend missed filling that. Do you have any idea when is the list getting updated again as now call centre occupation has special condition/closed

No idea, this perhaps isn't the best thread to put that question on, maybe try the visa subcategory.

Hi everyone,

We will be moving to Adelaide mid March - April next year and would love to be part of your network group.

It is a very exciting but daunting time and its great to have the support of others in the same

position.

It would also be good to get the children in contact with others too as they are keen to make friends.

We are potentially looking at the Seaview Downs area for properties, the schools also look really nice around there.

Does anyone else know much about this area or have any advice on the best areas for families / schools etc?

Look forward to chatting with you all,

Visa granted 07/10/2014

Flights booked for 14/03/2015

Carly - Quality Assurance / Childcare trainer & Assessor

Chris - Firefighter

Abbie - 13 yrs old

Kian - 10 yrs old

Jaimie - 8 yrs old

Edited by C4rlyb

I will be going for Gleneg area as its a good area sea view and transport to city is good, as advised by one of the member and I also check few websites to confirm thia