Guest Claire-n-tel

Pronunciation.....

Pronunciation .. vote now  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Pronunciation .. vote now

• "scone" as in stone
      • "scone" as in gone

Guest Claire-n-tel

Ok people......trying to settle an argument here......I say "scone" as in stone and Tel says "scone" as in gone.....so which is right?....

mods how do I do a poll for this?

Guest Guest75

Don't ask me with my accent!!

This is as bad as the Data/Darta pronunciation here.:arghh:

When you start a new thread, near the bottom of the page is the option for including a poll. Should then be pretty self explanatory once you check the poll box.

You can edit your post still I think if you want to do a poll.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Never mind thanks Blossom :smile: I don't really need it cause I know ​I'm right anyway!

Guest Claire-n-tel

We always said it the other way round.....scone (gone) was toffs speak!

To add a poll when creating a thread, the option's tucked away at the bottom of the page like below.

postpoll.png

To add a poll to an existing thread, the option *should* be under the 'Thread Tools' option like in the screen-shot below

postpoll2.png

They are Scone(stone) iffn ya posh!Scone(gone) iffn ya rough n ready!!Lol!!

Well I'm rough and ready then.

Its the same with the Cyclone that has just past, it is Marcia but they pronounce it Marsha

Jam of course! Cream is too soft. It just pushes off if you try to put the jam on after.

Ohhhhhh now you've got me wanting clotted cream!

The worse one is Launceston........pronounced incorrectly as Lorn-Cess-Ton, in Cornwall the original Launceston is always pronounced Lan-sen....

Maroon is another one that winds me up and Yoghurt. I wondered if it was because I'm a common Northener and that maybe the Southerners speak the proper Queens English.

Scone / scone / or can I add a third? Scone (Scotland) which my ex-husband ( a Scot) pronounced 'Skoon'!

As for place names / words here, I'm afraid I've just got to go with local pronunciation. To do otherwise seems a bit arrogant, IMO.

Oh, and jam first, if you are going to have cream!

:smile: LC

Jam of course! Cream is too soft. It just pushes off if you try to put the jam on after.

Ohhhhhh now you've got me wanting clotted cream!

Clotted cream does not push off, squirty cream and jam does.

We are over in the UK in May/June and have a a few days booked in Cornwall, so the Cornish cream teas are in for a big hit, will also be on Exmoor for a day, with some real good cream teas around there too. I will let you know how nice they all are Blossom:biggrin:

Maroon is another one that winds me up and Yoghurt. I wondered if it was because I'm a common Northener and that maybe the Southerners speak the proper Queens English.

I agree Ktee! My Aussie husband has our little girl saying yoghurt 'yowgurt' and how maroon is 'marone' is a puzzle! I am a scone (gone) girl also but then again I'm a northerner and I think there is a definite north/south difference on that one.

When I worked in Adelaide as a temp in 2005 (on a work visa) I kept pronouncing the suburb names wrong and the customers on the other end of the phone found it hilarious and were very nice about it :biglaugh:. Thebarton was confusing ('Tiberton' the way the locals said it) and no doubt when we move over I'll have to learn all these things again!

The funniest mispronunciation in my book is the yanks' take on 'wor-ces-ter-shire' sauce!

Edited by Karen S-D

I agree Ktee! My Aussie husband has our little girl saying yoghurt 'yowgurt' and how maroon is 'marone' is a puzzle! I am a scone (gone) girl also but then again I'm a northerner and I think there is a definite north/south difference on that one.

When I worked in Adelaide as a temp in 2005 (on a work visa) I kept pronouncing the suburb names wrong and the customers on the other end of the phone found it hilarious and were very nice about it :biglaugh:. Thebarton was confusing ('Tiberton' the way the locals said it) and no doubt when we move over I'll have to learn all these things again!

The funniest mispronunciation in my book is the yanks' take on 'wor-ces-ter-shire' sauce!

I'm a northerner as well and I say scone (stone). My dad is from Birmingham and my mum from the Yorkshire/Lancashire border so that might have had an influence. Next time I talk to them I'll have to get them to say scone and see how they pronounce it.