Scottish teacher moving in Easter

Guest Kirsteenx26

Guest Kirsteenx26

Hi,

I'm currently a teacher in Scotland and wanted to clarify what the general work day/week is like for teachers in Australia. Just now the school day runs (with children in attendance) from 9-3. 5 hours 15 mins of this is teaching time. Can anyone tell me what an ordinary day will be like in Australia?

In Scotland, a teacher also gets 2.5 hours a week out of class for planning, preparation and correction. Do teachers in Australia get something similar?

Thanks in advance.

Kirsteen

Hi,

I'm currently a teacher in Scotland and wanted to clarify what the general work day/week is like for teachers in Australia. Just now the school day runs (with children in attendance) from 9-3. 5 hours 15 mins of this is teaching time. Can anyone tell me what an ordinary day will be like in Australia?

In Scotland, a teacher also gets 2.5 hours a week out of class for planning, preparation and correction. Do teachers in Australia get something similar?

Thanks in advance.

Kirsteen

Hi Kirsteen

are you primary or secondary trained ?

Well, at the school my kid goes to the school day runs from 8:50-3:10 but the classroom doors open at 8:40 and the teachers are there from then as kids unpack and get organised. Teachers have time for lesson planning an afternoon a week. His old school it was a morning.

I have family who teach at primary level. They tend to be at their schools by 7:30-7:45am and don't leave till about 4pm, sometimes, quite often actually at certain times of year etc, later. I don't know this is normal for all teachers but it's what they do.

ETA - I guess it can very from school to school and also between state and private. Also if you are contract, supply teaching or permanent there could be different expectations of you. Primary school teaching here seems to have far more people looking than there are jobs it seems to me. At least in and around Adelaide. Jobs in rural areas for a year or two could be easier to come by. I hear this from teachers themselves.

Edited by snifter

Guest Kirsteenx26
You'll probably spend most of your day dealing with just a few kids in your class due to their incredibly bad behaviour and dropkick drug-addled parents who don't give a toss.

Always check a parents front teeth. If they don't have any it's a good indication of methodone use.

Home sickness won't be an issue then?

Hi I've been here two years and I have worked in decd primary schools (government) since arriving and I'm about to start a new post (permanent) at a private school.

Roughly the same kind of working day as you indicate but I found PPA (prep, planning and assessment) time to be the big difference. For example it depends how a school deploys it but often it is spread out across the week. There are benefits to this. The school I worked at was 8.50 to 3.15. Although lunch times are shorter often with only half an hour; I think this common across schools. I found this tricky as I would often prep resources in my lunch when I was in the UK.

Permanency is a big thing here and often you begin with contract work. I began by joining my daughters' school's governing council to get to know how the schools system here works; then I did supply work and proved myself. In the 18 months I have taught there and I have worked full time and worked for three months in the role as deputy.

Permanent jobs in decd schools are highly sought after, and often there are many candidates applying - I've also gained some panel experience perusing applications!

If you have any more questions don't hesitate ;)

Guest Kirsteenx26

That lunch time is quite a bit shorter as I'm the same as you and like to use it as a bit of prep time to get the morning stuff out of the way and begin to get the afternoon underway. I'm sure it won't be a major issue though.

I have heard that a lot of people tend to begin with supply work then once their name is out there they find more permanent work, I'm hopefully prepared for that. Can you tell me what you would advise me to have ready for coming out? Any boards that I should be looking to apply to to ensure I can start work ASAP.

I will definitely be in touch when it comes to applications if you don't mind, as I'm sure there are buzzwords just like in the UK or certain authorities.

Many thanks,

Kirsteen

Buzz words is interesting as you will realise once you start TRT (the Aussie word for supply work) - temporary relief teacher; what areas are key focuses for schools here. You could begin researching Play is the Way and Natural Maths. I know my school is a Jolly Phonics school.

Also are you aware that we have 4 terms throughout the year each approx. 10 weeks long? decd schools start term 1 on 27th January 2015.

Where are you thinking of residing in Adelaide? Some schools work collectively as a scheme so you sign up with the scheme/area to TRT and they ring you in the morning if they need a TRT. So the school rings the scheme and they source the TRT, once your name is out then they would possibly request you etc. It depends how the schools where you are living etc work. I hope that makes sense.

I'll gladly help if I can as only now do I feel things make sense; when I first arrived it was sooooo different (obviously!)

Guest Kirsteenx26

Excellent. I've used Jolly Phonics before so I'm familiar with that and I think Bounceback is a popular health resource too? Play is always a big thing in schooling especially early years, but it'll be valuae to look up these exact initiatives so thanks! Yes I am aware of the terms roughly and think it may be a learning curve for me - however it seems that education is less interrupted in Australia through the way terms are set so this can only be a good thing for pupils.

We haven't got a specific area we need to stick to - although that may change with my fiance's job. That's similar to how we work in Scotland, as schools are all accountable to a local council. Do you know which scheme/area phone a lot, or are loyal to teachers? That may seem like a strange question but we have some here that have a good reputation for being loyal to supply teachers and trying to help them out.

It's just a whole new way of working/living but it's exciting!

Do you have any plans that I could have a look at to see your level of planning. I know it would be specific to your school but it would still be a good indicator and an interesting read.

Thanks,

Kirsteen