Bushfires, Wildlife and Help.

Lazy Cow

It's hard to stop thinking about what's happening in the Hills at the moment, and I'm sure we're all keen to help.

Apart from spreading info - which can be a lifesaver, literally - it would be great if anyone could post suggestions as to what we can do.

i understand from someone up there*, that they have enough water etc at the moment; I don't know whether the call will go back out tomorrow.

I'm told they are still on the lookout for agistment for stock. There seem to have been a fair few floats offered to transport animals, which is great.

So, at the moment I'm thinking I will take animal food to one of the animal rescues, but does anyone have any other / better ideas?

Oh, and let's not forget the wildlife wherever it is - please keep putting out water in shallow containers, such as ice cream containers (see, I remembered, Snifter!) under bushes, near trees etc for the koalas, bandicoots etc. It's precious little effort and could save an animal's life.

Be safe everyone.

LC

* the area, not some 'higher power'!

I've just seen this from NARGA Disaster Response Team. They need grain mix, roo pellets, carrots, apples, rolled oats, grain, and lucerne. If anyone can help, their drop off point is : 4138, Old Princes Highway, White Hill and the contact is Rachel on 0403 269 953.

Or for human stuff, there's a drop off at Katrine Hildyard, MP, corner of Randell Rd 198 Main South Road. Open between 9.30 and 12.30 tomorrow, they are eager to receive well...just about anything non-perishable. They ask that donations are put in large snap lick bags, or plastic bags, and the focus seems to be on items for personal use (toothbrushes, dry shampoo, sanitary products etc) and things to keep kids and adults amused (cards, crossword puzzles, play dough, lollies), phone chargers, batteries, headphones for phones, phone charge battery packs...sunscreen..dog bowls, leashes, etc etc.

Animal Welfare Edinburgh and Wingfield sites are open from 10am to 3.30 pm. Edinburgh is asking for bags of ice apparently. Any animal-related foods etc most gratefully received.

Strange isn't it. I couldn't find anything, now I've asked I know a bit more.

Let's all do what we can to help. You never know when it might be you needing the help (although I certainly hope it isn't!).

:notworthy: LC

Not just an ice cream tub for water. That's good for animals but not for many birds. Birds can die from heat exhaustion or lack of water so it's important to help them drink too.

I've noticed the lorikeets and some other birds don't drink from these with ease so I put out some flatter dishes for them to drink from along with the bird bath. Can just use clay or plastic plant pot bases, fairly large ones as some birds like to splash too. I have a number dotted around the garden and top them up a few times a day. Shady spots away from the house are good so water doesn't disappear in five minutes. Lorikeets and tree feeding birds still seem to prefer birdbaths off the ground or a drinker higher up. Miners and ground feeding birds seem happy to use flat dishes.

Salvation Army are taking non perishable donations apparently.

I'm going to gather up some stuff to drop off today. Also there will be a website or something on the CFS site for the action plan to collect aid so I am sure we'll all be able to donate locally soon enough. They said they were working on the site/plan to list it today.

I was reading a list of the sort of things suggested to include

Kids games/books (small)

Toiletries (toothpaste, brushes, deodorant, shampoo etc)

Nappys and wipes

Paper plates/plastic cups

There was more. Will come back and post it if I can find it.

This link has ideas and also links/numbers. I am sure more official collections will appear.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/sa-bushfires-how-can-i-help/story-fnl1ee8j-1227173690965

Some of the links/info

HOW CAN I HELP?

CHECK out our SA Fires Community Noticeboard here

DONATIONS can be made to the CFS here at cfsfoundation.org.au

CALL the SA Bushfire Recovery hotline - 1800 302 787 - from 8.30am on Sunday. The hotline is for people who have lost their home, suffered trauma or other loss - or for others wanting to provide financial donations to support affected communities.

VISIT www.volunteeringsa.org.au and follow the links for information on assisting the recovery.

THE CFS has asked that donations of food and water should not be made at CFS stations, where volunteers are coming and going to fight the fire. The State Recovery Office is working on a website which will provide information about how people can make donations to the CFS. More information can be found here.

Here is a list or two I read last night. Some good ideas for things to dontate.

Kids books & play items/toys/games

Baby supplies - nappies, wipes, formula

Phone chargers, batteries, torches

Paper plates, plastic cups, napkins, glad wrap, zip lock bags

An update from Adelaide Fires has also stated that protective items - overalls, boots, dust masks, protective eye wear, gardening-type gloves, brooms, dustpans, garbage bags and cleaning products would be the most useful at the moment to assist people to return to their homes, as they have already received significant donations of other non-perishables.

NON PERISHABLES ONLY.

Using a large snap lock bag or plastic bag

-put together packs of lollies, books, crossword puzzles, deck of cards etc. Keeping evacuees occupied and relaxed during this time is so important.

-put together a kit of kids books, play dough, puppets, small beanbags, lollies etc. Keeping kids happy and to provide them with any form of sensory based play is great to reduce worry and distress

-toiletries kit (toothbrush, toothpaste, lip balm, hand cream, sanitary products, soap, hand sanitizer, small shampoo and conditioners, or dry shampoo)

-baby supplies formula, nappies, wipes, toys, dummy's etc.

-phone chargers and phone charge battery packs are worth their weight in GOLD.

-batteries, torches, headphones for phones,

-plastic or paper plates, cups, cutlery for evacuation centres to serve donated food on

-alfoil, glad wrap, snap lock bags are good too for evac centres

-sunscreen, plastic bats and balls, chalk, outdoor toys for evac centres

-pet food, collars, leads, pet toys, water bowls, litter trays

Remember; every little bit helps, but there is no use in bombarding drop-off points with food and donations that will go to waste. Think smart, useful packs are the best way to go. We will co-ordinate volunteers and deliveries to those affected

Edited by snifter

This from Open Paddocks about 20 mins ago:

Since friday, Wendy Roles and a group of others moved over 35 horses mostly to the gawler river, angle vale, lewiston areas. They are requiring feed donations and also anyone around those areas that are able to take in horses as a lot went to the Adelaide Hills Equine Clinic and are only able to be there short term.

We have organised for anyone wanting to make donations of horse feed/hay to drop off what you have or make a purchase at Angle Vale Fodder Store, Angle Vale Road, Angle Vale SA 5117; (08) 8284 9313, and they will pallet the feed up for it to be distributed amongst the relocated horses. Wendy is heading back up to the hills to help get more out. If you can take any horses from the clinic please forward me you contact number and i will pass it onto Wendy so she can ensure the horses are going to safe properties.

Thanks in advance to everyone for their kindness.

The donations drop off in Morphett Vale is full to busting apparently.

The orgnaiser is now compiling a list of the charities and organisations that people can donate to so their money goes to work to aid the recovery asap. Also to groups and organisations where people can offer their time or skills.

I think animal feed is still very much wanted though. Many animals without food, water, shelter or medical help. Some amazing vet practices opening up to help the injured animals.

Guest Guest14361

Went to the golden grove evac centre last night, very sombre, horse floats , cars full of people's belongings, people staring into space, inside we offered out time overnight, our bedrooms our house to help out, take in animals etc etc.

Here is the bushfire recovery info on the SA gov website

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/emergencies-and-safety/south-australian-bushfire-recovery

Copy and paste of a chunk of it below

Emergency relief centres

Emergency relief centres are currently open at Golden Grove and Willaston to provide food, financial assistance and emergency accommodation.

Golden Grove Recreation Centre

The Golden Way

Golden Grove

Willaston Football Club

Kelly Road

Willaston

Recovery hotline

The SA Bushfire Recovery hotline is open on 1800 302 787. The hotline is for people who have lost their home, suffered trauma or other loss - or for others wanting to provide financial donations to support affected communities.

If you are affected by the fires, call this number for information about emergency grants. Grants of up to $700 that are available for essential items such as food and clothing. Grants provide for up to $280 per adult, and up to $140 per child, to a maximum of of $700 per family.

For information and warnings about ongoing fires, visit the CFS website.

Road closures

See the SA Police website for fire-related road closures.

Volunteering

To help people affected by the fires, visit the Volunteering SA website and follow the links.

Donations

Donations to the State Emergency Relief Fund can be made in a number of ways. For full information see Bushfire donations.

The emergency relief centres have been inundated with generous gifts of food and clothing. Please do not donate goods as the relief centres are not able to manage any further donations.

Donations for firefighting support can be made to the CFS.

Please be careful of websites seeking donations and door knockers representing the CFS or any other charity. The CFS have made clear that they do NOT collect money in this way.

Guest Guest75

There is a collection point at 2 Alcatraz Street ,Aberfoyle Park for donations of food/clothing/ anything useful. I dropped some stuff off earlier and it was very busy. Good to see community spirit.

Donations

Donations to the State Emergency Relief Fund can be made in a number of ways. For full information see Bushfire donations.

The emergency relief centres have been inundated with generous gifts of food and clothing. Please do not donate goods as the relief centres are not able to manage any further donations.

I think this is the BEST link, Snifter.

Someone I know shared a very interesting document,

http://dcsi.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/1894/national-guidelines-for-managing-donated-goods.pdf

The main point (relevant to me anyway) was that money is the preferred donation. The document not only pointed out that the gift of money allowed people the power to choose what they needed, and supported the rebuilding of local businesses, but also cost less to distribute.

So, money all the way from now!

Thanks for all the info, Snifter, you really do seem to be a Google whizz. Oh, and I loved the suggestions for giving birds water. I am right on it, thank you.

:notworthy:LC

Guest Guest75
We thought that was where you were going...we spotted you! We were car-stalking you.

:wubclub: LC

Dear me,inconspicuous as I am I still get spotted!!

Stealth mode level 9 next time .....

Thanks, Snifter; very useful info. I'll nip to the Commonwealth in the morning. It's all so heartbreaking for all those poor people and animals in the affected areas. There are so many good people willing to help out in so many ways; not least on PIA, which doesn't surprise me one little bit. x

RSPCA SA have included this in their update (6/01):

The City of Tea Tree Gully have kindly agreed to provide their Council Depot at 118 Tolley Rd St Agnes (opposite Stratco) as a collection point for local residents in need to collect food, and a drop-off point for any new food donations.

Anyone wanting to collect donated food from the depot can do so between 7am and 4pm Monday to Friday. Anyone wishing to donate pet food, equine or stock feed is also welcome to deliver it to the Council Depot between 7am and 4pm.

LC

Guest Claire-n-tel

We've just been to Coles and when you pay at the till you can donate to Red Cross bush fire fund and coles apparently are matching every donation dollar for dollar

Hi all, the IFAW are appealing for people who are good with a needle to make 100% cotton mittens for injured Koalas. You can send them to IFAW 6 Belmore St., Surry Hills 2010 and they will send them to rescue centers in Adelaide and Victoria where they are needed urgently. You can find their simple pattern on the Daily Mail Website under "Wildlife Hospital Launches Mitten Appeal"

Thanks for that R&H.

I managed to find the pattern in PDF form to actual size. It has measurements on it also :)http://www.ifaw.org/sites/default/files/default/KOALA-MITTENS-PATTERN-A4.pdf

Also here is the info about the koalas - http://www.amwrro.org.au/news/sampson-flat-bushfire

And a video of Jeremy who is recovering well. The rest of the page is about his being brought in and treatment - http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/koala-mittens?utm_term=.wnjErEm0gK&sub=3570339_4635955

Wow that was quick and great to know they have enough now, I've been working on them all day and just posted them. But can I ask how you know as I can't find that info on the IFAW website and my understanding is they will distribute to wherever is needed in any state and need stock as it's only the start of the fire season. I think I may be looking in the wrong places!

Wow that was quick and great to know they have enough now, I've been working on them all day and just posted them. But can I ask how you know as I can't find that info on the IFAW website and my understanding is they will distribute to wherever is needed in any state and need stock as it's only the start of the fire season. I think I may be looking in the wrong places!

I think you may be right, they have enough for the current animals and time being but a stockpile isn't going to hurt in the longer term. They say they can get through hundreds in a week so having a mass of them isn't a bad thing.

Good on you for making them :)