Recommend Doctors in Aberfoyle Park/ Flagstaff hill area

cardmakerex65

I don't want to sound racist but I've heard several bad reports of the NEW Hub complex (in the old Salvos building) - when the place opened up they were all foreign and some of them very hard to understand. I go to the other small practice nearby and they are brilliant. My doctor bilk bills (but not the other 2) and he spent some time working in the UK so understands the differences in the systems. He is getting closer to retirement and only works part time as he likes to spend his spare time camping and off-roading in the outback.

The whole staff are very helpful and Ive never had problems with making appointments when i needed them.

We live in Aberfoyle Park and use the Doctors practice at Riverside Medical Centre, Franklin House, on Main South Road (just before Flagstaff Road). I find they are truly a family practice They bulk bill us, as we are pensioners, but I don't think they bulk bill all patients. My daughter and her family pay when they go there, but not an extortionate amount.

I have seen three of the doctors and find them all caring and competent. They were all trained locally. I do have a favourite, but don't think I had better name her (or she will be booked out).

I never have to wait more than a day for an appointment, if I am prepared to see any one of the doctors and they do open on Saturday. I highly recommend the practice.

In the cinema today was an advert for Flagstaff Medical Centre, near the shops. Not tried them, but one of my daughters found them good, but expensive.

There is a bulk billing on in Aberfoyle Park I think. The one by the library at the Hub.

Yes, and I have been there a couple of times as has my husband. There are 3 doctors there and not only do they they bulk bill but they are open 7 days a week.

Edited by emmie

I don't want to sound racist but I've heard several bad reports of the NEW Hub complex (in the old Salvos building) - when the place opened up they were all foreign and some of them very hard to understand. I go to the other small practice nearby and they are brilliant. My doctor bilk bills (but not the other 2) and he spent some time working in the UK so understands the differences in the systems. He is getting closer to retirement and only works part time as he likes to spend his spare time camping and off-roading in the outback.

The whole staff are very helpful and Ive never had problems with making appointments when i needed them.

Not racist, but perhaps a tad ignorant if one listens to scuttlebutt. There are 3 doctors there; two are Indian and one is Caucasian. One of the Indian doctors is highly trained and has done post graduate work in Canada. Their English is very good and their accent is not an impediment whatsoever. They are personable and passionate about their profession.

You must be referring to another surgery. :) I find them 'brilliant' too!

Edited by emmie

But you do sound racist!!

We actually followed two of the Drs to the New Aberfoyle Hub Centre when they set up the Practice (they had previously worked at the very busy Fountain Medical Centre in Happy Valley). At the Aberfoyle Hub Practice you can get an appointment easily on the same day and they are open 7 days as someone else mentions. They also have a late night or two for anyone that works. And they Bulk Bill! Perfect.

As a side, their English is perfect and we have absolutely no issues understanding them. I am surprised people still say such awful things about not understanding accents but actually, someone else said similar to me the other day without ever having been to the practice. Such a backwards way of thinking. Come on!!!!

I went to a Dr in Elizabeth. The guy was nice enough, but I think maybe Middle eastern? He didn't fully understand English! I kid you not, he was asking why I got tested for toxoplasmosis as I was pregnant.... Eyebrow raised just at the question, but when I was explaining that I have three cats, and like my meat rare he asked me what rare meat was. I explained, spelt it for him, he says 'like the word for uncommon?'. I then had to explain that if I had already had it I was safe to change cat litter, and a bit safer to eat rare meat as he didn't even know that.

He didn't give me any info about my pregnancy. When I asked if it was safe for me to do exercise he told me to look it up on the Internet! I asked him what I do next (never having been pregnant I didn't know) and he gave me a number to call and said they would arrange my scan. Turns out he should have given me a referral, so I had to go back to another Dr to get that. I never went back to that practice.

Does it make me racist that I had a bad experience with someone who's first language isn't english? No of course not. He was nice enough, but he didn't have the basic communication skills or knowledge I'd expect from a Dr.

I went to a Dr in Elizabeth. The guy was nice enough, but I think maybe Middle eastern? He didn't fully understand English! I kid you not, he was asking why I got tested for toxoplasmosis as I was pregnant.... Eyebrow raised just at the question, but when I was explaining that I have three cats, and like my meat rare he asked me what rare meat was. I explained, spelt it for him, he says 'like the word for uncommon?'. I then had to explain that if I had already had it I was safe to change cat litter, and a bit safer to eat rare meat as he didn't even know that.

He didn't give me any info about my pregnancy. When I asked if it was safe for me to do exercise he told me to look it up on the Internet! I asked him what I do next (never having been pregnant I didn't know) and he gave me a number to call and said they would arrange my scan. Turns out he should have given me a referral, so I had to go back to another Dr to get that. I never went back to that practice.

Does it make me racist that I had a bad experience with someone who's first language isn't english? No of course not. He was nice enough, but he didn't have the basic communication skills or knowledge I'd expect from a Dr.

No it doesn't make you racist. More to do with the Doctor not knowing what they were doing from what you have said. Telling people to avoid a practice as the doctors have accents you won't understand, is on the way to being so IMO. Hurtful anyway. Touches a nerve with me as we are a bi-racial family and people say things to me all the time that they would never say to my husband.