leaving party yes/no?

just diescussion with the hubby weather to have a leaving party or not .

some of you guys have done these, but we dont know what to do?what did you do?

or if people are the same as us and dont know what to do, if it will be to emotional,and if it will be good to have the kids there etc?

we will be in MIL house when THAT time comes so we will have to hire a hall, thats not a problem but is it easier to have a or not ? we carnt make up our minds.

please help i dred this more than you would believe

sue xxx

Guest Guest75

It depends if you can stand the emotional stress of it all.

We had a few boozeups/parties - wish we;d have gotten it over in one go really.

Guest alibongo

we are definately having a big party and want everyone there to sign a "visitor" book and we will take loads of photos to add to the book. Hope we will have a great night.

There will also be seperate parties for individual events such as work and golf society evenings etc so we will be busy over the next few weeks

Think the hardest ones will be the family ones..

Ali

It depends if you can stand the emotional stress of it all.

We had a few boozeups/parties - wish we;d have gotten it over in one go really.

know where your coming from I want a party but he dont.

carnt be bothed wtih the trouble

Hi all,

We had a small family gathering in each of the households. ie Andy's mum had the aunties and cousins round for a goodbye dinner, which we felt was easier as we said the goodbyes to the family but left the parents till the day before we left. Same at my parents too.

We were going to have a party and get it over and done with in one go, but the emotional stress on the kids, my OH and his mum would have been too much.

I am glad we did what we did now, it was so much easier saying goodbye to relatives that we didn't see all the time and left the hardest ones to concentrate on at the end. We just got into the mindset that we were going on an extended holiday, as the amount of family & friends whom I know will come out for a visit, so we will see plenty of people over the next few years! Helps mentally and emotionally!

We couldn't have done the big goodbye or speaches or anything, but everybody is different. I enjoy a good get together and having fun, but only when it is for other people, we don't like to be the ones at the centre of it!

Also we said we were leaving on the Wednesday and said our last goodbyes on the tuesday, but in actual fact we weren't leaving until the Thursday, this gave us a day to ourselves, to get our heads back together again and the emotions in a good state before going on the plane. It worked for us.

We gave the kids an autograph book each and they took it to school for their friends and teachers to put a note in it. They also took it to the clubs that they were in and got family to put messages in it too. I felt that this got the kids mentally ready for the changes ahead.

But this is only our experience, you know yourself better than anybody, so decide what is good for you and your family.

Good Luck and enjoy whatever you decide to do.

HEY,

We had a fancy dress leaving party,.....the goodbye and speeches from the parents were heart wrenching but i would i do it again......YES!! It was a fabulous night with many happy memories.

On the day before me and Steph both went to our own parents for a dinner...which again was a nice and gave us both a litlle time with our families!

So i say yes!!!

Dan and Steph

Guest Nick11

We had a leaving party. 150 people packed into a room on hottest day of year!!!!!

Was fine until music finished and people started saying goodbye!!!!!!!!!!

Never felt sooooooooooooooooooooo sad and upset ever - nobody would go!!!!

Just wanted to walk out there and then!!!!!!

It was slow torture!

Dragging the kids away from their best friends - not good!

Guest Django

I don't want to have 'a do' in any shape or form. We said goodbye to most of our friends when we moved up near the Humber from the London area 5 years ago. Have been in contact with very few since then. I'm not that close to my family so a quick pop in and say 'bye all I'm off' would be fine by me. Tracey is very close to her mum and brother so that would be a longer visit. The only thing is Tracey wants a all singing all dancing goodbye bash. I'd rather say goodbye to the family and quietly get on the plane and send everyone an email from the otherside.

Pete

Guest Nick11
I don't want to have 'a do' in any shape or form. We said goodbye to most of our friends when we moved up near the Humber from the London area 5 years ago. Have been in contact with very few since then. I'm not that close to my family so a quick pop in and say 'bye all I'm off' would be fine by me. Tracey is very close to her mum and brother so that would be a longer visit. The only thing is Tracey wants a all singing all dancing goodbye bash. I'd rather say goodbye to the family and quietly get on the plane and send everyone an email from the otherside.

Pete

Have the party , if it keeps her happy.

Compromise - key to a happy marriage - or should I say - she decides and you accept!

Guest mOZzy

i am with you on this one pete!

spookily enough we also moved 3 years away from every friends ashley had - and not much contact since!! - and he's not so close to his family either!

we'll go to austria though (actually next friday for 10 days) to say good bye to my family.

but i've moved away once already so there won't be much difference really ...

and to be honest: i wouldn't want a big party either - i'd be the first one to cry :goofy:

We will just be doing the visits and saying our good byes that way. Will have a couple of small get togethers with families from afar (had the first one about 6 weeks ago- me thinks they cant wait to get rid of us!:D)

We are doing a bowling night for the children where they are inviting their best friends along so should be good night for them!

Dont think i can do the big leaving party thing, much prefer the quiet goodbyes

Guest jamesholmes_@hotmail.com

We had a leaving party and it was brilliant. There werent really any tears just everybody having fun and getting drunk. It was a great way for us to say goodbye to everybody in one go.

Our parents went around with a camera taking photos of everybody who attended and they all had to write something on a little index card. Our parents then matched the cards up with the photos and made us an album to bring over with us.

Great idea.

Emma and James

Guest caoimhe

Were are talking about a party, mainly to say goodbye to the one's we don't see often like cousins etc. thought we could do it about a week before we go and leave saying goodbye to our immediate family nearer the time.

Although I know that no matter what I say my sister will be at the airport. In fact as I have family in England O/H suggested flying from Belfast-Manchester-London and then onwards so I could visit my relatives in Manchester on the way but my sis had a fit as she reckons she couldn't cope with the thought of us so near for a few days without coming home and she wants to be the last person we say goodbye too!!

I am dreading it tho but I don't think I could cope with a load of goodbyes dragged out over different nights so I think I would be better getting it over and done with. We will have enough to do without running around visiting people beforehand but the thought of loads of drunk people crying terrifies me (and I expect to be one of them) :P

It wont be easy whatever you do but I think get it over asap and if that means having a party on one night instead of loads then so be it but we are all different so whatever is best for you

We did it the REALLY hard way - we got married and combined our reception with our leaving do! I have to say it worked out brilliantly, we had the most fabulous wedding day and the reception/party was fantastic. The best part was right at the end, most people had gone and there was just family left. My brother in law went over to the chip shop and we sat there in all our wedding finery scoffing fish and chips in the middle of the marquee and washing it down with champagne! We got married in June and left in July - that's the way to do it!:jiggy:

Guest Trakki
Have the party , if it keeps her happy.

Compromise - key to a happy marriage - or should I say - she decides and you accept!

Thankyou! Thats what I told him, we are having it and thats that. Actually we are combining it with a naming ceremony (non- religous christening thing) for Joe. That in the afternoon, party in the evening, perfect. :D

Guest Sharon and Paul

Pete

So its a big party then Pete? :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest caoimhe
Well, he doesn't have to come, he can always stay at home and look after the kids!! :wacko:

Now guys no domestic's allowed on a public forum :realmad:

:biglaugh::biglaugh: