Guest bray family

Which suburb

Guest bray family

Hi

we are planning to move to Adelaide next year.We have 2 children aged 16 and 13. I was after some advise as to what suburbs to look at. We have about $350.000 -4000.00 to spend on a house. I would like a good school near by for my daughter. She is also into athletics so a good athletics club and dance school ballet and tap near by would be good. We would like to be within 15 minute drive from a good beach.

Thanks

Sarah

Guest Libby1971

Hi

Keep an eye on house prices through www.realestate.com.au as the suburbs available to you now and by then may be different. House prices are on the up here, and the house we have bought has risen by 40k in the last year and we've done nothing at all.

You do not say how many bedrooms you plan to have but should be able to get a 3 bed for that. An existing property might be cheaper as opposed to a new build. Other costs are added on top like rates, and I think tax. Plus house prices are usually offered in terms of ranges - $310-$330 for example. Some people if it is really popular will go right over. Sometimes houses are offered at Offers over $350k and the actual selling price may be nearer $380k. This is NOT in all situations, I am just trying to let you know what happens here sometimes.

Certainly in nearly all the southern suburbs you can reach a beach within 15 mins. The geography of the north escapes me. Rob and Clare may know as well as Salisbury Massive or Ianb who arrives soon.

Libby

I could suggest lots of suburbs that are 15 mins from the beach as Adelaide is a bit elongated and the suburbs spread south and north enabling lots of areas to be not far from the beach. I would suggest you go to www.realestate.com.au and type in your price range and see what comes up. If you see some houses you like, then ask again when you know where these types of houses are. You could live fairly close in or about 40-60 mins out of the centre, it just depends what you are after. There are lots of athletics clubs for kids called little athletics and quite a lot of dance schools, but it depends which method of ballet your daughter is learning. There are many RAD schools, some cecchetti schools, 1 vaganova, a couple borovansky and a couple of non exam type syllabus schools. Most dance schools offer other dance styles apart from ballet.

Happy searching

Expect to hear from you soon

Rachel

Guest bray family

Thanks for the info.We are looking at flagstaff hill area is this a nice area? What are the school like in this area?

thanks

sarah

Guest Libby1971

I am not sure on High Schools in the Flagstaff Hill area or if you are considering private or public school.

I would monitor the house price situation in the area you are talking about. It is very popular, and for the most part expensive. There are lots of new builds in that area which are split storey due to the hills. We had a look but they were all considerably over the budget you specify.

Libby

Guest bray family

We can increase our budget. The budget i quoted would give us no morgage.Proberbly be public school depends on the cost of private school.

thanks

sarah

I could suggest lots of suburbs that are 15 mins from the beach as Adelaide is a bit elongated and the suburbs spread south and north enabling lots of areas to be not far from the beach. I would suggest you go to www.realestate.com.au and type in your price range and see what comes up. If you see some houses you like, then ask again when you know where these types of houses are. You could live fairly close in or about 40-60 mins out of the centre, it just depends what you are after. There are lots of athletics clubs for kids called little athletics and quite a lot of dance schools, but it depends which method of ballet your daughter is learning. There are many RAD schools, some cecchetti schools, 1 vaganova, a couple borovansky and a couple of non exam type syllabus schools. Most dance schools offer other dance styles apart from ballet.

Happy searching

Expect to hear from you soon

Rachel

Crikey Rachel, is there anything you don't know? I'm in awe of you:notworthy: - what the hell are cecchetti and vaganova? Isn't the latter some kind of Latin American dance????

Cecchetti is a syllabus of ballet developed no less by Mr Cecchetti, an Italian who was an important figure in the Russian Ballet schools. This style is noted for its graceful lines and arm movements called port de bras. Vaganova is the pure Russian method of ballet developed surprisingly by Madame Vaganova.

If you live in the Flagstaff area the local state high school is Blackwood High, but you might also be in the zone for Aberfoyle Park. Both of these high schools are good, offering lots of choices. The people I know who have kids at these schools are happy with them. Private schools in this area are St John's grammar, Westminster College, Woodcroft College, Cardijn College, Mercedes College, Scotch college, Cabra, Sacred Heart. Fees at these schools range from about $6000 - $16000 a year.

Guest ozzy wannabe

We live in Happy Valley and my daughter goes to an RAD ballet school in Morphatt Vale which isn't too far away, about 5-10 minute drive.

Vicky

Guest Diane

Have you considered where you will be working? If you and your other half will be working in the City, then Flagstaff Hill would probably be fine, but if you are likely to be working in the northern suburbs, it might not be. I have said it before, but we have heard of some employers turning down applicants because they live 'too far away' from the place of work. Even if you are happy with an hour's commute there and back, it is the employer's choice who they take on! Plenty of schools around, plenty of dance schools, plenty of beaches - I still think it's your place of employment that should be the first factor!

Just my opinion though!

D

Hi Sarah

Location/suburb, school, work, transport links are all key when deciding where to buy, can you manage with 1 car or 2. Lots of lovely beaches, all accessible. Flagstaff is a very nice suburb & does attract a lot of brits when they come over. You will have to have a good look around & get a feel for what suits you & your family best.

Good luck

Angela