Guest Globetrotter

Dentist costs

Guest Globetrotter

Hi all

I rang up a local dentist on Friday as I've chipped a tooth and booked an appointment with them. I asked if I could have a check up at the same time as I've not had one since coming over. When I asked how much my jaw dropped to the floor - $245 & that's just for the check up, god knows how much it's going to cost me for the repair. She did explain that includes two xrays, but it still seems v expensive to me. I'm leaving the check up for a while !!!

I just wondered if this was the average cost for a dentists check up or I'm I being ripped off ? Also I've heard of some type of cover that allows you to get money off dentists and afew other treatments, if any one knows any details I'd be gratefull. I just thought medicare covered dentist too, so had a nasty shock !!

Any advice would be helpful, thanks

Kerry

Yep that would be about right. First year dental graduates are the highest earnig grads. Most private health funds do an extras cover which covers dental, physio, etc. Usually there is a 2 month waiting period. Dental is not covered by medicare.

Guest Nick11
    Hi all

I rang up a local dentist on Friday as I've chipped a tooth and booked an appointment with them. I asked if I could have a check up at the same time as I've not had one since coming over. When I asked how much my jaw dropped to the floor - $245 & that's just for the check up, god knows how much it's going to cost me for the repair. She did explain that includes two xrays, but it still seems v expensive to me. I'm leaving the check up for a while !!!

I just wondered if this was the average cost for a dentists check up or I'm I being ripped off ? Also I've heard of some type of cover that allows you to get money off dentists and afew other treatments, if any one knows any details I'd be gratefull. I just thought medicare covered dentist too, so had a nasty shock !!

Any advice would be helpful, thanks

Kerry

Sounds right - but shop around for the best price, however the best price doesn't necessarily mean the best dentist!