Arrival planned for June 2015

Amit Malhotra

Just wanted to say merry xmas and wish all those moving to Adelaide in the upcoming months a fantastic new year, all the best for the move and good luck with the preparations. I know my family and I are trying to enjoy our last few days of relaxation before the craziness of the new year starts and the final preparations are made!

Hope to chat with you all on here soon and look forward to meeting with you when we all arrive in Adelaide!

take care

Carly, Chris, Abbie(13),Kian(10) and Jaimie(8)

xxxx

merry Christmas......I think the times going to fly by now!!!! When do you go to adelaide? We make the move in March....good luck everyone xxx

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ya,

We fly over in march too - probably 14th / 15th. We were going to stay other my parents in Sydney first but are going to go straight to SA now so kids can settle in schools etc.

you are going to NT first aren't you? If I remember rightly?

Yes I think time is going to run away with us actually!!

Carly

merry Christmas......I think the times going to fly by now!!!! When do you go to adelaide? We make the move in March....good luck everyone xxx

Hi Lorraine I'm Lorraine and also worked in homeless services for 10 years and now in mental health too ! Sound like you have had a real endurance test to get to adelaide. Our dog is coming too!

Hi Lorraine,

Just wanted to say hello! I dare say we'll all end up meeting up when we get there, gonna feel like newbies! Hope you had a nice Christmas, all the best for 2015.

Lorraine x

Edited by noworriesmate

Truly times going to fly too quick after new year. Wish you all Happy & Prosperous New Year in advance. Good luck everyone. We make the move by March end and hope to meet with you all in Adelaide.

Hi can we join looks like we'll b out early in the New Tear & it would be great to have a support network. We're family of 5. Got three girls 10, 8 & 6. Husband getting sponsored just waiting for visa to be granted xxx

When are you hoping to make the move alexandkaren? Happy new year to everyone......hopefully see you all in adelaide :jiggy:

Hi all,

I have an idea of creating a excel sheet with contact details of everyone interested in meeting, I will be the last one to come in June. So everyone can mail me on my personal e-mail ID their contact details:

Name:

Kins Name:

Number of Kids and their Ages:

E-mail Address:

Suburb they will be moving to:

Occupation they want to work in:

PM please

Edited by snifter
Email

Hi, we are moving a complete of weeks before you, just got our visas exactly 1 week ago and sold our house the same day!!! Very excited/nervous. Our 2 children lauren 9 and riley 7 will start at grange primary school first week in March. Looking forward to meeting new people. Happy new year!!! For many of us 2015 is the start of something special :-)

Hi samandcraig, just waiting for my husband's 457 to come through but most likely Feb for him, hoping we can sort everything out so we can go then as well but we might need to stay on a bit to get everything tied up. So much too do. Need to sort shipping, flights, dog shipping infact everything! We're using a relocation company so they'll help us out with some of our stuff & help us settle over there. Any removal company recommendations?

Any removal company recommendations?

Suggest you get a number of the main 8 or so in to quote you and then see who you like the best and what price they come in at and then be prepared to haggle perhaps to get them to bring the price down if its one of the higher ones.

Also be aware of sole use and groupage. If you have a sole use 20ft container it should fit the contents of an average 3 bed house. You are still best to de clutter and have a good sort out I think. If you go groupage, this means your shipping goes in a shared container (so only paying for the space you take up in it, not the entire container) it can take far longer to actually depart and ship as they have to wait to fill a 40ft container for shared shipping. Book them for coming out for quotes a few months in advance as slots fill up for quotes and they are not always in your area on the days you may want them to be.

All the usual will apply to either, banned items to ship/import, stuff to clean etc.

FWIW, we got in Doree Bonner, PSS, White and Co and Anglo Pacific iirc. We didn't go with any of them as we decided to ship far less than an entire house contents and used a Seven Seas Move Cube, so self packed and loaded. All arrived fine within the 12 week timeframe.

Today we opened Saving account with NAB while we are still in India as wanted to start transferring money before we reach Adelaide in June. Going to send a mail to Glenelg Primary School for Admission and OHSC as they have a waiting list.

IIRC Glenelg primary is now zoned as it is bursting at the seams. I doubt you'll get any joy regarding admission until you are living here and resident in the zone for the school.

FWIW, I wasn't overly keen on Glenelg primary. Mainly as its so huge (something like 700 pupils) and its right on the junction crossroad of a really busy main road and the grounds are small for so many kids. Also academically it didn't grab me in the way some other schools did. So even though we lived within a few minutes walking distance of it, we opted to go further afield for the first 7 months here till we bought a house in a different area.

I'd suggest waiting till you are here and seeing it in person if you are living in the zone. And go check out non zoned schools or schools nearby that are also zoned. I'd suggest Paringa Primary as that has a very good reputation, is smaller and lovely grounds on a quieter residential street but not far away. It is zoned and they do enforce it due to numbers. I think its a lovely school and out of the two, would opt for that one over Glenelg any day but that is just my personal opinion :) Area wise its a nice suburb, close to Glenelg and Brighton.

Edited by snifter
added line of text

I'd better get a move on with the quotes & de-clutter. Kind of started already & had looked at the move cube! Do they fit a lot in snifter? Thanks for advice snifter! Would like to bring most of our furniture x

A MoveCube isn't going to be big enough if you are shipping most of your furniture and personal effects. We did fit our king size bed, and flat packed wardrobe in. And 2 sets of drawers and one chair we could take apart. Plus about 30 boxes in 2 different sizes. Move cubes are great for smaller amounts but do require careful planning and packing to maximise use of space. To that end all our boxes were the same 2 sizes so they stacked well and we measured out the floor space to make sure it would fit.

Best bet is to get some shipping quotes, get an idea of the cubic feet measurements etc and then see what you think and if you want to ship that much or streamline right down to fit a MoveCube.

We found replacing stuff to be fine and have bought some great items from Gumtree (Welsh dresser and table with 6 chairs for example) and bought new sofas and white goods in stores. Sofas took ages to find as found quality and choice really poor (I am not a fan of these huge leather entertainment suites and that made it a long search to find something I liked in colour/material to suit my taste) in relation to price. We went for quality so paid more but it was worth it.

Hi samandcraig, just waiting for my husband's 457 to come through but most likely Feb for him, hoping we can sort everything out so we can go then as well but we might need to stay on a bit to get everything tied up. So much too do. Need to sort shipping, flights, dog shipping infact everything! We're using a relocation company so they'll help us out with some of our stuff & help us settle over there. Any removal company recommendations?

We have gone with PSS....but our container doesn't go until next month so can't really recommend, all I can say is that they were recommended to us and it's so far so good x

Hi alex and Karen we are packing up with pss on the 28/29 jan !

How is every one else doing we are super stressed ! The dog is not getting high enough result with her rabies anti bodies ! So at the moment she still cannot come for another 6 months at least ! ! At £250 a go ! The dog didn't even cost £250 ! We are packing up the container on the 28 th 29 th jan and still cannot decided to bring the camper or not such conflicting views on the forums, the paperwork for that is worse than for the visa !! Ha ha ( pss have been excellent giving me both options up untill the 19 th ! The house completes on the 30 Th. Hopefully ! Jobs end on the 21st, booked flights tonight for 4 weeks in Vietnam still to book filgts to oz and accomidation for when we arrive ! My disorganisation is starting to catch up with me ! Aghhhh x x

Hi Lorraine, your getting things sorted, I'm sure everything will work out for you!! You will feel stressed doing everything at once but at least your getting things sorted all at once. Oh no....is it hard to try and bring pets over? We don't have any pets so don't have that to think about, but I know they are like members of the family so it must be frustrating!! Are you staying off at Vietnam?

Hi Lorraine & Sam, had our first quote today for shipping but not be able to book until 457 has been granted so bit stressed out by that. Been looking at flights but again can't book until visa granted. Had a quote to ship out wee dog but yeah can't book that either aahhh! Apart from that lm so calm lol. Need to get the house sorted as well since we've decided to sell! So all in all got loads to do but hey we'll get there. Hope packing goes well Lorraine & Sam keep us updated xx