Pronunciation.....

Guest Claire-n-tel

Pronunciation .. vote now  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Pronunciation .. vote now

• "scone" as in stone
    • "scone" as in gone

Guest Claire-n-tel

Ok people......trying to settle an argument here......I say "scone" as in stone and Tel says "scone" as in gone.....so which is right?....

mods how do I do a poll for this?

Jam of course! Cream is too soft. It just pushes off if you try to put the jam on after.

Ohhhhhh now you've got me wanting clotted cream!

Clotted cream does not push off, squirty cream and jam does.

We are over in the UK in May/June and have a a few days booked in Cornwall, so the Cornish cream teas are in for a big hit, will also be on Exmoor for a day, with some real good cream teas around there too. I will let you know how nice they all are Blossom:biggrin:

Maroon is another one that winds me up and Yoghurt. I wondered if it was because I'm a common Northener and that maybe the Southerners speak the proper Queens English.

I agree Ktee! My Aussie husband has our little girl saying yoghurt 'yowgurt' and how maroon is 'marone' is a puzzle! I am a scone (gone) girl also but then again I'm a northerner and I think there is a definite north/south difference on that one.

When I worked in Adelaide as a temp in 2005 (on a work visa) I kept pronouncing the suburb names wrong and the customers on the other end of the phone found it hilarious and were very nice about it :biglaugh:. Thebarton was confusing ('Tiberton' the way the locals said it) and no doubt when we move over I'll have to learn all these things again!

The funniest mispronunciation in my book is the yanks' take on 'wor-ces-ter-shire' sauce!

Edited by Karen S-D

I agree Ktee! My Aussie husband has our little girl saying yoghurt 'yowgurt' and how maroon is 'marone' is a puzzle! I am a scone (gone) girl also but then again I'm a northerner and I think there is a definite north/south difference on that one.

When I worked in Adelaide as a temp in 2005 (on a work visa) I kept pronouncing the suburb names wrong and the customers on the other end of the phone found it hilarious and were very nice about it :biglaugh:. Thebarton was confusing ('Tiberton' the way the locals said it) and no doubt when we move over I'll have to learn all these things again!

The funniest mispronunciation in my book is the yanks' take on 'wor-ces-ter-shire' sauce!

I'm a northerner as well and I say scone (stone). My dad is from Birmingham and my mum from the Yorkshire/Lancashire border so that might have had an influence. Next time I talk to them I'll have to get them to say scone and see how they pronounce it.