Money Saving Tips: Cinema's

There are many ways to save money and lots of PIA members (like Diane) have some great money saving tips. It can be tough to balance the budget and any tips to save money are a real help…

It would be great if members can share their ways to save a few Dollars.

Cheaper MovieTickets.

It can be very expensive to go to the movies but there are ways to cut costs!

There are a number of different cinemas in Adelaide with the main ones being Wallis and Event.

Typical movie costs are:

Wallis: Adult $19

Child $14.50

Event: Adult $19.50

Child $14.50

Wallis have a family discount ticket and it pays to ask for the cheapest ticket if you are taking the children out.

Wallis also have cheap Tuesday tickets where all tickets are $12.

You can also save lots of money by buying a book of 10 tickets.

Event has a CineBuzz club.

Membership is free and a temporary card can be collected from the ticket office.

You collect points for every movie and get a free movie ticket after viewing 6 movies.

The Cinebuzz club also has a featured movie of the week. This is typically a movie that has been out for a few weeks and the cost for this is $10.

There is also another web site that allows you to book Wallis movies online and save on the ticket cost. The price varies according to the time of day and the release / popularity of the movie but it’s much cheaper than paying full ticket price. I had a look for today’s prices and tickets are $8.95 for the morning and afternoon shows and $10.95 for the evening shows (plus a $1 booking fee per ticket).

The address is:

http://www.ticketbounty.com.au/movie-ticket-deals

Happy viewing!

If I have forgotten to add something please help out.

There are other cinemas around like Capri so if anyone has any other ways to save $ please share?

Edited by Tamara (Homes Down Under)

Hoyts is the other one - they do a Hoyt's loyalty card where you get a free ticket once you've accrued enough points, plus you get emails with special offers of a movie of the week.

Normal prices I think are $17 adults, $12.50 (ish) for kids or concessions.

Going on Tuesdays (all tickets at kids' prices) is still the best bargain though! Often discount sites like Scoopon and Groupon do cinema tickets at reduced prices too. Worth keeping an eye out for those.

Or of course, you could ask a handy teenager how you could watch the film for free online - but as that's probably illegal I of course would never EVER do that!!

If you are a member of the SDA union (retail workers) you can buy Wallis and Event movie tickets from the union web site for $10.

There are a number of eateries in the Marion shopping centre that offer discounted movie tickets with their meals....Nando's, Spargo's...the Spanish chocolate place (can't remember the name).

The Colonnades Tavern in Noarlunga do movie deals with their meals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you sign up for a J card they have a promotion running with Wallis for the rest of the year. The last Monday of every month (like today!) has a deal where upon presentation of a J card at Wallis they will let you buy up to 4 movie tickets for $5 each...to be used on the same day. That's a good deal if you fancy seeing a movie on the last Monday of the month for the rest of the year!

You don't have to gamble and you can accumulate points from spending on meals too..

[h=1]About Jackpot Club.[/h] [h=3]The Jackpot Club was established in May 1996[/h]Venues wanted to reward customers for their business and entice repeat business. The most effective way to do this was to create a loyalty system; easy, customer friendly, redeemable in all areas and free.

Today, the Jackpot Club offers one of the state’s biggest linked prize pools, complimented by a strong promotional program, providing a competitive advantage to all. [h=3]Introduction of Our J–Card[/h]To provide even more venue and customer benefits, we created the J-Card. This single card can be used in any Jackpot Club venue across all areas of trade. The J-Card’s success lead to a rise in the number of hotels joining the Jackpot Club, as on average 90% of customer’s regularly frequent more than one hotel.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just adding to this thread as the Wallis 2015 cinema card is available now

https://www.telethon.com.au/projects-and-events/telethon-movie-card-2015/

https://www.telethon.com.au/projects-and-events/telethon-movie-card-2015/terms-and-conditions/

$20, gets you discounted tickets and some other stuff at Wallis cinemas.

We found it really handy and used all the discount vouchers within the timeframe at their Mitcham cinema. Made it great when going with my son or with hubby as we either paid just the child price or one of us adults got the reduced ticket price. They did free tickets upfront last year on the 2014 card and also the reduced price but no free ones this year upfront alas. But 2 $6 tickets (not sure if you can use them both at the same time IYKWIM).

Another couple of cheap options - Windsor Theatres just off Jetty Road, Brighton is $10 most nights or $8 Tuesdays - double feature every night. The snacks are supermarket prices too. Note they only take cash.

Palace Nova and Palace Eastend (two separate buildings on either side of Rundle Street in the city centre) have a great selection of movies, just $9 adult tickets on Monday nights - plus you can take beer/wine into the movie with you. :)

Semaphore odeon $9 a ticket for anyone, anytime.

But buy your lollies from the IGA first!

http://www.odeonstar.com.au

I never knew that there were so many cinemas around! I may just try some of them. At the moment my local is the Wallis in Noarlunga and I am a Cine Club member and go to Marion but seeing a movie with the kids in another location could be a good day out...thank you!

I buy the lollies at Coles and Woolies when they have the half price deals but a local IGA sounds like a good idea...:smile:

Another couple of cheap options - Windsor Theatres just off Jetty Road, Brighton is $10 most nights or $8 Tuesdays - double feature every night. The snacks are supermarket prices too. Note they only take cash.

Palace Nova and Palace Eastend (two separate buildings on either side of Rundle Street in the city centre) have a great selection of movies, just $9 adult tickets on Monday nights - plus you can take beer/wine into the movie with you. :)

Beer and wine...OMG! The gold class at Marion with food and drink is bad enough. A reclining full size chair is bad news. Add a couple of drinks and my OH's snoring will spoil it for everyone else!:biglaugh:

Wow - that's a bargain Snifter. We go to the Mitcham Wallis Cinema and go to the movies a lot - thanks for the info.

I ordered it online on Sunday, it was posted out Monday and arrived yesterday. No postage charge either.

Planning on putting it to use this weekend all being well :)

It may be if there are two of you and you go a lot, getting 2 cards might be worthwhile. Check and see perhaps?

Edited by snifter
added a bit

• 3 weeks later...

As it's school holidays next week I have just ordered some movie tickets through the SDA union (have a family member).

The adult tickets were $10.50 and the children's tickets were $8.50 for Event (Marion is my nearest).

I only just found out that you can still scan your Cine Buzz cards even if you have a movie voucher. I am going to register the kids for one and that means there will be a free ticket for every 6 movies viewed...even though you have paid $8.50 for a ticket and not $14.50.