cormcvcr

Starting my own business!!!!

Hi all,

I'm just on to pick all your brains.......AGAIN!!!!

I have been approached by a few people to ask if I have a weight loss clinic and if I would be interested in helping them.

To let you all understand I was a weight loss advisor in the NHS Scotland and was trained by a Dietitian.

Although I am not qualified, I do have a vast knowledge of fitness and nutrition as it is something that I have been interested in for years.

And the way I see it, a lot of weight loss clinics are set up by unqualified people, they have just had the experience of losing weight and thought they would open up their own diet club! So with this in mind why not me?

The major difference with what I do is that it is small lifestyle changes at the pace of the individual, therefore no diet to follow, just small changes each week with the added bonus of weight loss! I feel a lot of diet companies are just rip off merchants and want you to buy their products, but mine would just be looking at peoples current habits and trying to make adjustments that they are ready to cope with and feel they would be successful with without having to follow a diet sheet!!!

Can any of you see a market for this if I had to start this working from home initially?

I need to work and was looking at within schools as I was a classroom assistant before this, I have two children so need to work around them and starting my own business just seems the perfect solution because it is something that I know and love!

Let me know what you all think.

Just thought that I would add.......

I am not suggesting for a moment that all you lovely people on PIA are in need of my help, but if you were in a situation where you wanted to improve your diet...................

would you take the advice from someone like myself?

Thanks Liz,

I was thinking of a free chat first of all, this would be to advise the type of thing that I do and for the person to decide if it is something that they could see themselves being able to achieve, together with the type of information that I would need to help them achieve their goals. time 10 minutes

Then around $35 for the first consultation, as this generally takes a bit longer to explain and is a lot more indepth. Also weight check and waist measurement. 20/30 minutes.

Then around $20 per visit thereafter, as it is just a check in to see progress, check weight, discuss any issues that may have arisen and how to cope with them. Move forward with changes if possible.

Visits are recommended every two weeks (but can be every week), usually you only need to come for about 3 months, then monthly, quarterly thereafter, this just keeps things in check and make sure that you have not lapsed. If the individual feels they need extra support, then the visits can be kept more regular. This is accompanied by discussions to focus on the areas of change and also to keep things simple.

Two changes are made on each visit and are kept in for the next visit with an additional two changes, but only if the individual is ready to move forward, as this is not meant to be a stressful change.

This is designed as a full lifestyle change and not a diet, it is easily managed and affordable as you buy from the supermarket as normal. The changes that are brought in can be integrated within the family so easily that they won't even realise.

It is a one-to-one consultation and focuses only on you and your needs. You are not handed a diet sheet, but given information on how to put small changes into practice.

ie. if you eat 3 bags of crisps per day, one of the goal changes would be for you only to eat 2 per day for 2 weeks. Now this may seem like a insignificant change, but I can assure you that it will make a difference in the bigger scheme of things.

Guest alibongo

Hi

You are quite right why not you. Seems like you have the experience to start the business and wherever you go in the world if we can help just a little to change peoples lifestyles to help them to avoid ill health in the future ..well thats gotto be a good thing..I am a practice nurse so pretty much most of my job involves chatting about lifestylechanges.. You go for it ..Like you say you have to fit in with the children and why not do something you have experience in.

Good luck

Ali

Guest Libby1971

I think the idea is great.

Job share opportunities are few and far between whichever hemisphere you live in and finding something term time only is very hard. I know quite a few people who are finding it hard to find work to fit around the kids.

As for the topic, well play to your strengths. If this is your forte and you like it, go with it!!!

Libby

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Good luck Cornelia!

The idea seems good to me....that would be until you tell me to kick the wine or chocolate.

If I am anything to go on most of us seem to put on weight when they get here, not sure why????????????????

I have a stone to lose still!!!

sarah

Thanks for the words of encouragement Sarah,

I still have my glass of wine and would never dream of giving up chocolate.......I'd love to see the brave person who would try and stop me!!!!

It's all about moderation and doing more good than bad. You have been doing excellent anyway, not long till you're running around cutting hair whilst in your bikini x

I better keep that last comment away from my OH, he's going to call you over the next couple of days for a haircut!

Guest Guest75

Sounds a good idea.

The weight loss industry is multi million dollar so why not have a piece of it.

Especially if you are offering the "real deal" and no gimmicks/fads.Your background seems just right for it.

Judging by the overweight population here you will have a good client base.

For setting up in business you might want to chat to an accountant.

I can't recommend ours highly enough.

Doug Booth

Southern Taxation Services

8326 1426

Office on Beach road so not far away - he does home visits as well.

He's just claimed a nice tax rebate for us again:D:D

Guest mOZzy

i think that's a good idea!

many people just need someone to kick them, that's probably why so many of them diet clubs have so many members!

and of course a well balanced (outsider) view and possible (!) changes will help on top!

you could always advertise and start it up and see where it takes you ...

if there is only a few interested it will give you some nice pocket money if it evolved further you still can work on it full time!!

just a shame about 'my' bar really ... you'll have to stock it up with something ehm, ... well ... more suitable :wacko:

just a shame about 'my' bar really ... you'll have to stock it up with something ehm, ... well ... more suitable :wacko:

Your bar has to go on a diet anyway!!! but I couldn't possibly help it all by myself!!:biglaugh:

Guest Roo1

I think its a fab idea mate. Just start off small and see where it takes you. You are a great advert for it anyway, you obviously practice what you preach!

Judi x

Hi Cornelia

That sounds a great idea.

I will be looking into starting my own business when I arrive in August doing Yoga with kids & adults , you never know we could help each other out with clients, you slim them and I can stretch them.

Cheers

Jak

Hi there,

sounds good, I just hope it takes off, as another member of PIA has just contacted me and they are a qualified personal trainer in the UK and working towards the equivalent criteria here.

So fingers crossed we could have a good system going!

P.s. I got kicked out of a yoga class for laughing too much, when everybody was supposed to be quiet! But I'll save the full story for when I see you x

Guest ozzy wannabe

Hi Captain

I like the idea of being weighed every week, Would you consider something like the weight watcher thing?

Being weighed every week used to make me want to loose weight too.

Vicky

Guest Leanne & Mark

And although its along way off i plan on going to Flinders Uni , to become a dietitian!!!!

I think busy people are prepared to pay for that personal service hence the surge in life coaches, personal fitness trainers, so I see a niche for the personal diet coach, whether it's just to lose weight or to plan diets that fit in with manicly busy life styles. With the right marketing you could do well.

Good luck

Rachel

Hi Captain

I like the idea of being weighed every week, Would you consider something like the weight watcher thing?

Being weighed every week used to make me want to loose weight too.

Vicky

Hi Vicky,

Weight Watchers like many other diet clubs, have their places within society and they work for people, some short term others long term......but for me the thought of having to count points and red day green days with a lot of diets just puts added pressure onto an already hectic lifestyle.

It should be easy, simple and hassle free.

I get you to eat normal meals, but make sure you are getting the nutritional balance right, you don't have to keep looking up books to see what you can and can't have, go out to dinner and panic because everything on the menu has more points than you are allowed. It's all about compromise and moderation.

Knowing you have done well and not putting yourself through an emotional rollercoaster just because you had an extra 3 chips!

It's about education and putting small changes into practice and making it work for you not the other way about.

There is no gimmicks, no sales, just plain old healthy eating that will make you feel better inside and look better outside.

You set the goals, not me, you know where you feel happy and comfortable, not me, I just work with you and help you achieve these goals!

Hi everyone,

just to say thanks for all your feedback and words of encouragement, I am going to give it a try, so if you know of anyone who would like any healthy eating advice then PM me and I'll call them and you don't have to be overweight to get the advice, it also helps to make you feel better! or even if you want to get a bit fitter I have a friend who is a personal trainer or you could even do both!!!!

Now for the hard bit I just need to think up a name for the company!!!! AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

Hi all,

I've got the name for my new business now it's called......wait for it.........BETTER HEALTH

It's straight to the point, which is what seems to be the norm here, so watch this space!!!!!

Guest sarahsmartiepants
    Thanks for the words of encouragement Sarah,

It's all about moderation and doing more good than bad. You have been doing excellent anyway, not long till you're running around cutting hair whilst in your bikini x

quote]

Hee hee I have been known to in th Uk, but of course then I only weighed 51 kg instead of the 62 I weigh now!!! :arghh:

sarah

Guest caoimhe
    Thanks Liz,

I was thinking of a free chat first of all, this would be to advise the type of thing that I do and for the person to decide if it is something that they could see themselves being able to achieve, together with the type of information that I would need to help them achieve their goals. time 10 minutes

Then around $25 for the first consultation, as this generally takes a bit longer to explain and is a lot more indepth. Also weight check and waist measurement. 20/30 minutes.

Then around $15 per visit thereafter, as it is just a check in to see progress, check weight, discuss any issues that may have arisen and how to cope with them. Move forward with changes if possible.

I go to WW in the UK and I know you are not basing your business on them but your prices are similar to theirs but with a more personnal approach. Which is great as most people couldn't afford a "life coach". count me in if I don;t shift as much as I need before I get out there, and even if I do I would really need helping staying healthly:jiggy:

Hi there,

I will keep you to that, it's all about maintenance and keeping on track but still allowing yourself your treats. As I said every club has it's place in society, but I just couldn't do the group thing, so although you say the prices are similar (which I didn't know) you have hit the nail on the head, one-to-one, it's not about anybody else, you pay the money, you get the time spent on you!

Everybody is different so no 2 eating plans should be the same! That's the major thing i've got against the clubs, why should I have the same diet as someone else and it cost me a fortune on top of that just to buy the stuff in the books.....oh and buying the books too!!

Rant over, look forward to meeting you.x