Jessica Berry

Poms the face of NBN in Adelaide!

Article in today's Advertiser.......our suburb was on the list to get the original NBN, then the current Government got elected and now we are not even on the list!

NBN.jpg

We have a long way to go before most of Adelaide is connected to this, some areas near us can't even get ADSL2!!!

Def helped seal our decision to move to McLaren Vale, there is no doubt that working remotely is going to accelerate in the future - my last place of work allowed me to do it, my current place is running a pilot. I think the decision to cut back is very short sighted. Build more roads or build fiber optic networks..........

still no Broadband......nor ADSL2 in areas!!! there's a suprise and Adelaide wants to compete on the global Stage pfft! hows that one way highway doin, finished lane 2 yet?

still no Broadband......nor ADSL2 in areas!!! there's a suprise and Adelaide wants to compete on the global Stage pfft! hows that one way highway doin, finished lane 2 yet?

The freeway does at least run in two directions these days. You can't blame the state government for the poor state of the NBN here as it's a federal issue. Which means the whole of Australia has issues around competing on the global stage, not just Adelaide.

The freeway does at least run in two directions these days. You can't blame the state government for the poor state of the NBN here as it's a federal issue. Which means the whole of Australia has issues around competing on the global stage, not just Adelaide.

Australia's three tier government.......therein lies the problem.

To be fair it looks like some of the area getting NBN are areas with poor broadband like Meadows and other country towns. Although it isn't that brilliant in the Metropolitan area, speeds seem to be down at the moment.

Which areas still can't get broadband? I know not all have ADSL2 but didn't think anyone was still on dial up.

If you were to move to my area you could well find it impossible to get broadband. We did when we first moved - to the extent that we were having to run the whole house on a 4G connection with just a 12GB limit a month. Which is not much when you have two kids that like to watch You Tube videos all day. Not that they get to watch them all day but with a 12GB download limit a month we had to really ration the video watching. Oh and half the time the 4G connection wasn't working so we were trying to run 4 devices on a single 3G connection.

If you were to move to my area you could well find it impossible to get broadband. We did when we first moved - to the extent that we were having to run the whole house on a 4G connection with just a 12GB limit a month. Which is not much when you have two kids that like to watch You Tube videos all day. Not that they get to watch them all day but with a 12GB download limit a month we had to really ration the video watching. Oh and half the time the 4G connection wasn't working so we were trying to run 4 devices on a single 3G connection.

Isn't that due to not enough ports at the exchange at the time, rather than an area not having broadband?

Isn't that due to not enough ports at the exchange at the time, rather than an area not having broadband?

It is, but there are no plans to upgrade the exchange and add more ports and there are a lot of new houses being built on subdivisions in the area so the area might as well not have broadband for many new residents. Oh, and no plans to get the NBN any time soon either.

It is, but there are no plans to upgrade the exchange and add more ports and there are a lot of new houses being built on subdivisions in the area so the area might as well not have broadband for many new residents. Oh, and no plans to get the NBN any time soon either.

That's not good, but I know vast parts of Rostrevor have Cable, which is as good as NBN.

Yup rejected a rental because a new build and despite what the agent said no broadband because no ports. Reason given by Telstra was not upgrading because of NBN !

Ports come and go, 4 g 'dongles' are now actually not bad, many choose to use them instead of ADSL. I have streamed live EPL from Foxtel GO on them with no issues.

(I wouldnt by choice admittedly).