samandcraig

Joiner arriving March (23yrs experience)

Hi, just wanted to see if anyone might know how the construction industry is out in adelaide t the moment? I arrive end of March and would like to start work as soon as possible, so thought I would try and get a feel for how busy/ quiet this sector is at the moment? Any feedback would be appreciated.......

cheers craig

Hi, just wanted to see if anyone might know how the construction industry is out in adelaide t the moment? I arrive end of March and would like to start work as soon as possible, so thought I would try and get a feel for how busy/ quiet this sector is at the moment? Any feedback would be appreciated.......

cheers craig

Hi there.

I'm not a builder or carpenter etc, but spend a lot of time on building sites.

I can say honestly there is a huge amount of construction going on, the two big sites I work on are lightsview and St clair.

I guess you would have to work for the big building companies to get a job.

Cheers.

Get out as soon as possible and visit the local building sites. There are often jobs that are not advertised. There is plenty of building work going on around where we live due to the local council changing its building laws. Many 1960 homes are being detonated and replaced with 3 homes.There are also developments in Seaford and Moana but it depends where you will be living as to how far these are for travel purposes.

Get out as soon as possible and visit the local building sites. There are often jobs that are not advertised. There is plenty of building work going on around where we live due to the local council changing its building laws. Many 1960 homes are being detonated and replaced with 3 homes.There are also developments in Seaford and Moana but it depends where you will be living as to how far these are for travel purposes.

thankyou for this info.....I will arrive in March, I will be staying in port noarlunga for the first 4 weeks, but willing to travel for work, as we haven't decided where we will settle yet. I need to get my white card as soon as I get there, any idea on how long that takes? Cheers craig

I need to get my white card as soon as I get there, any idea on how long that takes? Cheers craig

The White Card only takes a day...have a look at these couple of websites for more information. I would recommend undertaking the course in person at a training organisation, rather than doing it online, as some employers state they will not accept online versions. It is also a good opportunity to get chatting to people on the course with you and networking for work opportunities.

http://www.peer.com.au/Training/UpskillTraining/WHS/WhiteCardCommonSafetyInducution/tabid/273/Default.aspx

http://civiltrainsa.com.au/index.cfm

The White Card only takes a day...have a look at these couple of websites for more information. I would recommend undertaking the course in person at a training organisation, rather than doing it online, as some employers state they will not accept online versions. It is also a good opportunity to get chatting to people on the course with you and networking for work opportunities.

http://www.peer.com.au/Training/UpskillTraining/WHS/WhiteCardCommonSafetyInducution/tabid/273/Default.aspx

http://civiltrainsa.com.au/index.cfm

Brilliant, Thankyou very much :smile:

I would encourage you to buy The Advertiser on a Saturday which includes the job supplement, some employers only advertise in the newspaper rather than on seek (because they are inundated with applications, often completely unsuitable) and there may be less competition. Often it can also be a case of first come first serve (if there is a lot of competition in a particular field), so if you see a job advertised get onto it straight away, don't hang around and make it clear you are available to start straight away.

I would also be slightly cautious of stating '23 years experience' and use your judgement with the company (which as a new arrival I know can be hard), to a recruiter this can either mean you are experienced or especially in manual/physical work this can mean you might be 'worn out'. I am just pointing out what does happen as opposed to what should happen. As I say, use your judgement. There is an organisation in Adelaide called DOME which assists mature aged people to gain work and you can access their services if you are over 40!!!!! I nearly choked on my coffee when I heard that as I have now moved into the 'mature' age bracket!!!! :arghh:

Thanks again, I will take your advice on......I am 40 this year! Ha. I trained with my dad who is a joiner, and my two older brothers, I stared in the workshop when I was really young but obviosly only started to get my qualifications once I had turned 16. It's something I have done all my life, running workshops and being on site during this time, so I'm pretty much willing to do any form of joinery