beckdownunder

Real estate agent recommendations - Hallett Cove?

Hi,

We are looking to sell our house in Hallett Cove and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good real estate agents?

Thanks

Beck

In general, assuming your property is very ordinary you can go two ways:

1. Local agent - if you want to target ordinary market. 80% of the buyers buy within 10 km from their previous home

2. Botique agent close to CBD. In this case you will target market who used to higher prices and no longer wand madness of "CBD proximity" - i.e crime, drugs, pollution, overcrowding, etc.

Which way you go - largely depends on what you have got to offer.

If you have got a unique property (juicy zoning, large block, corner location, million dollar views, "renovator delight" or luxury renovations) - in other words property with highly desirable features - then brace for pain.

You will be targeted by unscrupulous agents.

Scheme is simple as a whistle. They would use all their expertise to repel genuine buyers and wrestle you to sell for a ridiculous price to them, their boss, their relatives, their friends, developers who pay them kickbacks and so on, and so on and so on.

There are some telltale signs, but even the most experienced sellers can be fooled.

Best solution - is to interview potential agents in the presence of professional psychologist, so they can pick up when you are lied to.

If your property gets looked at by the principal of an agency - run for your life.

Ask direct question about their involvement with the developers and renovators.

Do not sign selling contract longer than a month. If they refuse - let them go without regret.

And always remember - agents are masters of psychological pressure. Do not cave in.

To sell your house for a song you do not need an agent.

And ALWAYS check on them. Get your friends to pose as a buyers and figure out what agents tell them.

In general, assuming your property is very ordinary you can go two ways:

1. Local agent - if you want to target ordinary market. 80% of the buyers buy within 10 km from their previous home

2. Botique agent close to CBD. In this case you will target market who used to higher prices and no longer wand madness of "CBD proximity" - i.e crime, drugs, pollution, overcrowding, etc.

Which way you go - largely depends on what you have got to offer.

If you have got a unique property (juicy zoning, large block, corner location, million dollar views, "renovator delight" or luxury renovations) - in other words property with highly desirable features - then brace for pain.

You will be targeted by unscrupulous agents.

Scheme is simple as a whistle. They would use all their expertise to repel genuine buyers and wrestle you to sell for a ridiculous price to them, their boss, their relatives, their friends, developers who pay them kickbacks and so on, and so on and so on.

There are some telltale signs, but even the most experienced sellers can be fooled.

Best solution - is to interview potential agents in the presence of professional psychologist, so they can pick up when you are lied to.

If your property gets looked at by the principal of an agency - run for your life.

Ask direct question about their involvement with the developers and renovators.

Do not sign selling contract longer than a month. If they refuse - let them go without regret.

And always remember - agents are masters of psychological pressure. Do not cave in.

To sell your house for a song you do not need an agent.

And ALWAYS check on them. Get your friends to pose as a buyers and figure out what agents tell them.

Jeez, bet you're a hit at parties!

I know a few real estate agents and they are real people, NOT monsters as you make out - some nice (the ones I know) but some I guess not - bit like the contributors to the forum!

Adelaide is a small place and word gets around so the bad ones wouldn't stay in business for long, so find a good agent that has been around a while, speak to your neighbours and other parents at the local school (if you have kids) and ask who they used.

The idea of getting a 'professional psychologist' to sit in on any meetings you have is just so laughable, they'd think you were a certified loony (which perhaps would be why you'd know a trained psychologist well enough to ask them to do this for you!!)

There was a guy on here who is an estate agent (Chris O'Brien, he has his own agency now I think), he was recommended and is based in Seaford. I don't have any details but I reckon you could probably google him.

Jeez, bet you're a hit at parties!

I know a few real estate agents and they are real people, NOT monsters as you make out - some nice (the ones I know) but some I guess not - bit like the contributors to the forum!

Adelaide is a small place and word gets around so the bad ones wouldn't stay in business for long, so find a good agent that has been around a while, speak to your neighbours and other parents at the local school (if you have kids) and ask who they used.

The idea of getting a 'professional psychologist' to sit in on any meetings you have is just so laughable, they'd think you were a certified loony (which perhaps would be why you'd know a trained psychologist well enough to ask them to do this for you!!)

Diane,

It has been long established that you judge people on how sweet they talk.

On that criteria you can chose just about ANY real estate agent. They are ALL amasing sweet talkers.

The thing you do not realise - they make their money not only from 3% commission you pay them. They make much more by knocking tens of thousands of dollars off the fair price of your property.

Some people think that agents work for the purchaser. Some people think they work for vendor. Both are wrong. Agents work for themselves, but they have myriads tricks to make you to think they work for you.

And if you are not vigilant enough you will stay deluded they are "real people".

As I said (and you missed) - if you own something without potential - then you will be smooth through the normal process - i.e. purchasers will be "conditioned" to pay a bit more than they want, you will be conditioned to accept a bit less than you expect and sale would go through.

But if there is a money making potential - you will get tons of flattery and smiles (which you obviously fall for), and for that you will be ripped off tens (or hundreds) of thousands of dollars.

And trust me, I know what I talk about. Last year example - I was asked to help a couple who tried to sell their house for mere $600K. Not one, but three agents applied enormous pressure claiming "no buyers' interest". 14 months on the market.

It took me 3 minutes to figure why. Another 2 months to get an approval to subdivide land in 4 lots. Another 2 months to sell each lot at $300K.

From my perspective these three agents are monsters and criminals attempting to rob a family of $600,000, from yours - they are real people, good smilers and sweet talkers.

And if you had an idea about how repressive Australian defamation laws are, you would not even mention that unscrupulous agent can lose their business. You will be surprised how much agents earn from defamation payouts.

My advice - if you ever asked about particular agent, answer "I am not at liberty to discuss this".

And think about this - practically all serial killers were nice people from the point of view of neighbours, colleagues, friends and family.

Edited by notpom