erobertson

Anyone use Air B&B??

Hi all,

Just wondering whether anyone uses AirB&B to rent out a spare room?

Ive been considering it but can't figure out the legal implications!! We own our home, as opposed to renting.

Thanks

Hi all,

Just wondering whether anyone uses AirB&B to rent out a spare room?

Ive been considering it but can't figure out the legal implications!! We own our home, as opposed to renting.

Thanks

My accountant told me recently not to claim "office space and storage space (shed)" in my tax returns because that would be saying that I used part of the home to earn an income. When I checked on the ATO website it looked to me like what he was saying was right. (I am definitely not an expert and those things are hard to read - but if you are going to do it then get some good advice.)

This is a question and not an accusation.

How many people who rent their spare space on AIRBNB declare this to the Australian Taxation Office? I have properties listed on AIRBNB and these have been listed for while......AIRBNB does ask the owner 'have you notified your council and taxation office' and you have to declare that you have.

For council compliance this is a minefield!

For taxation purposes I completely agree with Toni...seek professional advice.

Hi guys,

Yes, these are the things that I've been mulling over too. There's also the issue of capital gains tax which is calculated as a percentage of the house used to earn income for a percentage of time. For the sake of a bit of extra cash it all seems a bit hard and it does make me wonder whether people declare everything as it's rather complex!

I think I might just leave it well alone....

Thanks

Emma

You have to be very careful as you need to have insurance to cover you incase someone renting from you has an accident. It's very hard to then not declare as you can't plead ignorance if you have liability insurance. And you'd be an idiot to risk everything by not having liability insurance.