Family Day Out: Birdswood

It's been quite a while since I was visited the national motor museum.

This should be a good day out and well worth a visit...:smile:

Rock & Roll Rendezvous at National Motor Mueseum at Birdwood on Sunday

• Roxanne Allan Lifestyle reporter
  • The Advertiser
  • April 09, 2015 11:25PM

900760-42af91d0-d914-11e4-a1d6-ed6c01baee47.jpg

SLICK: Already geared up for The Rock & Roll Rendezvous at Birdwood are Fashion Fever models Reece Avis-Alford and Kiralie Boyle.

SLICKED back quiffs and 60s mod mini dresses won’t look out of place when the Rock & Roll Rendezvous takes over Birdwood this Sunday.

Up to 5000 people are expected to attend the event at the National Motor Museum, where there’ll be about 400 vehicles from the 50s, 60s and 70s on display, as well as rock n’ roll music, dancing and fashion — just like the looks from Cassablanca clothing store modelled by Reece “Lightning” and Kiralie Boyle.

Event co-ordinator Pauline Renner said what makes the Rock & Roll Rendezvous special is the paring of classic cars and music from the 60s era.

“There are a number of classic car events around the state and over the years there has also been an increase in the number of rock and roll events, but there’s not many that put the whole package together and have the National Motor Museum as another feature of the day,” she said, adding that the event is family-friendly.

“There’s free craft activities for the littlies and I put a dance floor in just for the kids for those energetic rock and rollers ... there’s trails in the museum, there’s face painting, there’s a bouncing castle, there’s all those sorts of things available for the family.”

Gates open at 10am. Details: motor.history.sa.gov.au

Nice spot Birdwood. If it's cold make sure you wrap up warm - we went last winter and it was freezing inside and out. We took a picnic but ended up turning on the free BBQ and standing round that to keep warm.

It is a great part of the world.

It must be at least 5 years since we were last there. I am planning to take the two oldest grandchildren (8 and 5) out there but keeping them out of the cars could be an issue!:smile:

Is it any good out there? Wont it be a bit of a let down because we are such a small state and do things on a small scale?

If you go not expecting much then you will be happy with what you get. I was suprised at how big the place is and how many old cars and bikes they have there. We only spent the morning there but my eldest and me aren't that in to cars and the youngest had been with school just a week or two before. And it was freezing. My OH would have happily spent longer looking round regardless of the temperature if the rest of us weren't so keen to get warm.

Is it any good out there? Wont it be a bit of a let down because we are such a small state and do things on a small scale?

It is plenty big enough to spend a few hours there, and remember the more events they put on and the more support they get, the bigger the events become, as the saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day" Also remember most of these events are put on with a lot of help from volunteers who give there time free.

There is also a reasonable café opposite for a snack.

Nah. Do yourself a favour and take a drive out there. Its a great day out and well worth the visit.On a good weather day the kiddies will love it and even on a winter day theres plenty to do inside.