etch123

Suburbs where Corrosion/Rust form on vehicles/ electrical goods

Hi all, We are renting our first home in Australia when we migrate in April, and are sold on the port Noarlunga Area, a few people we know, live close to the CBD and was asking us to watch out for corrosion (especially since we are buying a new car) so my question is, does anyone living in the south have any experience with this issue? So excited, we have 1.5 months to go for the move and we have already booked a holiday rental in Christies beach.

I did Google it and found this link to rust prone areas, which seemed to show that Noarlunga is affected as with any coastal area. But is it a Real issue?

https://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/21611/Corrosion_environment_Fleurieu_Peninsula_and_The_Coorong.pdf

Thanks in advance

Edited by etch123

You only need worry if you live near the sea. My sister in law has a beach shack and anything metal there is just about rusted away. But in general there's a lot less rust on the cars here.

My Brother in Law lives at Henley Beach, although a few blocks back from the beach, and he's never complained about corrosion. I agree with Blossom that it might be an issue if you were right by the sea front but otherwise I wouldn't worry.

Thanks guys, never lived close to the beach so was a little worried....

Salt requires moisture to corrode metal and as there is far less here than in the UK it's not a big problem.

Sea salt can be blown in land up to 5km depending on the local terrain. However, most of the time about a km from the sea is the area effected. We used to live at Brighton about 300m east of the train station (1 km inland) and quite often had the car covered in sea salt.

Corrosion is out of control and it's not just the coast....we left our car outside in the outback for a night.....roos bashed it up and then the rust set in.....

P1090277.jpg

(joking - though that was a real car near one of the salt lakes on the way up to Coober Pedy)

Guest wen66

A good friend of mine, bought a 72 VW Bay Kombi and shipped it to the UK.....funnily enough it had no rust!:D

Corrosion is out of control and it's not just the coast....we left our car outside in the outback for a night.....roos bashed it up and then the rust set in.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8699[/ATTACH]

(joking - though that was a real car near one of the salt lakes on the way up to Coober Pedy)

This looks like my car now. But as there's no MOT then all is good ;)