Nikianx73

Computer Repairs

Hi All,

My laptop is sick and is in need of a doctor lol! Can anybody recommend a reliable (and reasonable) computer repair shop. I know there are loads about but I've been ripped off once before.

K. Firstly have you tried connecting it to a regular monitor to see if its just a dodgy screen? There should be one of the function keys that toggles between the laptop screen and a desktop screen (laptop only, desktop only, both on, both off). If it's this you just have a bad screen connection.

If not, does it have one or two sticks of RAM? If just one, try reseating it. If two, try using one at a time (and check both slots). Might be worth removing and replacing the hard drive as well to ensure its properly seated.

If it still refuses to cooperate try pressing F2 (or it might be F10 on an HP) on startup to access BIOS and look for a startup test. Run it if you find it and make a note of any error codes that show up. Google these and it might show what the issue is.

Laptops are a PITA. Might be a lot easier to remove the hard drive, get a newer/different laptop (not necessarily a brand new one) and use your old drive as an external backup. Then flog your G6 on ebay or Gumtree for spares or repair.

Edited by sidestep

Thanks Sidestep. Will definitely give it a go, let's face it I can't make it any worse and it can only go bang once lol! Wish me luck :)