Looking for any Opportunity to Start Work Immediately

looking4work

Hi,

I migrated in Adelaide in July 2014. By profession I am an IT guy, I applied for numerous jobs and got very rare interview calls, unfortunately still I am unable to secure any job in IT field (even casual jobs like data entry, help desk L1, L2 etc). I have finished all my savings as I am living here with my family. Now I am looking for some casual jobs that can give me a little relief regarding finance. I am willing to do any job that may be on gas station, in retail, customer services, data entry or any casual job.

Any advise from you people to get any job that can give me an immediate cash income will be highly appreciated.

Thanking in anticipation.

My best regards,

This is what I fear the most.... Having said that. I am sure you know about LinkedIn - login and connect with people in IT and ask if they have any work or if the can refer. Trust me it works. Have you visited the agents directly and consulted why are you not getting a job, may be you are doing something wrong or have something wrong with your resume.

Hi Amir,

Certainly I am making linkedin contacts, but it take some time and then the matter of luck to click somewhere.

Regarding agents, they don't bother to entertain you directly.

only you can approach to reception of recruitment agency and that ends.

The problem with me is only lack of local experience, due to which I am filtered out all the time.

Even for the casual jobs they prefer the local ones.

For immigrants they have extremely high standards, extremely difficult to meet those standards.

Guest Claire-n-tel
Holiday season is a bad month for finding jobs. The market will open again in jan with companies with fresh hiring budgets.

Hi Amit :smile:.....unfortunately you things are not likely to pick up again until February once the school holidays are over......as for budgets, new budgets will start on July 1st when the new financial year begins......

Thanks for the correction, still living the U.S. Budget cycle.

I am planning to come in June and looking at the opportunities from the past 4 months under my profession. The possibility of me securing a job writhing business continuity management is grim.

Thanks guys.

Keep on posting. Your guidance and comments are valuable for us.

We moved back to Adelaide 7 months ago after having to move to country Victoria for a couple of years to secure our PR through sponsored employment. My wife sent out emails and letters to potential employers in her field about 3 months before our return and through that secured a full time job the week we got back to Adelaide. I was out of work for 4 months (longest I've ever been in that situation) despite applying for jobs in my recent field (journalism) and previous roles in admin, customer service and data entry as well as numerous others fields I thought I could try my hand at. Eventually got a group interview for multiple positions as water meter reader. Never thought I'd end up doing something that different. It's casual but virtually full time and they need people who are reliable and trustworthy. It's quite hard work in some respects and can be frustrating to start with and you need to be pretty fit as there's a lot of walking and scrambling under bushes sometimes. Think a few people have left recently so will ask about vacancies.

We moved back to Adelaide 7 months ago after having to move to country Victoria for a couple of years to secure our PR through sponsored employment. My wife sent out emails and letters to potential employers in her field about 3 months before our return and through that secured a full time job the week we got back to Adelaide. I was out of work for 4 months (longest I've ever been in that situation) despite applying for jobs in my recent field (journalism) and previous roles in admin, customer service and data entry as well as numerous others fields I thought I could try my hand at. Eventually got a group interview for multiple positions as water meter reader. Never thought I'd end up doing something that different. It's casual but virtually full time and they need people who are reliable and trustworthy. It's quite hard work in some respects and can be frustrating to start with and you need to be pretty fit as there's a lot of walking and scrambling under bushes sometimes. Think a few people have left recently so will ask about vacancies.

Thanks Burgermeister for your input.

would be highly obliged if you can share a link where to go for meter reader role.

Also, would appreciate if you can further share an experience

of writing emails directly to potential employers. Where to get list of potential employers, whom to address etc.

Once again many thanks for your valuable inputs.

Thanks Burgermeister for your input.

would be highly obliged if you can share a link where to go for meter reader role.

Also, would appreciate if you can further share an experience

of writing emails directly to potential employers. Where to get list of potential employers, whom to address etc.

Once again many thanks for your valuable inputs.

Spoke to supervisor and they've just filled 12 posts in the past week or so with a group of young guys from a football club. Will keep an ear open in case more positions turn up. When I applied it was advertised on Indeed.com. I applied for exactly 50 jobs before I got this one. Supervisor said it's ok for me to give you his email address to send him your cv so will pm you (probably tomorrow).

When I was looking for journalism work 4 years ago (as a mature aged student just finishing uni) I looked up a list of suitable organisations throughout SA and sent emails to the editors outlining my interest with a brief background, cv and portfolio of work. I also applied for about 25 jobs in 4 different states as getting a regional job (sponsored) was the only way for us to stay in Oz. Got a job in Victoria within 10 weeks (as the editor was looking for someone a bit older). But within another few weeks I had calls from 2 in SA who had kept my enquiry emails.

My wife did the same when we were planning to move back to SA, just looked up vet practices in the area and sent emails to practice managers. She got a call a few days before we moved, from one who needed someone quickly, had an interview the day after we got back and started the following week.

Job market is tough all round here at the moment I think, and frustrating as we're unlikely to have much of a contacts network, but personally I believe perseverance pays off in the end. Good luck.

Hi looking4work,

I saw your post and thought of giving you some pointers:-

Please visit Manpower Associates in CBD, they have many manual labour jobs, convince them you desperately need a job to survive. They have couple of nice consultants there, they might help you. make appropriate cv to suit such job otherwise not worth going there.

Also, go to Chandler McLloyd, All staff resources etc for Process Work jobs..........look for process work jobs you may get some. Also, make appropriate cv, otherwise not worth going there.

Hello there,

Actually I am new in this forum, I have lodged in May2014 and I am waiting for my visa(190- Adelaide). I am a SAP consultant working in SD/PS/PM/CS modules. Probably IT guys know my field.

It seems finding job there is a big deal. Do you have any idea of how the job market is in my field? I myself check seek every day and find some related opportunities but not too many :nah:.

I would be very appreciative if you have any recommendations for me.

Edited by mojan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mojan,

I am also from SAP BASIS. I migrated in Aug 2014 and still looking for work in SAP or in Oracle Databases or in help desk or in any IT related field, but still no luck. Almost every recruiter/employer prefer the candidates with local experience. Brother its matter of luck to find job in Adelaide, still I am unlucky. One of my IT friend moved interstate, because he couldn't get any job even after getting advance diploma in networking.

I hope for the best.