Flutterby

Carseats on planes

Hi, hoping someone can help with some advice. I am having to travel back to the UK next week as my mum is very ill and I have 11 month old twins. My husband is staying here with our older daughter.

I know I will have to travel with one as a child with a purchased seat and one as an infant but I am finding it difficult to work out if my car seat will be accepted on the plane. It was purchased earlier this year and is a Britax Safe and Sound. I am planning to travel Singapore Airlines, their advice on their website says that a Australian Standard is fine but that it can't have to be secured by a 3 point harness. Surely all Aussie car seats would have to be secured by a three point harness but a lap belt would go through the belt path? Im planning to take it down to the airport and find out but would be grateful if anyone has any experience of using a carseat on board. I have the CAA guidelines but struggling to get the info I need.

Also any tips to travel with two babies on my own? They are normally pretty good babies but obviously haven't been on a plane with them before.

Sorry to read that your return trip isn't for fun and I'm sorry but I don't have any information regarding travelling with car seats either - we never did - nor advice about travelling with two small ones (although we did travel with ours when they were babies I never had twins, or had to deal with them alone). I'm sure - at least I'd like to think - that the airline staff would help you out, especially if you let someone know your predicament, maybe when checking-in; just the little things like being able to eat your meal or changing their nappies/feeding them. As you say, you know your babies but flying with them (especially if it's their first time) is a whole other game entirely.

I wish you well both with your journey and your time in the UK.

I think the mean it should be able to be secured by a lap belt. If the ONLY way it can be secured is but a three point harness then it won't work on an aircraft seat. Might also be worth checking the width too.

oh and do ask for help, don't struggle gamely on your own. Hopefully you will be sat next to someone nice on the plane.

I went into target today and all of the seats had the same sticker as mine has. Think I'll call the airline tomorrow and check. I can't book yet as I'm still waiting for one of the passports to arrive, one came today. I'm going to definitely need lots of help, that's why I wouldn't travel with anyone other than Singapore.

Just as way of update in case anyone else has this query in the future. I took my car seat to the airport for singapore airlines to check over yesterday. They are happy with it. It is a Britax Safe and Sound, he said that as long as the lap belt can secure it they are happy with it. I'm all booked for Sunday and have meet and assist booked all the way through. No bassinet seat available on the first leg for my other child but I think that's ok.