Adelaide Suburbs Rank Lowest in Australia

Ktee

Houses in Adelaide’s northern suburbs are not only some of the cheapest in the state, they are also some of the most affordable in the nation.

Five northern suburbs have made CoreLogic RP Data’s list of the nations most affordable suburbs, based on median house values of suburbs with at least 100 sales for the year to November 2014.

Elizabeth North was the most affordable South Australian suburb, claiming sixth place on the national list with a median value of $174,191.

Davoren Park, claimed seventh place with a median value of $178,657 and Smithfield Plains, with a median of $184,904, came in at eighth place.

Elizabeth Downs was the nation’s ninth most affordable suburb with a median value of $193,780 and Elizabeth South came in at tenth place with a median of $193,362.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real-estate/five-of-adelaides-northern-suburbs-rank-among-the-10-cheapest-in-the-nation/story-fndba8zb-1227239893982

I suppose you could say that for every area, obviously some people think it's a great investment, maybe first time buyers, people who can't afford to be in the top suburbs. I know the suburbs beginning with M up here all had bad reputations that had stuck with them for years people bought in to the area and now they are sitting on property that has made the best returns in Cairns. It was the same with Frankston in Melbourne but people bought there mainly investors and the council did it up and it was lovely, a lot of people still didn't want to live there because of its past reputation.

The thing with the northern suburbs (apart fro their current reputation) is their distance from the sea and the Hills. It's fairly industrial up that way so no matter how much is pumped into the areas they're still not going to be able to contend with any of the other suburbs in terms of value.

But on the other hand, like you say, they do offer prices that people can afford - when we arrived and were house sitting north of the city the couple who's house we were in said they started in their preferred areas and went north till they could afford something... and when you're young and just starting out you definitely have a different criteria to when you're 40 and have a family.

Guest Guest14361
The thing with the northern suburbs (apart fro their current reputation) is their distance from the sea and the Hills. It's fairly industrial up that way so no matter how much is pumped into the areas they're still not going to be able to contend with any of the other suburbs in terms of value.

what areas do you class as northern suburbs,

Here we go again knocking the Northern suburbs!!!!! I live north of Adelaide and my suburb is very nice thank you - so please dont come door knocking on my door, even though I'd be very pleasant and polite towards you, some of us are very nice.

So I am guessing the suburbs mentioned are in the North?

To be honest what does it matter as long as there is affordable property for people.

I remember when I did relocations in Melbourne I would never judge any suburb. I once took a family out, they were the loveliest family you could ever meet, they decided they wanted to view a house in a particular suburb, it's an area that I personally couldn't live in but we went to have a look and they loved the area and the house. They moved in and we were invited around a number of times and I have to say all the neighbours had been wonderful lending them furniture, inviting them around, even finding them both jobs, they are still there 6 years on. Yet another family I relocated moved in to a very affluent area in to a $1.8 million house and the neighbours were all stuck up and never spoke to them at all. They once needed a lift to the doctors urgently with their baby and the neighbour refused to get the car out because it had just been valeted :frown:

Here we go again knocking the Northern suburbs!!!!! I live north of Adelaide and my suburb is very nice thank you - so please dont come door knocking on my door, even though I'd be very pleasant and polite towards you, some of us are very nice.

Hi Jenny, don't worry it's only one person and who cares what anyone else thinks as long as you are happy that's all that matters.

what areas do you class as northern suburbs,

The ones listed in KTee's opening post - Elizabeth North, Davoren Park etc... I wasn't saying anything at all about the people who lived in the areas just it's actual physicality and the way there are no sea views or hills views to add value therefore properties will be cheaper.

Edited by flossybeth
spelling

I don't think anyone's knocking the northern suburbs it was just a report which shows housing is cheaper in the northern suburbs of Adelaide, and that's just fact. It stands to reason that different people like different areas and have different needs from the suburbs they choose to live in which is why cities exist in the way they do.

Around Elizabeth actually isn't that industrial. Holdens sure, but there are places like that all through Adelaide, North to South. You are much closer to farm land out there than most of the city. And you aren't any further from beaches than if you live in the hills or East adelaide.

I actually much prefer around Elizabeth for shopping etc. They seem to have much more variety of shops (speaking as someone who never goes into the city).

There are some very pretty areas, and it doesn't have the same rush hour traffic problems most of the city has (not as bad anywsy).

However, if you spend any time there it is obvious that there is a class difference to other parts of Adelaide. The large amounts of young people hanging outside Elizabeth shopping centre smoking, and with small children is noticeably more than say Marion. I've seen parents swearing at the top of their voices at small children, dodgy looking people shouting at people they don't know randomly.

To me it is comparible with Bolton where I lived before moving here. I moved here to get away from those sorts of people. My house in Bolton was a good stepping stone, and many people would be happy living there for life. I wasn't, and wouldn't want to live somewhere like that now.

But as the article says, housing is great value. For some people, with care of which street they are buying houses on, it would be great.

Not all northern suburbs need bunching in together. There are nice ones too. You can move out there and feel like you have country living, rather than city. You get FAR more house and land for your money. You are closer to crabbing beaches, the barossa etc.

And I wouldn't want to go door knocking anywhere either. ;-)