Lazy Cow

"Making Informed Career Choices"

G'day all,

The two links I'm sharing today are from the Australian Government, specifically the Dept of Employment.

The first is a preso for schools, but the second is an overview of Australia, by state etc.

They look at what the job market is like, predict which types of employment are growing, indicate how to make the most of your job hunting, where possible pitfalls lie, and where to get help.

https://docs.employment.gov.au/system/files/doc/other/schools_handout.pdf

https://docs.employment.gov.au/system/files/doc/other/australian_jobs_2015.pdf

I found these through school, and I think they're fantastic.

Happy reading!

:cool:

The Power Point for the school leavers is REALLY easy to read and very interesting. The job losses in mining and manufacturing are huge and it would appear that they seem to think they can replace it with house building... but health care and social is a big growth area; the result of an aging population I suppose.

@flossybeth, yes, I thought the PowerPoint was really clear too. I had to smile at the indicated growth in health care /social, partly because we do have such an ageing population, and partly because of the closure of the Repat (and possibly etc).

@ Tamara, the website has lots of interesting info, and as its published yearly, is current. I cannot believe that's the first time I've seen it, tbh.

:smile: LC

Great thread. Good idea to keep track of trends so that kids can be guided in career choices. Thanks for this.