Montessori or Steiner ?

Guest paul smith

Guest paul smith

Hi there, apparantly there is a Montessori and a Steiner school in Adelaide. Does anyone know anything about these schools.

Ta v. much. Becky.

The montessori ones are Kindergartens/ preschools, I think there are about 10 of them across Adelaide. There is one Steiner school in Mount Barker, although I think some primary schools have a class that runs along side the mainstream classes. Kids who finish at the Steiner school do a personal project as their final work. They don't sit the exams or assessments. It is possible to use the personal project to get into University.

Guest Leanne & Mark

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think stiener schools offer 'alternative' education. I know three people who attend a stiener school, 1 is Autistic, 1 has Aspergers, and the other Severly dyslexic.

hope this helps.

Guest Roo1

There's a Montesori pre-school in SeaCliff and a primary school in O'Sullivans Beach.

I took my son for an interview there last year when I was chosing his primary school. I liked the head teacher, she seemed very inspirational and the school seemed well run but a little "tired" looking.

But in the end we chose Hallett Cove South as it had a better vibe and Thomas enjoyed going to the kindy there.

Judi x

There is a Steiner school in Wilunga too - I did look at sending my 6 year old there and although the philosophy sounds fantastic I did have a few concerns. I think that the emotional, creative and humanitarian aspects are paramount structured learning takes a back seat. I think they follow the leads of the child, wait until an interest in a certain topic/subject is shown and then run with it. My fear having a very laid back boy was that he may well never develop an interest in anything other than crayoning:goofy:

If anyone has any experience of this type of schooling I would be interested to find out more, as I may have got it all wrong.

http://www.willungawaldorfschool.com.au/

Guest Nick11
Hi there, apparantly there is a Montessori and a Steiner school in Adelaide. Does anyone know anything about these schools.

Ta v. much. Becky.

As a teacher I wouldn't recommend these schools from past experience.

Pm if you wish to know why.

Nick

Guest Zippy

The Waldorf school at Willunga would be the most well known in the state. I've heard that it is a bit slack discipline-wise, eg children frequently truanting (doesn't have a great reputation in the local suburb). However, I'm sure there are many happy families. Steiner schools are not just for students with disabilities, many abled-students and families swear by these schools. They do not have a huge following yet in South Australia, though.

The most important thing is to make sure is that if you send your child to one of these types of schools for their final years, their results will be accepted for university/TAFE.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

i live in willunga and know many families that go to waldorf, most love it can be some discipline issues (this from kids that attend) but no more than mainstream schooling, also waldorf in mount barker that has been there for years, you can go visit both. I know the one in willunga is more expensive than fee paying schools that are religiuos based. Hope this helps