Is anyone considering leaving SA?

keldaz

We don't want to leave but the work situation has got far worse since the start of this thread. I've had an opportunity to return to the UK to work for my current employer. We are seriously considering the move but will put our stuff in storage. Hubby is a Hospitality Trainer and there is NO work for him in SA. It's very bleak in SA.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it's not looking good for anyone, and the leadership of the state, and truth be told, the boys club of the adelaide business, have only themselves to blame. They squandered numerous opportunities by looking out for themselves and their mates, thus nepotism and cronyism breeds incompetence and ineptitude.

The Tram line should go all along the median strip to port, because that is where the commercial premises, cafes, and offices are located, but that would take vision to rejuvenate ? Vision that is unfortunately lacking in adelaide, which is why people leave.

• 1 month later...
I think Adelaide has become really expensive, I'd hate to think what the costs are in Sydney... Every time I go out and buy something I feel like I'm being ripped off :-( And yes, jobs are scarce.

If you think Adelaide is expensive you are in for a shock in the UK. Even things like a coffee are double the price they are here. Plus fuel, public transport, parking costs, costs for days out. I think you will be surprised how expensive it is now there.

Food is definitely not cheaper, we only arrived here in March and I can guarantee it is very much equal, meat in the UK being much more expensive. And I came from the very north of England where it's a lot cheaper than the rest of the country x

Its interesting you say that. And good to hear your perspective on it.

I was back in the UK recently for a while and noticed that prices had increased in the 2 years we'd been gone. Sure some things there remain cheaper overall, bread being the main one (soap powder another I think) but when I looked at the items I usually bought there and buy here, there really wasn't much in it. From things like shampoo to tins of beans, deodorant to pasta.

The one thing the UK does which can make shopping seem cheaper is the specials and offers they have. Those crazy buy 1 get 2 free things or the soap powder for half price so only £10 a box. Soap powder here can be a silly price and I only ever buy my preferred brand when its on special here and then buy 5 of them and stock up. And each time a special is on I stock up on it. Same with dishwasher tablets etc. Only ever when cheap.

The exchange rate can make it look attractive but that fluctuates and once living in a country, working there and earning in the local currency, exchange rates are a moot point pretty much. It comes then from your income to outgoings then.

If you are buying the own brand cheap pre packed goods then I think that sort of shopping can possibly be done cheaper in the UK. For now. Once Aldi and Lidl hit here those things will fall in price here more I hope. But brand names there really isn't a huge amount in it IMHO. I'm a bit of a brand shopper but buy the own brand cheap tins of tomatos or tuna for example. Would only ever buy Heinz ketchup though :unsure:

Ready meals here are expensive I think. Never bought one here and there is a very limited range though more are creeping in.

After 2 years here almost I don't really compare costs to the UK anymore. I only did so as I was back there for a visit and found it pretty expensive in a lot of areas, not just some shopping items. I compare prices over here and do shop around between the main supermarkets for their deals and stock up when they are on. We also tend to eat a few veg based meals each week more as we don't want to eat so much meat but also to help keep costs down. Meat is a decent price here but there is so much of it! Way more on offer than we are used to. There are about 5893 different types of sausage on sale in the Central market alone :cute:

hmmmm, I'm sure your all happy to hear from me :)

Food varies , Meat (beef, Lamb) is certainly cheaper where we were in adelaide, but chicken is more expensive, the key thing as mentioned by snifter above is specials, I've noticed that where there is a Tesco, sainsburys and a Morrisson and maybe a Lidl within say 20 mins there are some very very good deals to be had on the buy 3 for 2 and 2 for 1.

The lack of competition in australia (generally) leads to some gouging, fresh raspberries in norwood were 4.99 for a 250g punnet, here they are 2gbp for a 450g punnet, (just as well, kids hoover them).

The big thing for us is variety, there is a huge variety on offer, and oddly things like mangos are cheaper in Uk, so too avocados ??? Bizarre considering that both these fruit are huge crops in oz.

1 avo at norwood usually around 3 dollars, here you can buy 4 for 3.20 or 1 for 90p

Never touched ready meals, never will, but all of the major multiples, including M&S and Waitrose are doing this feed 2 for 10 pound, which is not a bad deal.

Telecoms , certainly cheaper, BT x2 unlimited mobile plans and unlimited broad band and home phone costs us 100 pounds a month, in oz we had telstra and tag and came in usually around 300 dollars a month which is a bit pricey, Car insurance here cheaper (i'm getting old!), Public Transport quite expensive, my season to London costs 400, so close to 800 aud.

Schools are expensive unless you can manage private or selective/grammar, we've been lucky (through a lot of intense work) to get 2 children into an outstanding secondary oftsted and the last one into a similar primary, but lol, both schools in opposite directions so imagine the crazy logistics.

The big thing here is , I'm earning similar shekels to oz, I'm almost earning in pounds , what I earned in dollars, and that's a no brainer, we have substantial disposal income (after all we have to rebuild our deposit) but compared to Oz and the constant fee for this, fee for that, levy on levy and service fees for this and that. I'm sure the UK is similar but banking here is so cheap, no fees for using atm's, and mortgage to income ratio, well that speaks for itself.

For me it's about bringing my children up in a place that's still relatively safe. Hense the reason of leaving London in the first place. We all understand the issues surrounding SA. I've learned to just get on with it. If there's no work here look interstate. For those in construction, adelaide need a year to recover from the NRAH. 3rd most expensive building in the world is obviously going to hurt the purse. I believe adelaide will pick up again and we'll probably be having this same convo 10 years down the line.

hmmmm, I'm sure your all happy to hear from me :)

Food varies , Meat (beef, Lamb) is certainly cheaper where we were in adelaide, but chicken is more expensive, the key thing as mentioned by snifter above is specials, I've noticed that where there is a Tesco, sainsburys and a Morrisson and maybe a Lidl within say 20 mins there are some very very good deals to be had on the buy 3 for 2 and 2 for 1.

The lack of competition in australia (generally) leads to some gouging, fresh raspberries in norwood were 4.99 for a 250g punnet, here they are 2gbp for a 450g punnet, (just as well, kids hoover them).

The big thing for us is variety, there is a huge variety on offer, and oddly things like mangos are cheaper in Uk, so too avocados ??? Bizarre considering that both these fruit are huge crops in oz.

1 avo at norwood usually around 3 dollars, here you can buy 4 for 3.20 or 1 for 90p

Never touched ready meals, never will, but all of the major multiples, including M&S and Waitrose are doing this feed 2 for 10 pound, which is not a bad deal.

Telecoms , certainly cheaper, BT x2 unlimited mobile plans and unlimited broad band and home phone costs us 100 pounds a month, in oz we had telstra and tag and came in usually around 300 dollars a month which is a bit pricey, Car insurance here cheaper (i'm getting old!), Public Transport quite expensive, my season to London costs 400, so close to 800 aud.

Schools are expensive unless you can manage private or selective/grammar, we've been lucky (through a lot of intense work) to get 2 children into an outstanding secondary oftsted and the last one into a similar primary, but lol, both schools in opposite directions so imagine the crazy logistics.

The big thing here is , I'm earning similar shekels to oz, I'm almost earning in pounds , what I earned in dollars, and that's a no brainer, we have substantial disposal income (after all we have to rebuild our deposit) but compared to Oz and the constant fee for this, fee for that, levy on levy and service fees for this and that. I'm sure the UK is similar but banking here is so cheap, no fees for using atm's, and mortgage to income ratio, well that speaks for itself.

You obviously looked in the wrong shops or out of season re avocados, 50c each here for me yesterday. But hey, don't let a positive about SA spoil your Sunday.

And why did you pay 300 a month to Telstra (or did you have Foxtel as well)? Did you not look at Whirlpool and see how much cheaper you could have it. There is NO need to have expensive landline and mobile, as any expensive deal will include lots of things, no need to pay through the nose for both.

And why did you pay 300 a month to Telstra (or did you have Foxtel as well)? Did you not look at Whirlpool and see how much cheaper you could have it. There is NO need to have expensive landline and mobile, as any expensive deal will include lots of things, no need to pay through the nose for both.

We have 2 mobiles (unlimted data), unlimited broadband and opted out of a landline and pay $120 a month atm. If we need to make landline calls we use Skype and put a few $ on now and again as we use it so little. Didn't seem any point paying for a landline we never used. Our broadband speed isn't quite what it was in the UK (well, when we lived near Bristol anyways, rural was a different story lol) but its still decent.

In the UK we paid for a landline but apart from calling my mother now and again and annoying sales calls, it was never used. So moving here we decided to not bother with one at all. I don't think any of our family have a landline here either anymore. Can't think any of our friends do either. I certainly only have mobile numbers for them all, not a single landline number for anyone unless its the GP or repair garage and stuff like that.

We have Foxtel here, we never used to have Sky in the UK. We pay $60 a month for our Foxtel deal, including $10 for the HD which for husband is worth it :rolleyes::cute: And we get our monies worth out of it thats for sure. So its been worth getting here. All up, if we combine the two (phone/internet and Foxtel) we still come in under $200. Fair price for what we get from it :)

Strange isn't it this perspective thing? We have been back 6 weeks and can't believe how cheap food is in the UK. I would say its much cheaper than when we left in 2010. Meat doesn't seem more expensive either

I didn't find it all cheaper than when we left. I noted certain items I clearly remembered the price of had increased in the time we had been gone. Blooming toilet wipes for kids (bane of my life those things were :wubclub:), 30p price increase in less than 2 years, yet the 2 or so years I had been buying them before we left they had increased in price 10p. Own brand ones fwiw. Over here, there are no own brand ones in supermarkets, only the more expensive named brands which pricing them up, were pretty much on a par with here. So yeah, if I was there I'd be saving as not buying the pricey named brand ones but there.

I do think own brand stuff is cheaper in the UK. And the specials and so on are almost too cheap. Soap powder as I said, much cheaper in the UK but it has gone up in price a bit still. Other things, could debate or discuss but it doesn't change much. The prices are relative to those paying them and if they are ok with it, all good, wherever that may be.

I don't find Adelaide unreasonable to live in cost wise. I didn't find it bad in the UK either. The one thing that has made a difference for us is the property accessible to us here over where we were living in England. The housing market there was such that we really could not move up or out of where we were and unless we moved to a totally different much cheaper area (that we didn't like or want to live in), we were stuck. Here, the way Adelaide is built and has developed meant we had more choice in terms of housing and where to settle than we did back in England, if that makes sense.

All up, wherever you live, so long as you are happy with it, can afford it, what does it really matter to someone else the other side of the world.

Glad you are enjoying being back in the UK and hope it continues to go well for you :)

You obviously looked in the wrong shops or out of season re avocados, 50c each here for me yesterday. But hey, don't let a positive about SA spoil your Sunday.

50c for avocado's ! lol, woolies have them at 2.99 each online (just shecked) saisnburys are selling x4 avo's in a pack for 3.20, thats 80p each about the same as you'r 50c eh ?, oh you must live on an avocado farm!! that's why they're so cheap.

does not matter how cheap stuff if is you can't afford to buy them, due to no work being available in adelaide.

300 a month to telstra for x2 mobiles with unlimited and broadband, took ages to shake off the land line rental which we managed after 1 year in adl

I wasnt shopping in the stores you mention, I use local shops, and I live in NE Adelaide, and utilise the market 'shops' and markets.

It doesn't matter if you live in Adelaide, London, NSW or anywhere, if you don't work you can't afford everything you want, I don't get why you put that dig in to Adelaide. It's not relevant to the discussion.

And your Telstra bill, again nothing to do with ADL as you quoted, it's the same deals nationally. And as I mentioned and Snifter backed up, you were paying too much.

As for phone calls a long distance (national) call here can be 3000 miles, in London it won't be that long, so it's not surprising calls seem more, they have further to go. How much does it cost you to call Russia from London? Same distance as Perth to Sydney.

50c for avocado's ! lol, woolies have them at 2.99 each online (just shecked) saisnburys are selling x4 avo's in a pack for 3.20, thats 80p each about the same as you'r 50c eh ?, oh you must live on an avocado farm!! that's why they're so cheap.

does not matter how cheap stuff if is you can't afford to buy them, due to no work being available in adelaide.

300 a month to telstra for x2 mobiles with unlimited and broadband, took ages to shake off the land line rental which we managed after 1 year in adl

You really paid over the odds for your phone and broadband. My hubby shopped around, spent an hour or two comparing deals etc and found the one we are on. Been on it since we arrived with no fuss or issue. Certainly don't think we are being ripped off.

Re the work aspect, honestly, that could be the same anywhere if a person isn't working. Adelaide has unemployment issues, we get that. It doesn't mean though that we are all jobless and can't afford to buy avocados or are incapable of finding them for less than you did online via Woolies. Or that we are all paying $300 a month for our phone and Internet package. You have issue with Adelaide as we know and tend to stick the axe in wherever possible. I just read this and thought it was one of those times. You seem to ignore that actually there are many here that are doing ok and some even that are happy. Sure some don't like it, some don't find work and some struggle, but really, you do sound like sour grapes quite often in your tone when you post which is a shame as you do sometimes raise some valid points but they then get lost in amongst the vitriol. I like the UK. I like Aus. I was happy in the UK, I'm happy here. You were not happy here in Adelaide and I think your employment situation, or rather lack of it has given you a very bitter experience and nothing Adelaide does or will do will be enough for you. But you are now living back in the UK for a while now so hopefully things are going well for you there :)

On another note, it used to bother me greatly in the UK, the air miles of some imported fruit and veg, especially out of season. Cheap maybe, but at what cost elsewhere? I often would not buy imported fruits out of season for that reason. If it had been flown from NZ or Argentina or South Africa, the air miles alone would put me off buying. I shop with a bit of a conscience and that hasn't changed since I moved here. I try to do the same where possible. Thankfully for me, the guy down the road here sells avacados for $6 a big bag in season and we eat them every day of the week then if we want to :)

You really paid over the odds for your phone and broadband. My hubby shopped around, spent an hour or two comparing deals etc and found the one we are on. Been on it since we arrived with no fuss or issue. Certainly don't think we are being ripped off.

Re the work aspect, honestly, that could be the same anywhere if a person isn't working. Adelaide has unemployment issues, we get that. It doesn't mean though that we are all jobless and can't afford to buy avocados or are incapable of finding them for less than you did online via Woolies. Or that we are all paying $300 a month for our phone and Internet package. You have issue with Adelaide as we know and tend to stick the axe in wherever possible. I just read this and thought it was one of those times. You seem to ignore that actually there are many here that are doing ok and some even that are happy. Sure some don't like it, some don't find work and some struggle, but really, you do sound like sour grapes quite often in your tone when you post which is a shame as you do sometimes raise some valid points but they then get lost in amongst the vitriol. I like the UK. I like Aus. I was happy in the UK, I'm happy here. You were not happy here in Adelaide and I think your employment situation, or rather lack of it has given you a very bitter experience and nothing Adelaide does or will do will be enough for you. But you are now living back in the UK for a while now so hopefully things are going well for you there :)

On another note, it used to bother me greatly in the UK, the air miles of some imported fruit and veg, especially out of season. Cheap maybe, but at what cost elsewhere? I often would not buy imported fruits out of season for that reason. If it had been flown from NZ or Argentina or South Africa, the air miles alone would put me off buying. I shop with a bit of a conscience and that hasn't changed since I moved here. I try to do the same where possible. Thankfully for me, the guy down the road here sells avacados for $6 a big bag in season and we eat them every day of the week then if we want to :)

I really really hope people make it, we did not, we were playing a different game perhaps, having been in Oz for a number of years prior to moving to adeliade (where my wife is from), we grinded to a hault, schools, jobs, people were just aweful, we stuck it for 3 years and it almost destroyed us, I don't have an issue with Adelaide as a city, just the people :) , just the local , state government and old-boy network people who live there, if all the old-school adelaidians were shipped off to say somewhere modern (in their minds), like say 17th century Bradford or perhaps 16th century Bristol, and were replaced with modern day incoming immigrants and poms, the place would be a dreamland! , of course, it's not, and the generational change to make the ciity work is just is not possible, at least not in the next 4-5 years, can a family who emigrates from the UK expect to survive for 3-4-5 years whilst they try and make a family and a home for themselves ?

Adelaide is terribly myopic and it's a dangerous place to try to dream, 50c avo's or not. My issue with the place (as i've said time and time again) is the ingrained nepotism, croynism and boy's club, many of whom here may not encounter, but your children will.... and that's a disgrace, or perhaps that's a rite of passage in life.

If you think adelaide is immune to the incompetent and buffonish decisions of your state government, you're dreaming!

I think if things are meant to be they work out. For us the move here has been fantastic. We have been lucky with jobs etc and we have a much better lifestyle than we had in the UK. For you Deryans unfortunately it wasn't to be so the Universe took you back to the UK and now you're happy. (So you say). Everything happens for a reason, accept it and move on then you will be truly happy :)

We are loving it here in Adelaide, don't get me wrong it isn't perfect but where is? My husband got a job in the second week of arriving, so guess we were lucky, I've struggled but to be honest I haven't really pushed myself as hard as I could! But me and a friend have started up a little cleaning business which is going well! It all depends on what you want from life I suppose! It depends on who you are as a person and realising exactly what you want from life! It won't always be the same as what the next person wants! That's just part of life....all the best for the future

I really really hope people make it, we did not, we were playing a different game perhaps, having been in Oz for a number of years prior to moving to adeliade (where my wife is from), we grinded to a hault, schools, jobs, people were just aweful, we stuck it for 3 years and it almost destroyed us, I don't have an issue with Adelaide as a city, just the people :) , just the local , state government and old-boy network people who live there, if all the old-school adelaidians were shipped off to say somewhere modern (in their minds), like say 17th century Bradford or perhaps 16th century Bristol, and were replaced with modern day incoming immigrants and poms, the place would be a dreamland! , of course, it's not, and the generational change to make the ciity work is just is not possible, at least not in the next 4-5 years, can a family who emigrates from the UK expect to survive for 3-4-5 years whilst they try and make a family and a home for themselves ?

Adelaide is terribly myopic and it's a dangerous place to try to dream, 50c avo's or not. My issue with the place (as i've said time and time again) is the ingrained nepotism, croynism and boy's club, many of whom here may not encounter, but your children will.... and that's a disgrace, or perhaps that's a rite of passage in life.

If you think adelaide is immune to the incompetent and buffonish decisions of your state government, you're dreaming!

Interestingly I do sorta get what you are saying - someone described Adelaide as the Truman Show to me awhile ago and I think that hits a note. However, that works for me and the family, perhaps because our needs are fairly simple (Devon folk rather than London city slicks perhaps) and we feel settled after 3 years - our overall work \ life balance is a huge improvement. I am not especially worried for my three children - they'll have plenty of options as dual citizens. The only thing I really miss is family and old friends. So in that respect I disagree with your comments about a family trying to make a home - it just comes down to it will work for some, not others.

Ha ha, just re-read my last post and I am repeating myself - that says it all really.

Edited by zebedee

We totally love it here and have settled.

What's with the avo debate? London must be an exciting place if all you have to think about is how much fruit and veg used to cost when you lived here.

It's a fact that many people don't settle and end up moving back. Always has been and always will be. If it's not for you that's fine but getting locked in to running down the place because of your experiences is just crazy.

Australia is expensive. That's the way it is. If you are looking for cheap living then go and live Bali.

As a total package Adelaide is great. It's not for everyone but then again where is?

It's so sad to read posts from people who can't move on. Put it behind you and get on with living in your new world and not the online forum world. If you can't move on then go and seek therapy and learn to put your past behind you.

It's just so sad.:sad:

It's so sad to read posts from people who can't move on. Put it behind you and get on with living in your new world and not the online forum world. If you can't move on then go and seek therapy and learn to put your past behind you.

It's just so sad.:sad:

Too right. Deryans needs to sort out issues with himself first. For such a 'mediocre' place as Adelaide (according to Mr. D) he couldn't secure any fulfilling work? It should have been easy for him then with his outstanding skill-set!

I totally disagree with the above comment. Deryans has made some valid points about adelaide. He probably got pissed off with wiping managers Asses. My apologise's for the vulgurness. Playing the Fool that Fools the Fool is my personal Motto! Adelaide is way better then London other then the work scenario.