Guest topcat1

Electrical

Guest topcat1

Hi guys, just a quick one

can we take our electrical stuff eg tv and dvds player or do you think it would be a waste of money shipping them out:unsure:is it going to be compatable??????????

tracey

hi Tracey, I'm not out there yet,but as an electrician I have looked at the australian voltage which is the same as ours(240 volt) so you'll be OK with your Electrical gear, you may have to change the plugs, your TV may be an issue, if you have a pAL/NSTC option you should be OK, best someone there answer you that one, Paul.

Guest Sharon and Paul

HI top cat, we decided its not worth having a container to take our own things across ? The shipping companys wanted £4500.00 and with insurance another £1500.00 . To me you can buy a lot of furniture with that also you can sell what you got here ?. I was told that the fridges are not man enough for oz the televisions might not work the 3 piece suite I am sick of , even though its only 3 years old. So we are going to send a few things in boxes . The down side to my plan is we won't be surrounded by our own furniture but we will have our pictures and photos etc: only thing is it might seem as if we are on holiday and not moved permanently. Do your sums? and good luck.

Guest Guzzler&Sas

All electric appliances will work with the switch of a plug, TV's some do some don't but if you run them through a Ozzie video or set top box no probs, fridges and freezers will work okay,

Guzzler

Guest jill wright

Thats a big help knowing we only need to change the plugs on elecrical stuff cos we're gonna try and take the lot , I want my own things round me

Jill

Guest sarahsmartiepants

We bought everything with us and glad we did! Everything works , one of the tvs needed a set top box and now that is fine!

The fridge has kept the beer cold and the ice cream frozen in the garden now for 2 summers no probs.

There is no way we could have furnished this house with cost of shipping in a million years!

sarah

Guest jill wright

That'll do for me Sarah like i say I want to bring everything

Jill

Guest Guzzler&Sas
    We bought everything with us and glad we did! Everything works , one of the tvs needed a set top box and now that is fine!

The fridge has kept the beer cold and the ice cream frozen in the garden now for 2 summers no probs.

There is no way we could have furnished this house with cost of shipping in a million years!

sarah

Couldn't agree more

Guzzler

Guest topcat1

thanks guys,

its reasuring to know we can take all our gear.just have to work out now money wise wetherits worth it or not with shipping and stuff,give you lots to think about.

thanks again

tracey

As others have mentioned, the voltage shouldn't be a problem.

We brought 2 x TVs with us, one had built-in freeview, the other didn't. It's highly unlikely that anything Freeview you bring will work, so ditch any boxes or PVRs you have. If your TVs have a multi-system analogue tuner then you'll be fine, if not then I'd suggest a digibox - there's far more choice on digital anyway.

Anone other issue that you'll come across with TVs is scart, or the lack of it - they don't really use it over here so either factor this into your decision (to keep or not to keep) or simply get hold of some s-video+audio to scart cables while you're still there - try www.tvcables.co.uk .

If your DVD player isn't multiregion, let me know and I'll see if I can find a hack for it ;-) Australia is PAL region 4, by the way. For analogue they use PAL B/G, same as a lot of Europe (except France).

Justin.

Guest topcat1

thanks for that justin,its all great info

tracey