snifter

Ambling round the supermarket

the other day. Realised that none of it jarred anymore. Not too sure when this actually happened, some time before, but I realised it then.

Its an odd thing when these things click into place. As settled as I feel here, as comfortable as I am with everything, little things still jarred with me from time to time, some things still do to a degree but not to the point where it spoils anything. One of those was the supermarket.

What I mean is you shop for years buying semi skimmed milk, Rice Krispies, tomato puree and other delights. Then you move to another country and its not semi skimmed anymore its lite with a light blue lid, its Rice Bubbles, tomato paste, while Rich tea biscuits and flapjack don't exisit :shocked:

I had the same when I was living elsewhere in the world only contending with different languages also so shopping could be a bit hit and miss then in the early days. Didn't have that here but did have lots of names for things being different.

I wrote a shopping list for hubby ages back and put tomato puree on it and he came home with exactly that. Only it wasn't puree as I had been expecting, it was Australia puree which is of course a different thing. He reverted with ease to all the differences while of course it took me a while longer, even though I was aware of many of them before we moved here.

I now write all the Aus names for things on my shopping lists and when out and with other people, but when I talk about them at home or ask someone to get such and such from the pantry, I ask by the English name usually and lo, everyone understands and its not an issue. My son likes to say yoghurt the Aussie way and then asks me what it is so I say it the English way and he takes great delight in correcting me. Or I'll say it the Aussie way and he'll grin and say no, its 'yoghurt' the English way. He likes to mess around with all the word differences and still thinks pants is funny. Kids eh :rolleyes::cute:

Also, thanks to my days living elsewhere I still call garlic 'knoflook' and say 'knip' instead of 'snip' and am understood in our home :) I also train to dog in another language and he responds to that over anything else. Its one of the things that stayed with me from my dog owning days back then and given its been 20 odd years now I doubt it'll change.

Does anything catch you out when you first arrived? Or does it still? Anything else about the word differences you like/dislike?

Yes you wouldn't think you would need to learn another language to live here. I still get blank looks when I use an English word for something!

do get fed up with repeating myself as they don't get my Lancashire accent ( not a strong one either ) but I refuse to put on an Aussy accent. Am starting to use the Aussie words for things though.

Son coming out from the UK in June and of the things he will be bringing is Turkish chilli flakes ( semi dried chili but without the seeds ), just can't seem to get them here, even in ethnic groceries.

I miss is things from other countries not just the UK.

Supermarkets are supermarkets, yes? One is pretty much the same as another.....no. For a different experience, pay a visit to Foodland in the Pasadina shopping center on Goodwood road.

You can amble around with a cup of fresh coffer in a holder built into your trolley, or sit at a table in the little cafe area. You'll be spoilt for choice at the array of products on offer and all in a beautifully design store. SO different from others you've seen.

In the mall there are other very tempting stores. Although it's only a small mall, it's not been over crowded on our visits but maybe we were just lucky. Like most men, I hate shopping but I don't mind going there..occasionally.

When you've shopped till you drop, there's a great restaurant near the main entrance so that you don't have to cook when you get home, exhausted.

.... He likes to mess around with all the word differences and still thinks pants is funny. Kids eh :rolleyes::cute:

Haha I still think pants is funny! In the city the other day there was a girl with a very short coat and bare legs and when someone else in the car with me said "How can she go out in this weather with no pants on?" I still sniggered and said "her coat's not THAT short - how can you tell?'

Ha ha. Yeah, pants will always mean knickers in my head. But when I moved to Manchester everyone there also said pants for trousers, so I've had that for a long time.

My 'omg' moment came yesterday. I got a tub of celebrations chocolates. I had nearly finished it (over some time) before suddenly going 'there are Galaxy chocolates in here!' Lol