Guest Claire-n-tel

Eating Bugs?

Guest Claire-n-tel

Watched the shark tank last night, there was a woman who has started a business selling bugs to eat....even has bug flour!

So would you?? And what is the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?

Guest Claire-n-tel

Yes honestly!.....they even gave here the money.......the lady from boost juice gave her $170,000!!

I ate a cricket once in Thailand. It was like eating a spicy dry twig.

If they made flour out of it which tasted ok etc, sure. They already use beetles for colouring.

They already use beetles for colouring.

My son only found this out recently and has vowed to give up anything red just in case - I can't see that it's any different to eating any part of an animal really, it's just what we're used to as acceptable. I think we do need to look at more sustainable food sources if we're going to continue to grow as a world population, but having said that when the lady in Coles today tried to get me to buy whole fish instead of fillets I had to decline...

Guest Claire-n-tel
    When the lady in Coles today tried to get me to buy whole fish instead of fillets I had to decline...

You should try it.....cooking the whole fish gives much better flavour

Guest Guest75

Yep, Cochineal Beetles are used ,the live on cacti. We saw a Cochineal "farm" in the Canary Islands once.

Watched the shark tank last night, there was a woman who has started a business selling bugs to eat....even has bug flour!

So would you?? And what is the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?

Well, I moved to Hong Kong aged 18months and lived there for 6.5 years. I remember going in a shop one day and they had a variety of jars containing insects covered in chocolate. I might have only been 5, but that seemed odd to me :err: My dad decided against it but he did once have live shrimp in Korea - very ill afterwards.

Cooler

Guest wen66

Ooh I watched that episode of Shark Tank. Why not insects? Probably better for you than highly processed food from China.......:-D