Kerriandcarl

Things moving quick.. Advice needed please

Hi all

we have had an offer on our uk home and all being well it will take 8 weeks to go through. We have been assigned case officer so we go for medicals tomorrow and sent off for police checks. So once visa is granted we can book flights and make the move!! I have noticed a lot of temporary short term rentals seem to be booked up until the end of the year- we are looking at port noarlunga area but until we have visa grant I don't want to book anything upfront. If it is May or June time will we be able to get short time rental or will everywhere be booked up? Any suggestions or anyone in the same boat.

also we have a shipping company coming to our home next week to provide us with a quote. We are mainly wanting to ship my partners work tools over as he is a carpenter but are unsure about other items.. Does it work out cheaper to bring over things like tv's, hoovers, tv units etc and does things like this work over there or is it best just to buy once we are out there,

sorry for the long post but really need help and advise so we make the right decisions.

Does anyone have any to do lists that we need to do at this stage that will help with the move.

thanks kerri and Carl xx

Hey, exciting news about the house.

We spent a couple of thousand on shipping but brought all bedroom furniture, all our daughters bedroom furniture, dining table, chairs TVs, all the girls toys,books, kitchen stuff, clothes etc etc - we certainly wouldn't have been able to replace it all for the same cost.

We didn't ship our fridge/freezer, washing machine, toaster, Hoover etc which worked out well as our shipping took longer than had been planned so we moved in to our rental for about 3 weeks without our stuff but were able to buy the bits we needed and then bought garden furniture to use indoors, cheap k-mart kitchen stuff, camp beds to sleep on etc etc.

No idea about rentals but at least that is coming in to winter time here so hopefully something will turn up but may not necessarily be exactly where you want it to be xxxx

Often short term furnished rentals can be booked up well ahead, sometimes they have a bit of a gap to fill, other times not.

Have you tried all the rental people listed in our AA section? There are some threads pinned to the top with people advertising. FWIW, for a short term rental I'd not be too stuck on where it is as its the longer term one that matters more in terms of where you decide to settle, where your work and therefore your commute will be taking you, if you have kids and want a particular school or choice of schools and so on. I think one of the rentals listed in the AA section is a one bed place which if there are only two of you may suit better than a bigger house for a few weeks. Its inland. There are also some others listed in coastal suburbs that are not in the area you mentioned but still worth a check and see as they may suit for the few weeks after arriving.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/accommodation-available/

There are other options you could look at if all the usual suspects for short term accommodation are booked. Air BnB, Stayz, housesitting (good housesitting website to be found, a few on here have done this when they moved over), small holiday apartment in winter months may give you a decent rate, check Glenelg area and see perhaps?

Once here you have a bit of time to get your bearings, get a feel for areas and suburbs and can then focus on your longer term plans. You may find work north of the CBD and not want a commute through/round the city each day or prefer to be closer to the city for stuff. Or want to go even further out.

With regard to shipping, I'd get 2-3 quotes in, see what they come back with and then haggle with the one you like best to bring the price down a little if its the more expensive one. Be aware things like vaccum cleaners will need to be cleaned well.

Personally, we intended to ship the entire contents when we moved back over but in the end as we decided to stay with family for a while after we arrived we didn't want the hassle of storage costs for the things we would have shipped. So we whittled it down a lot, only shipped our KS bed, a wardrobe we flat packed, 2 sets of drawers, one desk and a chair (that we could take apart to ship) and all our personal effects. Plus kids bike, toys, etc. The rest we sold or took to the tip before we left. We never planned to bring our washing machine, fridge freezer or other white goods as they were older and needing replacing within a year or two anyways. Same with the vaccum cleaner and some other stuff. Our microwave died 3 weeks before we shipped so we bought a £20 one to see us through those last weeks and then gave it away. We then used a large Seven Seas Movecube which was way cheaper than a shipping company, arrived inside of the 12 week timeframe and was plenty for us. Also we were able to ship in advance a bit and then carried on using all the stuff we were not shipping till much closer to the time we actually moved. Beds, chairs, table, white goods and all that. Plus I kept some old kitchen stuff that wasn't being shipped and borrowed a few bits from friends.

I did ship all my kitchen contents bar electric whisk, toaster hand blender and blender. I sold those or threw them away as old. Bought new here. But the rest I made sure I either bought new and good quality in the run up to before we moved or had it already and it was decent to take. I find good quality kitchen goods expensive here and am very glad I have decent pans and so on and don't have to pay eye watering prices. Same with good quality bedding, duck down duvets and towels. I made sure I stocked up on fitted sheets for our bed as Aus beds are slightly different sizes and wanted to make sure the stuff I had fitted properly. Plus it was cheaper and IMO far better choice from UK stores than here.

Thank you both , great advice and will have a look at the link you sent me regarding accommodation.

X

Often short term furnished rentals can be booked up well ahead, sometimes they have a bit of a gap to fill, other times not.

Have you tried all the rental people listed in our AA section? There are some threads pinned to the top with people advertising. FWIW, for a short term rental I'd not be too stuck on where it is as its the longer term one that matters more in terms of where you decide to settle, where your work and therefore your commute will be taking you, if you have kids and want a particular school or choice of schools and so on. I think one of the rentals listed in the AA section is a one bed place which if there are only two of you may suit better than a bigger house for a few weeks. Its inland. There are also some others listed in coastal suburbs that are not in the area you mentioned but still worth a check and see as they may suit for the few weeks after arriving.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/accommodation-available/

There are other options you could look at if all the usual suspects for short term accommodation are booked. Air BnB, Stayz, housesitting (good housesitting website to be found, a few on here have done this when they moved over), small holiday apartment in winter months may give you a decent rate, check Glenelg area and see perhaps?

Once here you have a bit of time to get your bearings, get a feel for areas and suburbs and can then focus on your longer term plans. You may find work north of the CBD and not want a commute through/round the city each day or prefer to be closer to the city for stuff. Or want to go even further out.

With regard to shipping, I'd get 2-3 quotes in, see what they come back with and then haggle with the one you like best to bring the price down a little if its the more expensive one. Be aware things like vaccum cleaners will need to be cleaned well.

Personally, we intended to ship the entire contents when we moved back over but in the end as we decided to stay with family for a while after we arrived we didn't want the hassle of storage costs for the things we would have shipped. So we whittled it down a lot, only shipped our KS bed, a wardrobe we flat packed, 2 sets of drawers, one desk and a chair (that we could take apart to ship) and all our personal effects. Plus kids bike, toys, etc. The rest we sold or took to the tip before we left. We never planned to bring our washing machine, fridge freezer or other white goods as they were older and needing replacing within a year or two anyways. Same with the vaccum cleaner and some other stuff. Our microwave died 3 weeks before we shipped so we bought a £20 one to see us through those last weeks and then gave it away. We then used a large Seven Seas Movecube which was way cheaper than a shipping company, arrived inside of the 12 week timeframe and was plenty for us. Also we were able to ship in advance a bit and then carried on using all the stuff we were not shipping till much closer to the time we actually moved. Beds, chairs, table, white goods and all that. Plus I kept some old kitchen stuff that wasn't being shipped and borrowed a few bits from friends.

I did ship all my kitchen contents bar electric whisk, toaster hand blender and blender. I sold those or threw them away as old. Bought new here. But the rest I made sure I either bought new and good quality in the run up to before we moved or had it already and it was decent to take. I find good quality kitchen goods expensive here and am very glad I have decent pans and so on and don't have to pay eye watering prices. Same with good quality bedding, duck down duvets and towels. I made sure I stocked up on fitted sheets for our bed as Aus beds are slightly different sizes and wanted to make sure the stuff I had fitted properly. Plus it was cheaper and IMO far better choice from UK stores than here.

Hi all

we have had an offer on our uk home and all being well it will take 8 weeks to go through. We have been assigned case officer so we go for medicals tomorrow and sent off for police checks. So once visa is granted we can book flights and make the move!! I have noticed a lot of temporary short term rentals seem to be booked up until the end of the year- we are looking at port noarlunga area but until we have visa grant I don't want to book anything upfront. If it is May or June time will we be able to get short time rental or will everywhere be booked up? Any suggestions or anyone in the same boat.

also we have a shipping company coming to our home next week to provide us with a quote. We are mainly wanting to ship my partners work tools over as he is a carpenter but are unsure about other items.. Does it work out cheaper to bring over things like tv's, hoovers, tv units etc and does things like this work over there or is it best just to buy once we are out there,

sorry for the long post but really need help and advise so we make the right decisions.

Does anyone have any to do lists that we need to do at this stage that will help with the move.

thanks kerri and Carl xx

Hi Kerri and Carl,

You should be ok for finding a short term rental in the June period.

It's our winter period and there should be a large amount of homes to choose from.

I am presently booked until June but have some availability in Port Noarlunga:

My calendar details are below.

http://www.dateblocker.com/Index.aspx?Pageid=1672&l=1&UserId=10291

A big thing to consider during this period is what type of heating the property has. Australian homes are generally poorly insulated and gas heating is a plus. Lots of people may advertise that the home has heating but this may be a single unit in one room which will be hopeless!

All the best for the move.

Hi Tamarac, thank you. Will have a look at the dates and let you know xx

Hi Kerri and Carl,

You should be ok for finding a short term rental in the June period.

It's our winter period and there should be a large amount of homes to choose from.

I am presently booked until June but have some availability in Port Noarlunga:

My calendar details are below.

http://www.dateblocker.com/Index.aspx?Pageid=1672&l=1&UserId=10291

A big thing to consider during this period is what type of heating the property has. Australian homes are generally poorly insulated and gas heating is a plus. Lots of people may advertise that the home has heating but this may be a single unit in one room which will be hopeless!

All the best for the move.

Guest Guest75

I'll second Tamara, July is the quieter ,winter season.

We always find mid winter is harder to fill at our rentals.

Tamara and I often work together if we say each have two weeks to spare , a guest has the entire month but two weeks with one of us and two weeks with the other.:biggrin: