Pet "Scary" spider...............

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

Is it just us or are others quite pleased to have a Huntsman spider in the house???

We have a "Fred" in residence at the moment, we consider him beneficial as he eats flies and other spiders.

We seem to have a "Where's Fred" thing going on in FB as he pops up all other - can Huntsman teleport???? . Fred seems to travel around the house very quickly.

He was in our bedroom last night.

I think his legs need waxing now.....

Fred1.jpg

Fred2.jpg

Fred3.jpg

I'm not too bad around spiders but there is no way I'd be able to cope with that in my house! I usually pick spiders up with a glass and a bit of card and put them outside but I don't think I have a glass big enough for that!!!

We found a white top in the house last week. We captured it (under the glass :) and had a family discussion as to whether it should be released in the garden or sprayed with the mortaine... We decided to release it although was told afterwards that we should have killed it as they are horrible things...! I'm so confused!! The Buddhist in me wants to live and let live but I don't want to get bitten!!! Eeek :/

Guest Guest75

We squish White tips I am afraid - they can give a really nasty bite.

Actually we could do with 2 Fred's ,one for each story in the house!!

Fred is not shy either - I find he just won't let me get close enough to tickle him or feed him flies....

Fred4.jpg

Fred looks very cute. I am not sure I could cope with a spider in the house though I bet there are some that I don't see. I admire your attitude towards them Tyke. I used to be terrified of those big moths but I don't mind these days, they have some gorgeous designs on their wings. Someone told me that the moths are the "spirit" of a departed loved one coming to visit you and it is a good sign.

Looking at your profession Toneless you might be meeting quite a few as you crawl through roof spaces...............:arghh::arghh:

Hi Tyke

I wouldn't have a problem with the spiders while I'm awake but i wouldn't have one in my bedroom while I was sleeping.

But no matter what i think it will be a major change from what we're used to on this side of the world. :swoon:

Guest Claire-n-tel
i wouldn't have one in my bedroom while I was sleeping.

I think you'll find you will :biglaugh:

Huntsmen are great tho.......they eat mozzies!.......oh and they don't spin webs so they don't leave clues to tell you they are there!

We have Harry the Huntsman in the garden recycle bin, he has survived many emptyings somehow! We also have Henry the Huntsman on the deck. None in the house......yet. No idea if they are both male tbh.

we did finally catch a dwarf skink yesterday in the house and release it outdoors. We had seen it darting around for a few weeks but never managed to get it before it disappeared.

The one white tip we found in the house was squished, millipedes go into the vacuum!

Oh dear, not sure how I am going to be in the same room with these little fellas! Although I am going to have to try and I suppose I'm not as scared as some so I'm hoping I will get use to all the little friends I'm going to make!!

This is a really small Huntsman...honest!

Strange thing is that we have never had one in Seaview house but you get them in all homes. Our first experience with one was when a monster (size of your hand) was in a cottage. As he knew nothing about local spiders but figuring that they can't be any worse than African ones my hubby went to catch it in an ice cream container. Big mistake... :biglaugh:He then discovered that they jump at you!! It landed on his head and he screamed like a girl!:biglaugh:

I had a call last year from someone who had a Huntsman on the outside deck at the house with the pool. I have a phobia for spiders. I don't do spiders!

"Welcome to Australia"...:smile:

Guest Claire-n-tel
Hope this isn't a female who's pregnant ,they have 100,s at a time I came across one in our bedroom that had taken her family on a trip around the ceiling ,babies everywhere !!!

No definitely looks like a boy!

Friend of mine keeps a can of extra strong hold hairspray around, and if she gets a huntsman in her house, gives it a good spray with that, re-locates it to the bottom of the garden and tells it to pray for rain!

We don't seem to get hunstmen in the house now we have cats - and the cats are pretty good at catching any flies in the house too. Win/win

What you need to worry about is getting one in the car - never leave your car parked with windows open - even a tiny bit! They have caused more road accidents I understand than any other spider!

Guest Claire-n-tel
Friend of mine keeps a can of extra strong hold hairspray around, and if she gets a huntsman in her house, gives it a good spray with that, re-locates it to the bottom of the garden and tells it to pray for rain!

Diane please tell me you are joking?:frown:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest75
So how's Fred going?

Fred (or Fredwina) is still with us thanks.

Now downstairs in the sunroom, the door is open to the outside world but he seems to like it here.

He made an appearance on Saturday night much to the "enjoyment" of visitors.:shocked:

I've noticed a few "Fredlets", hope he/she has not hatched a batch,it'll take me forever to evict.

Fred is needed back in the house properly, we have had quite a few White Tip spiders around the house this last week - I have to put something on my feet!!:confused: