Aussie Passport

sueoc

Anyone know the fastest way to get a passport ....my son is going on holiday 27 December .He is a citizen but only has UK passport .He did not realise that he needs an Australian passport to travel ....even though I have told him get his passport sorted ages ago...anyway now in panic mode. Can he get a residence return visa and still use UK passport? Grateful for any advice.

:cool::arghh:

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

As far as I'm aware, your visa becomes null and void once you gain citizenship so he wouldn't be able to apply for a RRV. The only thing to do would be to get the aussie passport. Don't they do priority processing? Although even that could be pushing it over Christmas...

If he is an Aus citizen he needs an Australian Passport to return to this country. He cannot use a RRV and he is not eligible for a tourist visa.

My grandchildren all had to have Aussie Passports to visit after they had taken citizenship and had to apply overseas.

Try going with all his information, forms, signed photos, and citizenship cert to the Passport Office in Currie St.

They issue within two days for priority processing but they are only open Mon and Tues, so he is cutting it fine even for that. I would be there waiting for them to open Monday.

If all else fails, he can leave the country on his UK passport, and argue with immigration on the way back, if the airline allow him to fly.

I feel for you, these kids are all the same. Stressful!

The Australian Passport Information Service (APIS) are open for enquiries over the weekend, so perhaps he could call them tomorrow?

Their number is: 131 232

There is a priority processing service, which still might be touch and go for your son, as I think they guarantee issuing within two working days...but then you have to add posting times UNLESS he can go in and do it. I don't know how much it costs, but I don't think he has much choice!

Fingers crossed he remembers all the right documents, takes proof of when he's going to travel, and has a photo that meets their criteria. We had ours thrown back twice, despite getting the first lot done at a place claiming to do acceptable passport photos. It was much better when we had them done at the post office.

I'm sure he'll be ok.

:cool:

LC

He is not at all stressed by this situation, he only told me a few hours ago that he had booked this holiday. He thinks he will just go anyway using UK passport. Bloody kids, even when they are grown up they cause stress. Thanks for taking time to answer....I know he needs a passport, was just hoping there was another option :goofy:

Anyone tried returning on UK passport....maybe taking Australian Citizenship certificate for proof of duel nationality ?

It is a legal requirement in Australian that Australian citizens travel on an Australian passport. I only found out when I tried to apply for visitor visas online for my kids long before we moved here and got told I couldn't because they have citizenship and have to travel on Australian passports (they have citizenship by descent). I doubt the airlines would let him return without a valid Australian passport or visa, although I'm open to be proven wrong.

Where is he going? My friend's son went to the UK and then realised he needed an aussie passport to get back - his mum couriered all his documents (certificates etc) to him in England and he got his Aussie passport from the Aussie consulate there.

He is off to Bali ...we hope to get passport from Currie Street next week ....he said he is going anyway...I told him he will be in next seasons Nothing To Declare....

Update...appointment made at passport office for Monday. If passport not ready in time they will deliver it to embassy in Bali so he can pick it up before he gets to airport on his way home ....phew that was a close call, hope this is a warning to all other new citizens !

Update on passport dilemma... My son got an appointment at Adelaide passport office on Monday morning, paid $350 , was told it might not be ready in time as office closes today at 4pm. He picked his passport up from Currie Street this afternoon. Fantastic service. He is off to Bali in a few days and I can relax knowing that he can get back into this country.