Arrival planned for June 2015

Amit Malhotra

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest75
Only 5 weeks until we arrive in Darwin and just over 6 until we arrive in adelaide, how is everyone getting on, has anyone already arrived and has any tips?.....

It will be hot and sweaty in Darwin - plenty of cool clothes!

Hi guys I'm stood in my empty house container went yesterday that big stress out the way everything fitted in to the last inch. Pss were fab ! The campervan is sold ,I've just been to my daughters leaving assembly and the dogs rabies anti body levels are all good so she can come in six moths x the house completes hopefully in a few hours ! Just to say the goodbyes over the next week and then holiday de stress time in Vietnam, before phase 2 starts, houses , jobs and all that fun..... I won't lie It been stressful ...but I don't help myself not the most organised if I can do it anybody can ! I will be in adelaide form the 13th march so any body wants to meet up let me know x x. Now for thelast time of walking out my front door, best get those keys to the estate agent x x

Good luck with the sale of your house amit x

Hi Lorraine, you must feel relieved to be at this stage, I know there are probably very stressful times ahead but your on your way.....pleased to hear PSS were good, did you have to do an itinerary or do they do that? Have an amazing time in Vietnam and would love to meet up on the other side? We arrive 21st March x

Hi Amit,

We are also a family that are moving to Adelaide in June... looking at schools for my kids and notice you mentioned Rose Park, which is also where I was thinking (or North Adelaide). Are you set about your school choice? I'd like to hear more to inform my choice!

Emma

Hi Amit,

We are also a family that are moving to Adelaide in June... looking at schools for my kids and notice you mentioned Rose Park, which is also where I was thinking (or North Adelaide). Are you set about your school choice? I'd like to hear more to inform my choice!

Emma

Rose Park is a zoned school. In a pricey, though (IMHO) very lovely area of Adelaide. I'm guessing you've checked all the info out in it and it's naplan results. It fairs well in all areas from what I read.

I think it's a case of wait till you are here, go see the schools you like (I had a short list compiled before we arrived and it got shorter very quickly once we were here) and then go with the one that appeals. Although for zoned schools, if they are applying the zone, they may not entertain you unless in the zone living.

Where we lived when we arrived, we always knew we were never going to settle there so our first school was a temp thing. It wasn't zoned so we were able to live further away from it. However, once we bought a house we moved further away still and bought in an area with a great school that was zoned. We purposely sought out areas to settle with schools we liked for the long term, worked for us. The early months were fine, but we always had the bigger picture in mind. So even if you don't start off at the school you prefer, you can transition to it later on once you find your feet and work out where you are going to settle.

I need t know the contact details of immigration office and e-mail address to contact them once I reach Adelaide. Today my agent asked me to send a e-mail to DSDimmigrationsaskill for informing them that I was granted a visa and my plans of arrival. Has anyone done this already and do you know whom to contact when you reach Adelaide. I know on state sponsorship visa everyone need to do some surveys and inform the department of any change in address or contact details- I want to know how and where to do that

Guest Sea Change @ Semaphore
Hi Amit,

Emma

Yes Rose Park and North Adelaide are very expensive suburbs. I am a local and cant afford this area. But good luck. It is easy distance to the city of Adelaide which is good if you gain work in the Adelaide city.

Thanks for your reply sea change@semaphore (and advice from Emma B and snifter!) , it is a case of waiting until we get there as these are big decisions, however all of your advice is proving very valuable! I am watching all of your stories and experiences unfold with interest as I sit and think of all we need to do between now and June.

Hi Amit ,

you will have a mail at your email address , that you would have provided at the time of filing immigration.

it will be something like this : http://status.migration.sa.gov.au/survey/register_form?login=some_login_specific_details_here'>http://status.migration.sa.gov.au/survey/register_form?login=some_login_specific_details_here

this should also be of help : http://status.migration.sa.gov.au/

Best of luck !

Rahul

Good luck with the sale of your house amit x

Hi Lorraine, you must feel relieved to be at this stage, I know there are probably very stressful times ahead but your on your way.....pleased to hear PSS were good, did you have to do an itinerary or do they do that? Have an amazing time in Vietnam and would love to meet up on the other side? We arrive 21st March x

Sorry Sam I didn't see this I think your packed and done now but if not no you don't need to x x

Thanks i started checking that... Any suggestions for Schools. My daughter will go to year 4 and I am bit nerves about choosing the school for her. I know it will be different when I actually see it

What areas are you considering? Did you research schools in areas you like the look of? There is a sticky thread in Education that has lots of links and info that may be useful. Also if you want specific info on education or a school or schools you would be better off starting a new thread in that area of the forum as many who may reply or who have knowledge perhaps won't read this thread.

Have you checked their websites and NAPLAN results and the myschool site for info on all of these?

Honestly, two you mention read on paper much better than the other two. I'd go visit them all and see what you like. I'd check those out first before the other two but that is just based on the paper reading and stuff, not because I know the schools.

I think I already told you I didn't rate or like Glenelg primary for a number of reasons, a big one being that its a huge primary school pupil wise and I felt my kid could get lost in it all in terms of if he wasn't coping it would not get picked up and academically it seemed lacking to me. Its now a zoned school but that is down to the sheer volume of numbers from what I can tell. Its right on a very busy main road junction and has small grounds. There are IMHO better primary options in and around suburbs around Glenelg. St Leonards is also zoned but seems to fare better on paper. I never really looked at it as it was Glenelg North and zoned then and we didn't live that side, we were south.

But please, start a new thread in Education as this thread doesn't seem to have so many replies from people already here as its about migrating in the future. Education will heopfully mean more eyes and more replies to your specific queries.

Also check this thread out for links to sites containing useful info on schools and Naplan results etc

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/education/44624-useful-links-schools-primary-high-school.html

Thanks a lot for this information, I will start a new thread in this... I have been looking at the following sites for information and ranking... Let me. Know if I am on right track: http://house.ksou.cn/topschool.php?sta=sa&type=2&filter=&year=5

http://bettereducation.com.au/school/Primary/sa/sa_top_primary_schools.aspx

These websites take T&E ranking for NAPLAN