Seasider

Cost of DAFF "treatment"

Hi there all, Does anyone know how much is costs to get stuff 'treated/fumigated' when importing them? Is it per container or per items? TIA

I thought it was per item although I guess you can have an entire container treated also. I'd discuss with your shipping company if you are thinking the entire container.

Costs for items being treated can be high. Easiest thing is to not ship the items they will treat or if you do, don't ship masses of them untreated. I've read of christmas decorations costing to be treated or destroyed, I think a few cost someone $70 or so. You'll have to pay to have them destroyed if you don't get them treated so either way you'll pay.

Research about getting stuff treated properly before you ship it also. It may need proper documentation to show its been treated iirc but it could save on it needing treating the Aus end.

What sort of items were you thinking? If its wicker baskets and the like I'd leave it, same with Xmax decs etc unless they have sentimental value. If its wood, you should be able to get that sorted the UK side. I had an old wooden chest that I got treated and varnished, also new catches put on it. It was fine this end. They did however open and check the boxes with shoes/boots in, also christmas decs and one other that I can't recall. I'd cleaned the shoes well, same with the bikes we shipped and other things. And I'd only shipped acceptable Xmas decs, nothing with berries, pine cones etc (real or fake).

Thanks Snifter, we are already here, but are going for a holiday to UK next year and parents have a couple of antique type tings from their grandparent and want us to bring them back, butterfly trays and a couple of wooden statues.

If the wood is painted or varnished or some such already it should be fine. Its untreated wood that will be of concern I'd expect.

My husband has model train layouts that he has made out of timber and chipboard. The wood was brought from hardware store. Does anyone know if I am going to have an issue with them?

We had a load of wooden things shipped. We had to pay I think a couple of hundred dollars just for them to open up the boxes and inspect them. :-/

My ex had to go at a set time to be there when they inspected. He got there and they said 'Oups, the boxes are actually somewhere else). I can't remember which was round it was, either he went to port Adelaide and they were at the airport or the other way around. I think it was port Adelaide (as told to by email). So then they had to make another appointment.

The guy wasn't worried about the wood items at all (not all varnished), even though we found one with a nice spider web all through a carving once we got them home (thanks mum for checking them first lol).

The thing they were concerned about were some papyrus pictures we had got in Egypt. They wanted to know if they could possibly be banana leaf. We told them we were sold them as papyrus, but it's Egypt, they could be anything. He let them through in the end. The whole process cost much more than we were expecting and nothing had to be treated.