Lorraineandsean

Had a tax file number as a backpacker, have no record of it 10 years ago ! Any advice

Hi all, we are heading over in March and just looking to sort our my tax file number, I remember having a tax file number as a backpacker, but don't have any documents relating to it as it was a long while ago, I cannot find any email addresses to contact to investigate this further, there is a 5 digit number to call, but I cannot seem to ring it from the uk.

any advice much appreciated

Lorraine

Edited by Lorraineandsean

There is a bit when you apply asking if you have had one before. You can't do it until you get here though. I ticked the bit to say I've had one before and they still gave me a new one (unless by a huge coincidence the tfn one number different became available for my husband).

Hi all, we are heading over in March and just looking to sort our my tax file number, I remember having a tax file number as a backpacker, but don't have any documents relating to it as it was a long while ago, I cannot find any email addresses to contact to investigate this further, there is a 5 digit number to call, but I cannot seem to ring it from the uk.

any advice much appreciated

Lorraine

Hi

This should help: https://iar.ato.gov.au/IARWeb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=1&outcome=1

If you do end up with the same number as when you were a backpacker it's likely that the number would be based on being a non-tax resident.

Just touch base with ATO prior to starting work here to make sure (or change if necessary) it is registered for you as a tax resident (assuming your intention is to remain in Oz of course) otherwise you could end up paying the higher rate of tax applicable to non residents.

Regards

Andy

I went into the tax office in the city and the guy gave me my tax file number from when I had been over as a backpacker, there was no problems using the same one

Hi

This should help: https://iar.ato.gov.au/IARWeb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=1&outcome=1

If you do end up with the same number as when you were a backpacker it's likely that the number would be based on being a non-tax resident.

Just touch base with ATO prior to starting work here to make sure (or change if necessary) it is registered for you as a tax resident (assuming your intention is to remain in Oz of course) otherwise you could end up paying the higher rate of tax applicable to non residents.

Regards

Andy

A quick note to say that the resident/non-resident issue is dealt with:

> On the TFN Declaration which should be completed in respect of each PAYG employment

> On the Australian income tax return annually

What it says on the Tax File Number advice shouldn't impact how you are taxed.

Best regards.