Have you been caught?

Any thoughts about South Australia's abolition of registration stickers on windscreens?

I personally think that the cost saving is outweighed by the inconvenience for people who don't keep track of their vehicle expiry date.

I have my own vehicle on a direct debit and that's a simple system...also have my kids vehicles on direct debit too as I know what they are like!

The other side of the argument is that people should be more aware and take the time to check...it's all available online.

Quite a money cash cow though!

SA Government rakes in $7 million in registration fines since stickers were cut

• DAVID NANKERVIS
  • The Advertiser
  • April 19, 2015 11:21PM

131512-3304d1ac-e696-11e4-b722-cf4cf8a3a293.jpg

More than 3500 motorists are caught driving unregistered every month in SA.

MORE than 3500 drivers are caught in unregistered and uninsured vehicles each month — the highest rate since registration stickers were abolished — delivering a $7 million annual fines windfall to the State Government.

The number of such offences has risen 50 per cent since the stickers were dumped in July 2011 to save the Government $2 million a year.

It has attributed the surge in fines revenue since the abolition of stickers to the increased number of traffic cameras able to scan registration plates, but figures have prompted calls for a return of the windshield stickers, which clearly showed when registration fees were due.

The Motor Trade Association and Opposition say the return of stickers would help remind people to renew their registrations and avoid fines totalling more than $1000 — $404 for being unregistered and $696 for not being covered by compulsory third-party insurance, which is paid for with registration fees.

Motorists who drive an uninsured car are also liable for medical bills if they injure another person in a crash.

MTA chief executive officer Paul Unerkov said the fines increase was not surprising.

“The latest figures seem to back up the MTA’s prediction in 2011 that there would be a spike in the number of South Australians unintentionally caught driving an unregistered vehicle due to the abolition of registration stickers,” he said.

“Despite the mechanisms in place to notify South Australians when their vehicle registration is due, errors happen and many drivers still prefer the visual cue that a reminder sticker on the windshield gave them.”

130835-888c21f0-e698-11e4-b722-cf4cf8a3a293.jpg

Chief executive of the Motor Trade Association, Paul Unerkov.

Mr Unerkov is calling on the Government to consider reinstating the registration stickers.

Since the abolition of stickers, The Advertiser has reported several cases in which fines were withdrawn after renewal notices were sent to wrong addresses.

These include southern-suburbs woman Chantel Merrett, who successfully challenged her fine in court in May last year, resulting in changes being made to the EzyReg website to simplify the renewal process.

Latest police figures show an average of 2340 drivers of unregistered and uninsured vehicles were caught each month in 2011/12 — the first year stickers were abolished.

In 2012/13, the monthly average was 3412, followed by 3379 in 2013/14 and 3512 a month this financial year.

The increase means the Government is estimated to receive up to $19 million in fines this financial year, compared to $12 million in 2011/12.

Police said they had “continued to pursue opportunities to improve methods of detection’’ of unregistered and uninsured cars.

“Increased numbers of fixed cameras and automatic numberplate recognition devices have assisted in detecting offences related to motor vehicles,’’ a police spokesman said.

“In the event that a driver of a South Australian registered vehicle is involved in a crash, (third-party) insurance provides compensation to any parties that may be injured as a result of that crash,’’ he said.

“Failing to maintain a vehicle’s registration and subsequent CTP insurance is an offence and may also result in the driver/owner of the vehicle being liable to the costs associated with any personal injury resulting from a crash.’’

Opposition transport spokesman Corey Wingard said stickers were “a useful way to check if a vehicle is registered and also a reminder to renew their registration for many South Australians”.

“I have had residents tell me that they have been pulled up by the police for accidentally driving unregistered because they received no reminder notice, and no longer had the sticker to remind them,’’ he said.

Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan said the increase in fines was a result of intensified law enforcement.

“My advice is that the increase in detection of unregistered and uninsured vehicles can almost entirely be put down to the installation and use of automatic numberplate recognition and safety cameras,’’ he said.

“For example, about 10,000 unregistered and uninsured vehicles were detected in the last financial year through the Government’s safety-camera network.’’

Mr Mullighan said the Government provided several registration renewal options, including direct debit, paying online, by smartphone app, telephone, at a post office and through Service SA.

“People can also register to receive a reminder SMS and/or email seven days before their registration is due and can check their current status online or via the smartphone app,” he said.

Wow - thanks Tamara. You must have read my mind (or the Advertiser did). I was only mentioning this to a friend about a week ago because I still have my rego sticker on my car and thought that it was always a reminder to me that it was coming up (or dare I say...expired by a few days).

I am not surprised that they are raking in the money because I bet a lot of people forget. I wonder what they do with the revenue they receive, perhaps they could put the money collected in fines, into improving the hospitals or not taking on the Waste Dump......:rolleyes:

Hubby gets the reminder every time its due. The thing is, unless he renews it then and there, he usually forgets about it and then remembers when its down to the wire.

Do they do a direct debit payment? If they did I think hubby would already be using it (unless they charge for that). Would be much more simple for people as its automatic.

Wow - thanks Tamara. You must have read my mind (or the Advertiser did). I was only mentioning this to a friend about a week ago because I still have my rego sticker on my car and thought that it was always a reminder to me that it was coming up (or dare I say...expired by a few days).

I am not surprised that they are raking in the money because I bet a lot of people forget. I wonder what they do with the revenue they receive, perhaps they could put the money collected in fines, into improving the hospitals or not taking on the Waste Dump......:rolleyes:

The probably spend the money on more fixed camera traps!

The money should be allocated to a police and fire services traffic education unit...well funded and resourced so that public education officers could reduce the number of hoons and accidents on our roads.

I pay using the ezyreg app and it puts when it's next due straight into the calendar on my phone.

Yeh for ezyreg, best thing gov has done for ages. Even with my loss of short term memory, I have no worries about being caught out. Now, what's ezyreg again? ;-)

They do a reminder txt service 2 weeks prior to its expiry date

I am one of those people who is protective of phone numbers - so it wouldn't work for me. That's another bug bear, perhaps for another discussion. How everyone abuses the use of your phone number or email address.

We both got reminders in the post with new certificates. Went for the 12 month option as quite a bit cheaper. They really want you to sign up for the monthly direct debit but it costs more.

the ezyreg app is good too.

Just wondering if you got a reminder after it had expired? Because if so then it sounds like if a camera picks up your car rego then you get a fine. That's what I thought anyways.

I have no idea how ppl can forget..... you still receive a letter to renew, you can have an app on you phone which puts alerts on you calendars (must p of have smart phones i believe) and you can set up auto direct debit so you are always paid up on time!!

Seems some ppl are just lazy or plain dumb to me.....

Dan

I have no idea how ppl can forget..... you still receive a letter to renew, you can have an app on you phone which puts alerts on you calendars (must p of have smart phones i believe) and you can set up auto direct debit so you are always paid up on time!!

Seems some ppl are just lazy or plain dumb to me.....

Dan

that's a bit unkind Dan. Some people have a lot happening in their lives and sometimes things slip their mind. We aren't all into aps. And sometime the old grey matter doesn't work 100% when you are trying to cram so much into your daily life. I guess that means I am plain dumb - by your standards. Hey ho

It's all backed up on 'the cloud' silly. ;-)

And if you have several Apple devices they all remind you. Difficult to loose them all.

I'm a bit with @scooterdan on this one. The rego bill is no different to the council rates bill or driver license renewal and we don't have stickers on our windows to remind us to pay those and seem to manage okay. Why should rego be so different?

I should rename this "Have I been caught'!

Our cars and the kids cars are all on the eezy reg direct debit...BUT...we have a trailer. Bought it 7 years ago and have even seen it once or twice since then.:biggrin:

It gets used to transport bikes, kitchen cupboards, furniture...all manner of things that the family need to move around. Is it here, is it there, whoever grabs it keeps it until another family member grabs it...and guess what. Just received an overdue notice from big brother to say that the rego expired at the end of March!!!.

They didn't send out a renewal notice.

Never thought to add the trailer as we never consider it ours anymore and the licence fee is not too much.

I will wait for the fines to arrive...wonder what the fine is for this type of rego expiry going through a traffic camera?:mad: