Hughes'Roberts

Travelling Emirates with 7 month Baby

Calling out mums with bubs who have travelled with Emirates from Adelaide to LHR via Dubai!

Just wondering whether I can take an unopened tin of Baby Formula through security at Adelaide in my hand luggage and also has anyone had any issues then taking an opened tin through security at Dubai when we board our second flight. Last question....will LHR be okay with me having 2 tins of unopened formula in my checked luggage?

Were trying to be organised as ever for this long trip with the little one, any tips or advice from any mums who has done this route with Emirates (flying 10pm - arrive LHR 12.15pm) would be great!

Thanks in advance :-)

When we first came to Australia for a holiday 12 years ago (with a 6 month & 18 month) instead of bringing the big tins we poured the powder into a ziploc bag and thought nothing more of it until customs stopped us (because of a toy one of children had) and then we had to explain a large bag of powder...

Although I really don't know how you'll go now with security being so much stricter. Can you buy smaller tins and write off the cost as you go through each airport?

That you may well have to bin but that's not a biggie. Do so if it says so or if they say so. Thousands of babies fly daiky and I can't think they will read you the riot act if a tin is open and you've used some.

Have you considered cartons of ready made or reading up on if you can put the formula in bottles ready to go? Then mix them up on the plane as required.

Contact the airline direct if you are really worried and want it in writing. Also perhaps their website may have info.

Fyi, if you are only going to open one, I'd bung the other in checked baggage and save room in hand luggage. Also you can buy formula at airports if need be :)

Worse case scenario I could always purchase some baby formula at Dubai providing the retail shops are open at 5am! But Yes that's an idea I could maybe have two tins and throw the opened one if there is an issue at Dubai. Im not bothered about cost...anything that will make it easier!

Thanks! I think ill contact the airline too. Sadly no where in South Australia do ready made formula cartons! I was shocked at this as they are so convient when yiur on the go. I even tried to see if I could import some from the Uk but its impossible.

Re tips, on a night flight I go with the usual bedtime routine to send of the sleep signals (apart from having a bath at bedtime obviously). So took baby sleeping bag, PJ's etc and popped him into it all while waiting for our flight to board. Was asleep soon after takeoff. If you use one a baby carrier or sling would be good to give you hands free and walk up and down the plane if need be. Same for the airport then, just pop baby in and away you go, free hands to do other stuff.

I'm sure some people have gotten bottles ready in advance and then added water once in the air when they are needed. Look in to that to save carrying tins of baby milk perhaps.

Re tips, on a night flight I go with the usual bedtime routine to send of the sleep signals (apart from having a bath at bedtime obviously). So took baby sleeping bag, PJ's etc and popped him into it all while waiting for our flight to board. Was asleep soon after takeoff. If you use one a baby carrier or sling would be good to give you hands free and walk up and down the plane if need be. Same for the airport then, just pop baby in and away you go, free hands to do other stuff.

I'm sure some people have gotten bottles ready in advance and then added water once in the air when they are needed. Look in to that to save carrying tins of baby milk perhaps.

Good Advice! Thank you :-)