Why do people come back to the uk?

Guest hel&sam

Guest hel&sam

having read the negative post on here and the ones on pomsinoz, i think i'm feeling a bit wobbly today. Still going, dont get me wrong, but i would love to find out a few specifics from people who have returned to the uk from adelaide. does anyone know where to find stats on how many come back, better still why they came back (praps i'm just nosey)

Guest Rob and Clare

We have some friends from Preston and they went back because Adelaide was just too "Brown and dry", I've also got a mate who even went to UNI to get a degree to go to sydney, then left after 3 months as he couldn't get a job.

I'm not sure there is a magic reason as to why some people really settle, where as others cannot. It's easy to say research and reccies help, but there are so many people here who take the plunge with little or no information and it still works out for them.

My guess is don't have really high expectations, I think some parts of life here is infinitely better than the UK, and some bits much worse. It may just depend what's important to each of us.

Also i think it's important to go out and do any job to start with, your perfect job will come, but Adelaide is quite small, and if your job is quite unique be prepared to wait for an opportunity.

My husband was told by a fellow worker that they knew of somebody who went back because the woman in the family didn't like the bird song in the morning!

Now personally there were far more important reasons to come to australia in the first place, I think bird song would have been way down the line for reasons to go back to the UK.

But each to their own, some go back because of family worries in the UK, ill health etc, being lonely, financial. But as said don't come with false expectations, you still need to work, just because its sunny doesn't mean its a big long holiday, some people spend their money as if they are on holiday, but you have to be spending what you are earning and not eating into savings. Personally being lonely is an excuse here as there are plenty of organisations, clubs and fellow PIA members that will help alleviate this part, you have to go looking for friendships and get in amongst the crowd.

It's only natural that some people get the wobbles, your only human after all, but try it first then decide it's not for you and not before.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
having read the negative post on here and the ones on pomsinoz, i think i'm feeling a bit wobbly today. Still going, dont get me wrong, but i would love to find out a few specifics from people who have returned to the uk from adelaide. does anyone know where to find stats on how many come back, better still why they came back (praps i'm just nosey)
I think this happens because some people come with unrealistic ideas.......ie they want my skills, everything is cheaper, I can get a big house and a pool with no mortgage, it is always hot, there is no crime I could go on............

srah

Guest donny

If you are so attached to your friends and family or your jobs that you are going to be depressed without them do you’re self a favour save your money and buy a holiday home in Spain. The heartache and stress of not wanting to be here and the money you spend is not worth being able to say, “well I gave it a go”.

For what it is worth I think South Australia is a great place and my son and I love our life here. I don’t miss one thing about England.

Guest Roo1

Friends of ours have just gone back after 4 years in Adelaide. Their reason.....? The husband missed his mates and a pint down the pub. They had 3 teenage children, who at first liked the idea going back to the U.K but as the day dawned near, were kicking and screaming not to go. By the time the flight came round they'd all changed their minds and wanted to stay but couldn't do anything about it (their words) because they'd gone too far.

It will be interesting to see how long they last in good old Blighty. But good luck to them anyway.

Judi x

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I often wonder if the same occurs the other way round.,,,,,,,,,,,high expectations of how it is in the UK only to find it is not how they remembered it:skeptical:. I know plenty of people who go for a visit and they say it reminded them of why they wanted to leave in the first place!

sarah

Guest Guzzler&Sas
I think this happens because some people come with unrealistic ideas.......ie they want my skills, everything is cheaper, I can get a big house and a pool with no mortgage, it is always hot, there is no crime I could go on............

srah

Agree with SSP (getting a bit of a habit lately), you have to look at why you are leaving the UK, what are you expecting from Adelaide and more importantly what is Adelaide really like, the anwser to the latter is research research and more research, Adelaide and migrating is not for everyone if this was the case the place would be full. Sadly to many Brits arrive expecting Adelaide to be like "home" except warmer, agreed there is a lot of history between the two countries but just because we speak the same language (ish) it does not make the two places the same, people moan about the Aussie way of things but if you were in a non English speaking country (foreign) you would except things a lot easier due to the fact that is how that country works.

There is nothing wrong with having a wobble perfectly natural but you must understand that this forum and others are visited by a minority of expats, although you can easily fall into the trap that you think you are talking to all the Brits in Adelaide.

Only you can and should know if your decision is for the right reasons, all the very best for your future,

Guzzler

Guest paul_smart

Well here are some more facts to dwell on if your wobbly.

50% of the people who emmigrate to Australia (whole not state- some have better retaining aspects than others) return.

33% then re-emmigrate BACK to Au.

meaning that there is a 83% emmigration success from us POMS, there are good reasons posted why everyone goes back, I think the people who go in "blind" are probably the ones who end up returning, thinking that Au and ADL are some sort of Eutopia, then they get a shock because in my honest opinion life is hard there, I've had a taste of it and loved it, but it doesn't have the same comfort factor as the UK, by that I mean, the easier internet shopping and electrical advancements, it's still very much a developing counrty and people don't realise this, they have only just linked coast to coast, by rail, it means there are a lot of opportunities, but it is 10 years behind us in some ways, it's the life you go for not the advancement, when people are devoid of their usual creature comforts, life seems tougher.

Guest Nick11
Friends of ours have just gone back after 4 years in Adelaide. Their reason.....? The husband missed his mates and a pint down the pub. They had 3 teenage children, who at first liked the idea going back to the U.K but as the day dawned near, were kicking and screaming not to go. By the time the flight came round they'd all changed their minds and wanted to stay but couldn't do anything about it (their words) because they'd gone too far.

It will be interesting to see how long they last in good old Blighty. But good luck to them anyway.

Judi x

OMG Judi - they only went back at the end of April!

Yes it would be nice to have a magic carpet that would fly us back in the blink of an eye just to say hi.

Just as people who come to oz with their rose tinted glasses on (yes we've all done it) - I now view the uk with rose tinted glasses.

Doesn't mean I'm going back - just remember the nicer side of life.

Guest Libby1971

Guzzler :notworthy::notworthy:

Truly very wise words!

I can't say why people go back. I know that even in the midst of my wobble, I thought this is horrible but had no desire to go back. I spent 11 trying to get here, trust me I am staying!!!!!! But my heart goes out to those who feel that Australia is not for them. It must be very hard to say goodbye and then go through the upheaval again - another move across the world. I am not moving again.

Libby

Guest BAZnDAF

Helen,

You can't change your mind, Daphne will go mad! :)

I'm sure everyone will miss something, family, friends etc... crime is every where in the world, its what you make it. you'll have friends when you get there so don't worry.

Barry

Guest Django
50% of the people who emmigrate to Australia (whole not state- some have better retaining aspects than others) return.

33% then re-emmigrate BACK to Au.

meaning that there is a 83% emmigration success from us POMS

When I went to school it would be 66.5% success rate. Not that I'm nit picking. :biglaugh:

Does prove whatever the figures its not for everyone. We are very confident it will be for us, but until we are there for a while nothing is certain.

Guest hel&sam

god no! i'm not changing my mind, but it all takes so long to get there, theres too much time to dwell and ponder, I can be happy with most things, its just better to know as much as possible, dont like surprises. i'm going, (if they'll have me) . you only regret the things you dont do. :confused:

Guest Leanne & Mark
When I went to school it would be 66.5% success rate. Not that I'm nit picking. :biglaugh:

Does prove whatever the figures its not for everyone. We are very confident it will be for us, but until we are there for a while nothing is certain.

I did notice thid too Pete, but unlike you i'm not one to nit pick!!!!!!!!!! lol

Guest kevscotoz

This is our 1st time on here, so hello to everyone. Weve just come back to uk from oz, only lasted 2 months. Started off in adelaide, but really struggled to find accomadation, so after 2 weeks looking (whilst paying over the odds for a short stay let) we went to ballarat in victoria, near OH rellies. Found rental easily & OH got job straight away as a plumber, but found his uk qualifications didnt count for much in victoria & he would have to do some retraining to get his licence (up to 1 year & £1000), so the pay was rubbish. From our experience & talking to others, the main reasons for coming back are homesickness and a realisation that oz isnt maybe what its cracked up to be. I think maybe people go out there with such great expectations, get a good job, nice house with pool, cost of livings cheaper etc etc, but this isnt always the case. Often uk qualifications dont mean that much over there, & the wages arent always as good,and the cost of housing & stuff in general has gone up quite a bit. But I would say go for it & give it a try otherwise you'll always be wondering what if. Although were now back in uk were thinking of going back again & giving oz another go, hopefully this time we know more what to expect & wont have such high expectations. :nah:

PS We really liked adelaide, not the most exciting place in oz but pleasant enough & lots to do & see within easy reach of adelaide - mclaren vale, barossa valley, adelaide hills all lovely, kangaroo island easy to get to & outback not too far away. :D

PPS We liked victor harbor has anyone lived\worked there that could offer any advice :confused:

Guest Guzzler&Sas
This is our 1st time on here, so hello to everyone. Weve just come back to uk from oz, only lasted 2 months. Started off in adelaide, but really struggled to find accomadation, so after 2 weeks looking (whilst paying over the odds for a short stay let) we went to ballarat in victoria, near OH rellies. Found rental easily & OH got job straight away as a plumber, but found his uk qualifications didnt count for much in victoria & he would have to do some retraining to get his licence (up to 1 year & £1000), so the pay was rubbish. From our experience & talking to others, the main reasons for coming back are homesickness and a realisation that oz isnt maybe what its cracked up to be. I think maybe people go out there with such great expectations, get a good job, nice house with pool, cost of livings cheaper etc etc, but this isnt always the case. Often uk qualifications dont mean that much over there, & the wages arent always as good,and the cost of housing & stuff in general has gone up quite a bit. But I would say go for it & give it a try otherwise you'll always be wondering what if. Although were now back in uk were thinking of going back again & giving oz another go, hopefully this time we know more what to expect & wont have such high expectations. :nah:

PS We really liked adelaide, not the most exciting place in oz but pleasant enough & lots to do & see within easy reach of adelaide - mclaren vale, barossa valley, adelaide hills all lovely, kangaroo island easy to get to & outback not too far away. :D

PPS We liked victor harbor has anyone lived\worked there that could offer any advice :confused:

Hi,

Sorry things didn't work out for you, but your post is a perfect example of reasons why to research before you arrive reference jobs,license,living costs.

Granted Adelaide and Oz is not for everyone and this can only be realised after living here but some of the pitfalls can be avoided with research.

Good luck should you become a Ping Pong Pom,

Guzzler

Guest jill wright

Although were now back in uk were thinking of going back again & giving oz another go, hopefully this time we know more what to expect & wont have such high expectations. :nah:

This is what I fear most getting there and because of homesickness starting to think 'hey perhaps the UK wasn't so bad 'therefore start thinking of it as better than it actually was and coming back only to then think perhaps Australia wasn't as bad as we thought it was and so on and so forth. What a nightmare I'd rather make my mind up one way or the other or not bother

Jill

Guest kevscotoz

Tried to do research into plumbing licences but could not get a straight answer from anybody. Most replies told me I would prob have to re-train but never said anything about how long or at what cost. Also looked up wages again couldnt get a straight answer, even when we were in oz on a lot of subjects its hard to get a straight answer from an ozzy usually no worries!!!!!!

Guest hel&sam

jill

if you start to see the uk through rosey glasses just come on this site, there will be loads of people who will be only too happy to remind you what its actually like.

Helen. :o

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Tried to do research into plumbing licences but could not get a straight answer from anybody. Most replies told me I would prob have to re-train but never said anything about how long or at what cost. Also looked up wages again couldnt get a straight answer, even when we were in oz on a lot of subjects its hard to get a straight answer from an ozzy usually no worries!!!!!!

This is the biggest thing and it is totally true. You cant find the full facts from research about jobs, licenses and pay. The pay you can only find out about "award rates" that at least tells you teh least you will get.

Where qualifications go, you can be forgiven for thinking you will get a job as soon as you get here............afterall you are on the demand list ! But as lots find out its not that easy all the time......but there is always someone who will fall in the s*** and come up smelling of roses!!!

sarah

Guest Django
This is what I fear most getting there and because of homesickness starting to think 'hey perhaps the UK wasn't so bad

Jill, don't worry on that score. If you get the wobbles I'll put you right. I'll remind you of the metal detectors in schools, the hoodie culture, the awful weather, the drive by shootings, etc, etc, etc. ;)

Or as Helen says pop on here and ask why people want to come over. You will soon snap out if it. :biglaugh:

Pete

Research is obviously one of the keys along with what situation you have come from and what your expectations are.

I would say you can research all you want sometimes and you still won't know how it will work out until you get to Adelaide and start trying to put your plans into action. It is easy to forget how you are actually moving to another culture and you have to learn to adapt and work with that, not fight against it.

If people come and try it, giving it a reasonable go, then decide to return to the UK, in my opinion, it doesn't make them a bad person for taking someone elses chance of a visa. It makes them a person who has had the balls to try another lifestyle and make a decision on what they want for their future, they have guts and a great life experience.

Nearly everyone has the wobbles several times during the process, it is only natural, it is a huge move, if you feel so compelled to come here, you have to do it, give it a go and see if it is for you. Hopefully it is not irreversible if you really dislike it.

Guest Devon

I would say you can research all you want sometimes and you still won't know how it will work out until you get to Adelaide and start trying to put your plans into action. It is easy to forget how you are actually moving to another culture and you have to learn to adapt and work with that, not fight against it.

If people come and try it, giving it a reasonable go, then decide to return to the UK, in my opinion, it doesn't make them a bad person for taking someone elses chance of a visa. It makes them a person who has had the balls to try another lifestyle and make a decision on what they want for their future, they have guts and a great life experience.

Totally agree with Foxychick here!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sprayer

We cant afford a reccie so we are selling everything and just coming over. We are nervous but also excited. As the saying goes "you only live once"

We have been trying to research as much as possible but with regard to OH job, we cant find anything to advise us about wages. He is a spray polisher/french polisher so if anyone knows any info we would appreciate.

With regard to areas, there are alot of threads started asking about good areas. I understand its hard to advise as everyone is different so again I think you are better coming over and living it yourself.

I understand there is crime in Australia but I do hope it is not like the UK. I am hoping my children will have a safer, cleaner, enviroment to grow up in.

I hope the schools are better than UK. At the moment my son attends secondary school in UK where alot of the children do not speak English as a first language. I do hope this is not the case in Australia.

We have totally "had it" with UK so I feel confident we will settle. anything has to be better than here.