UK electrician looking for work or advice

Terry26

Hi everyone,

I arrived in Adelaide last week with my girlfriend and am looking to start work in a couple of weeks time.

I have obtained my OTSR and have now received my electricians workers registration which allows me to work under supervision until I receive my A License.

Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice or ideas on where to start, or even better if anyone is in the industry and is looking for an electrician.

Thanks in advance

Terry

Hi everyone,

I arrived in Adelaide last week with my girlfriend and am looking to start work in a couple of weeks time.

I have obtained my OTSR and have now received my electricians workers registration which allows me to work under supervision until I receive my A License.

Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice or ideas on where to start, or even better if anyone is in the industry and is looking for an electrician.

Thanks in advance

Terry

Hi terry

I thought I would reply seeing as we found ourselves in the same nightmare position last year.

After you get your supervised license, you need to do the uoskill course at peer, if you apply through skills for all the course will be free if you have permanent residency but you have to pay for books.

My boyfriend did his last year and just by luck managed to find a company willing to take him on in order to get the three montj of book done however employers are not that willing to take you on with a restricted license.

If you have any questions let me know, as I said we know how it feels when it seems so difficult just to get work!

It depends on how quickly you complete the peer course and then complete your three month log book, he had his in about 5 months but it wasn't easy getting the log book done. Peer is really the best place to start as they sort of take you through the whole process and then sign off your light book. Once they have signed this off you take that with your restricted license and then they give you your unrestricted.

Good luck in finding employment, you may be lucky and come across someone in peer looking for someone

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Loafydawson

Hi terry,

I'm posting this just in case you haven't had much luck since your last post.

I am also an electrician from the UK who has just arrived with my family on 09/04/15. I've completed my vettasses in the UK and I'm currently enrolled on the GAP training with PEER which is funded by skills for all however I did have to buy the books which were just under $500.

I am am currently looking for jobs as a trade assistant which isn't easy to swallow as I was an experienced electrical commissioning engineer in the uk.

You are able to start the log book of work experience prior to the course which is good as the next course isn't until the end of June. I've just started a rental in valley view so I'm still looking for work in the surrounding areas.

hope this helps mate and don't hesitate to get in touch if you want to bounce off each other.

good luck

wayne

Hi Terry / Wayne,

We came over in July 2012, and back then PEER didn't have a log book! It was 5 days intensive exams. The NRAH is the biggest job here at the moment, the new Hospital in the city. Try Nilsen Electrical (lead elec contractor) or Red Appointments (main agency supplier) to see if they're taking on Trades Assistants at the moment? I know they need a lot more A class sparks, and they currently have over 200 on it.

It it feels like forever before you have your licence but it won't be long! Hang in there.

*other half is a project manager for Nilsen. Not working on the hospital though.

Thanks a lot guys. You have both been really helpful. I am going to enrol with PEER on Monday hopefully for the course at the end of June. Going to start the job hunt also so fingers crossed.

I'll be in contact Wayne and let you know how I get on, and hopefully see you at PEER

Hi Terry and Wayne

my oh is also an electrician we arrived on the 18/04/15. He is enrolled on the peer veet course in June. We are arranging his funding next week with skills for all. He just had an email to say he also now needs to do a five day data cabling course.

it seems like SA is very popular with electricians at the minute, here's hoping you can all find work!

Hi Wayne

I was just wondering how you're getting on with your job search? I have had no luck at all. I have pretty much registered with every recruitment agency I can find, and have had nothing positive back yet.

I am finding it pretty frustrating as I don't know anybody in the industry out here and am not sure if there is a lack of work or I am just going the wrong way about it

Thanks

Terry

I am referring to work for Electricians in Adelaide

As EmBerry points out Electricians seem to be in demand on the new RAH with over 200 there already. Having worked on a couple of large scale projects in Adelaide, I would imagine the electricians are not just from Adelaide, usually they bring in workers from other states to cover demand. Job adverts for Electricians are usually looking for the A class licence so I am assuming you are applying for other roles until you are qualified as a backup. It is pretty normal in the current climate for it to take 3 months (some people will find work quicker others will take longer depending on the work they do) to find work, this isn't just for new migrants but for locals too, so as you have only been job hunting for a couple of weeks, it is still early days and with the Easter period as well, recruitment can slow down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...