Guest Claire-n-tel

Languages

Guest Claire-n-tel

I love misspelt Latin.....it often means something different! I don't remember the words but in Latin lessons in school they spoke about the importance of letter placement and feminine/masculine, it apparently easy to confuse "I laugh at you" with "I **** on you"!!!

Guest Husky
    I love misspelt Latin.....it often means something different! I don't remember the words but in Latin lessons in school they spoke about the importance of letter placement and feminine/masculine, it apparently easy to confuse "I laugh at you" with "I **** on you"!!!

In german they have feminine, masculine and neutral...der,die and das

In British Sign Language the sign for 'sandwich' was very close to that of er, 'making love'

There are many examples of where incorrect spellings, or punctuation errors, change the whole meaning.

One of my current faves is:

"Let's eat, Grandma." as opposed to, "Let's eat Grandma!"

That said, I guess we simply have to use our common sense when we communicate lol!

:smile: LC

I have enough problems with my own language never mind a different one. Most foreign languages are Latin to me. My eldest son is learning Japanese at school at the moment which apparently has 2 alphabets and use Chinese characters to splits things up. I imagine that could lead to some interesting mistakes.

A girl where I work was getting an order ready to go out and writing the suburb in huge writing all over it. She managed to misspell Virginia. lol. We thought it was hilarious. She didn't. :-D