Guest Trakki

Hand Lugguage

Guest Trakki

I was just wondering (as I do) when we fly can we take things like Calpol, Nurofen etc for the children in our hand lugguage? Do they have to be prescription ones so have their names on or not. Also as my children have never flown is it an idea to get some travel sickness medicine just incase? I have only ever flown once (and hated it!:wacko:so of course the most sensible thing to do is do the longest flight possible!! :err:) but have never flown with children so any advice would be greatly received.

Thankyou

Guest hel&sam

i've not flown to aus but have flown to various bits of europe with my two, i always take calpol, plasters etc,( i have the clumsiest whingiest kids ever!!!) have never had a problem taking it on board. as for keeping them amused, i usually try for v. early or v. late flights so they'll sleep but thats a bit difficult for aus. i've heard they have lots of films on also try giving them their own carry on bag which they can fill with stuff to amuse themselves travel games, colouring stuff etc think you can take things like nintendo ds as well on board but best to check that one.

good luck.

Helen

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I am not sure if there is still a limit to the amount of liquid you take on board, when Mum left here in march she couldnt take on a water bottle, and a l client had her moisturizer taken away a few weeks ago due to being more than 100mls I think.

Check with the airline, children medicines might be different, but I think the terrorist plot was going to use baby bottle??????????

sarah

Hi there,

we arrived just a couple of months ago, I took calpol and neurofen but these were in the little sachets so that they could clearly see they were not tampered with. I also took travel sickness tablets in the little tear off pouches.

I think as long as it isn't in a bottle, unless it is a prescribed one and you have a letter from your gp, then it will be fine.

We didn't get the medications checked, but they did xray the bags as normal and nothing was highlighted.

Bottles of water are different though as it could be chemicals within it, I had a bottle from the plane in my bag unopened and they pulled me aside, I just told them to throw it in the bin and apologised as I didn't realise that it was still a problem even if it was sealed and it was them that gave it to me.

We took a whole box of Calpol sachets and got through no trouble. Any liquids, creams etc over 100ml are not allowed in your hand luggage in line with current aviation security regulations.

I avoided giving our two travel sickness medicine as we heard conflicting stories about how effective it is.

When you get to quarantine and customs make sure you dispose of an food stuffs that have been opened on the flight as they are not permitted.

Guest katsmajic

Hi,

You can take liquids on in your handluggage, but it has to be in bottles/containers holding less than 100mls, and all liquids have to be in a clear bag - they do hand out clear bags at the check point. There were 6 of us and i had 4 clear bags full of bits - daughters makeup, creams, calpol sachets etc etc.

I packed the little kids books, DS's, colouring sets and they didnt touch them. There was loads of entertainment on the flight - films/tv shows/games/music etc. Also try to at least get the last leg as a night flight so they and you can get some sleep.

Good luck.

Hi

We had our Liquid Calpol taken off us and my look of distress seemed to work with customs,as he then said in a loud voice ''Was this prescribed by a doctor'' to which the correct answer was ''Yes''

so to avoid this situation, as your customs person might not be so obliging is to get your doctor to prescribe it and it will then have the relevant sticker to let it through.

Michelle

Guest macu68

I would ring your airline and ask them the rules on liquids and medicines in hand luggage and also ring the airport you are departing from to clarify whether you can take the sachets bought or do they need to be prescribed. Then I would ring again a few days before departure to check that there have been no changes. I don't dispute anyones kind advice on this post but the rules and regs change depending on security levels. I know you probably have more to do than that with having 4 lovely babies to care, pack and plan for but with 4 children chances of you not needing it are slim!!!! We have 3 (getting older now) and I always packed up calpol, nurofen, piriton, plasters, wound wash etc etc.

When do you go?

Guest Trakki

Thankyou everyone for your advice. I think I will ring the airline to clarify and as macu68 advised ring the airport just before we go to check. I thin as you said that with 4 little darlings I will need them and will feel happier with them. Did contemplate putting the kids in a pet carrier and into the hold :biglaugh:but Pete thought that we may not get away with this so guess we will have to have them with us!! :mad::cute:

I am dreading it coz I hate flying and Joe has decided at the grand old age of 10 months (yesterday) to start walking, was hoping we would go before this!!

Anyway thanks again