Haiste

Emigrating with 18 year old dependent 457 visa

Hi, I have been approached by my employer in the UK with a view of emigrating to Australia and starting a new job down under. When it comes to the visa what I am being offered is, they will bring me and my family in on one 457 visa, this is valid for 4 years and at 2 years in they sponsor me through to permanent residency (subclass 186), again this includes all family and dependents.

My question is my oldest son is 18 years old in September and would like to look for an apprenticeship in engineering. would his age be a problem with the visa that I am being offered and what would be the attitude of prospective employers towards employing a newly arrived 18 year old? would he have an equal chance of finding an apprenticeship. would he be classed as a dependent when he is 20 years old and an apprentice?

I 'think' the rules were softened a couple of years back for dependents on 457 visas. It would probably be worth a chat with a good migration agent to make sure you do have that option in the future though.

would he have an equal chance of finding an apprenticeship. would he be classed as a dependent when he is 20 years old and an apprentice?

The correct answer to both your questions is no. Whoever is advising you about a 457 application should be able to answer these questions and advise about a strategy to to deal with the issue.

It is not a good idea for 457 applicants to rely on advice from employers, or their represntatives. They should at least take advice about what might be done to apply independently if things do not proceed as planned.

I know nothing about visas, nor your son's chance of getting an apprenticeship - or getting one that goes to completion, sorry.

That said, (and remember, I don't know about visas) if your son cannot get work, but you and / or your partner are working, I don't think he'd be able to claim Centrelink.

I don't know how your son might feel about that, but I know other kids in that situation (one who was in his early 20s when he was unemployed and living at home) and it's quite a demoralising situation to be in.

Just a thought!

Good luck with the process,

:cool: LC