Lazy Cow

Our 'Happy Place'

We took our dogs down the beach thus morning. :cool:

We love our walk on the pristine beach, watching the dogs run around, meeting new friends / butts, dashing in and out of the water...heavenly!

Anyway, that's not why I'm posting.

I simply wanted to remind people, especially new arrivals, that the sand gets super-hot on warm days.

Life is made easier by the fact dogs are only allowed off-leash on most beaches between 8PM - 10AM, however please check the retained heat of any sand / paths you intend to walk your animals on.

I usually see if I can comfortably walk barefoot before we venture out.

Oh, and here's another thought... carry water and a bowl, especially if in a car, for the rare times you might see an animal that looks in need of a drink. I've given water to a few (oh, all right...four!) koalas that were in need of some water.

Please put water out in a bird bath for sure, but also in bowls for smaller animals that might need it. Possibly not too near any doors you leave open though!

:wubclub: LC

Edited by Lazy Cow

Guest Claire-n-tel

Watch out for out door dog bowls though, Stan got a bee sting on the tongue followed by a visit to the vets this week after sharing his bowl with a bee :swoon:image.jpg

Guest Guest75

Good advice on the doggie walking ,our boys won't be having their evening walk as the paving will be too hot, it grinds my gears when I see "barefoot" dogs being dragged over searing hot paths!

Stan got a bee sting on the tongue followed by a visit to the vets this week after sharing his bowl with a bee

Wow! Poor Stan :frown:! I've never even thought of renegade bees attacking by water! How lucky was he that you realised what had happened? I hope he's all better now :wubclub:.

Yes, Tyke, me too. There was a picture, on Facebook, of a dog's badly burned paws. It was unbelievable, and truly a form of abuse. Sickening.

Even the yard can get too hot to walk on, so if you have outside dogs you need to ensure they can reach shade, water etc without burning their paws en route.

LC

Good points to raise LC. The ground gets incredibly hot here once it warms up. I do feel for the dogs being made to walk on the sidewalks or roads on hot days. Their poor feet must be burning.

We are doing our bit as I have a water bath for the birds in a quiet part of the garden from us that they can visit as and when. I put fresh water in daily to ensure its clean. I also have a few plant pot base dishes out around the garden on the ground for birds and wildlife. Again, refill those daily. I've tried to put them in spots that stay shady all day so they don't dry out. I notice the birds know where they are and seek them out.

I know our neughbours with gumtrees in their backyards visited by the local koalas put water out for them too. At the base so they can't miss it hopefully.

I know hubby sees lots of koalas when out on his bike in the hills and he is fully prepared to stop and give water if needed.