VW Transporters..Are there any disadvantages?

JoeandCarrie

Hi guys, so I'm looking into the possibility of getting a transporter when we arrive, mainly so I can convert it into a camper as we are hoping to get away quite abit on weekends and it will save us money in forking out for accommodation. I've looked on gumtree and the prices seem similar to that what people are asking here in the UK but there doesn't seem to be very many around. Is this because they aren't so popular in Oz or is it down to another reason I.e the cost to get them serviced/repaired and spare parts etc? Like I said at the moment it's only an idea but I want to find out info before I look too much into it. Any suggestions or past experiences will be much appreciated. Thanks Joe

I see a fair few around although compared to other makes, its a small amount as the others seem to be more common.

I'd think the reason you are not seeing many advertised is because there are not so many around. VW isn't anywhere near as big here as it is in Europe and its cars obviously are that bit more pricey. I'd also consider the servicing/parts aspect as if you are having to rely on a VW dealer or some such then you may be spending out a fair bit.

When you get here you may find a camper already converted or a small motor home type thing at a decent price. Loads around. We toyed with the idea a while back but instead decided to go the tent and camping route :cute:

Hi Joe,

My parents have a VW kombi. They bought it two years ago and it's quite old with over 240,000 km on it. They spend 3 months a year here and vanish in the camper every time. They fitted it out with a bed and cupboards and have done thousands of km in it.

VW as a brand is not that big here. Parts and servicing hasn't being a problem for them but I wonder what the case would be if they broke down in the middle of no-where. My thoughts would have been that a Toyota van would have been a better option but my dad had a Toyota that he didn't like many years ago and they were set on the VW.

We are maybe looking to get something in the future and if it's a small van then a Toyota (bullet proof engine, readily available and cheaper spares)would be our choice.

Hi guys sorry for the late response! Thanks for the heads up on a few things, I've looked at quite a few Toyota vans for the reliability aspect but I think my main problem is that maybe they are called different models here in the UK so I'm kinda shooting in the dark when looking? Any particular models that seem to tick a lot of people's boxes? The cost aspect for spares on a vw does worry me so I'm guessing il have to wait to hear from someone who has had some experience with repairs to get a better idea,

cheers joe