ross1983

Booking rental in advance?

Hi

We are in temporary accommodation just now but are starting to look at units/houses to rent when we move out in mid May. Is it possible to 'book' a rental just now and request to take it from a few weeks further down the line? We could pay the bond etc just now. We haven't rented in the Uk before so not 100% sure how the system works!

I've not heard of that being done tbh, though it might happen.

I think it will depend on when the rental is available from. If its vacant now, then no, doubt you'd be able to delay the date. A landlord isn't going to want a property standing empty with no rent paid for a few weeks if they can put someone in it. If you are happy to pay rent from day 1 and not move in till 6 weeks after that then fine, just check the lease for how long you can leave the property empty.

If its someone looking to break a lease and move out at the end of April say, then you should be able to secure it to take over from then.

I think it will come down to if its vacant or when the tenents lease is up or how quickly they wish to break it. Case of talking to the letting agents and seeing what is what.

Edited by snifter

Thanks, that's what I suspected. Do you know how long does it generally take from having to a viewing to moving in? We rented in Adelaide CBD once years ago and from memory it was only a couple of weeks?

If its vacant, how soon can you move in after you've signed on the dotted line I would think :cute:

One property near us was listed as vacant to rent and was on for 3/4 days with the agent and on day 5 someone was moving in! Went really quick.

When you look at listings on realesate.com.au they tend to list when the property is going to be available. Some for 'now'. Others for mid April, end of April etc

We were in our rental about 2 weeks after viewing... The landlord had a few finishing touches to do and the timing fitted in perfectly with our short term lease. :)

Guest vikkiann

We moved into ours 2 weeks after we signed the lease.

We were also in temporary accomodation and I didn't want to pay 2 lots of rents, our letting agent agreed to it, we signed and then went and got the keys on the day our lease began