Child and family health nuring

HVB

I'm new to the forum. Does anyone have any info on Child and Family Health Nursing in/around Adelaide? I'm really struggling to find much info on this type of nursing in Australia. I'm a health visitor in the U.K and would like to continue with this type of nursing in Australia. Thanks :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Hi Blossom. Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is. I do all of those things here in England, I'm just struggling to find much about the cafhs role in Australia, especially around job vacancies etc. Any ideas? :notworthy:

Just found this and replying rather late.

I don't know much about the job at all here and I am not sure what you may already know about the job here or the services etc its offering.

Anyways, if you've not seen it this is a list of all the places CaFHS centres run from in SA, not just Adelaide and greater Adelaide area. Many of these places are rural towns elsewhere in the state.

http://www.cyh.com/Locations/LocationsAlpha.aspx?p=129

The whole website has info on services etc which hopefully would give you an idea.

They also have an employment section on the website http://www.cyh.com/SubContent.aspx?cp=310&p=118 which takes you here http://www.sahealthcareers.com.au/ . You may have already found that website and been through it but its worthwhile keep checking back. It may also be worth contacting some of the centres directly, especially the ones in the towns outside of the Adelaide area if you were happy to consider rural SA to live and work for a while. Apparently it can often be harder for services in general to find people to fill positions as not many want to live in rural Aus, most prefer the cities or close to them for various reasons. Of course, I get why many want to locate to near or in Adelaide but then the job market is perhaps tighter in their chosen field with far more applicants for each job and so on.

When I say rural SA, its not like rural in the UK. It can be a fair few hours between towns, 'big' towns may only have a population of ten thousand and be miles from anything else of note town wise. For example, Mount Gambier is about a five hour drive south of Adelaide with not much inbetween town/population wise, and is the second largest city in the state with 26,000 or so. Its a lovely large town in my book, halfway between Adelaide and Melbourne but of course, a long hike from Adelaide. There are some towns along the way to it of course, for example Robe which lists as having a CaFHS centre. Tailem Bend also, about an hour south of Adelaide, so not too far at all by Aus standards. Whyalla, the third largest city is about 20,000 and is about a 4 hour drive. Port Pirie is about 2.5 hours drive, which I now consider as being close to Adelaide :cute:

Edited by snifter
added a bit