Single Mom Hoping to Move to Adelaide on 190/189 Visa

proud

Moving to Oz is quite a different thing to moving to adelaide, The eastern seaboard has effectively the two largest cities and thus the largest market in financial services, IT, innovation and corporates, they have invested in infrastructure, training and a capability to grow, not all of it great, but at least they have had the vision some decades back to commence. Adelaide and SA sadly, for whatever smug reason you'll here whispered by the royal adelaidians, did not. They are now paying for that lack of vision terribly and they (the state government and indeed Adelaide Businesses , are quiet clearly spooked, they have run out of options, ) The influx of immigrants (i.e. we need more people) is really akin to trench warfare, the first number of waves will fail, spend their money and leave disenchanted, this cycle will go on for a number of years until SA pulls itself out of the mire it is in, but this will take a half a decade or more, so we are realistically looking at 2020, or indeed 2022, can you survive on a low income earning basic wage until that happens ? I could not, we left before we bled out in financial terms, and we're doing Ok here in the UK with the deposit we saved.

I simply weep for people who don't have the option and chose adelaide as a final destination, they have clearly been sold a lie.

My advice for you and your boy is to try sydney, we lived there for 8 years and it was superb, we tried adelaide for 3 and it almost financially broke us, additionally , the variation in competence you will see amongst school teachers is vast, some are great, some should retire, if your boy is bright , he will strruggle with the "presentee-ism" teachers, and thive with the good ones, keep a careful watch, he's at the teen critical years (I know, I've a 7, 11 and 13 year old) and we pulled them from a number of schools until we decided to go private, still did not protect the younger ones from incompetence

Deryans,

Thanks for all the advise. Hopefully I will make the correct choice when it comes to it. I am new to this forum and introducing myself so thanks for all the input. As for Adelaide, I get your point.

That is very sensible advise, thank you so much for the consideration that you have put into the response. I have seen so many posts about the lack of jobs in Adelaide and that is not something that puts me at ease at all. I hope things improve in 2016! I will re access then as my visa wont be granted (if) until then anyway. I have relatives who work in the financial services industry in Adelaide, so maybe that will help me.

To put it into context as to why I am considering uprooting ourselves from what is a comfortable life:

My Sister is in Sydney so even if I give it a go in Adelaide I really would hope to move there after a while.

My sons Grandparents live there as well and are amazing and visit us every second year in Ireland but they are getting older now. We also go back and forth and it is the highlight of our year.

Both my parents have passed so we have most of our close family in Oz.

I could also earn a very good wage there and support ourselves, although a step down from the detached house in the countryside I have now to a 2 bed unit in the suburbs (but Northern Suburbs at least:). I did live in Sydney for 3 years from 96-99, an age ago but I am aware of current rental rates.

I feel Australia would offer my son many more options in all areas of life and more contact with family. He is already a high achiever (top 2% in English and Maths) so I think he could have a very successful life in Oz. Not that academia is everything, he has an awesome personality as well and is emotionally intelligent beyond his years.

So, thats why I want to move to OZ!

You're welcome. If your sister and other family are in Sydney, I would go there over Adelaide. It would just be easier with their support, and with a much better job situation. You could have a theoretically better life style in Adelaide, with a bigger house, nearer to the beach, but only if you can score an elusive job. If you can't actually see your family because they're an 8 hour drive away, you might wonder why you bothered moving.

I also uprooted myself from a comfortable life. I don't regret it. Yet. Every action has a risk attached. Doing nothing has a risk attached. Personally I think the UK is in a lot of trouble and the Eurozone is in even more trouble. I wanted to get out before the whole thing implodes. I thought, and still think, Australia offers a better future for my kids.

There isn't a major economy that doesn't have a rocky road ahead, Australia included. To be in Adelaide right now is kind of like having jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. Ultimately, you just have to make the best decision you can, with the information you have available.

I would say that you have to be careful that someone's personal experience and opinion of their time in Adelaide doesn't mean that you will have the same experiences. There's a common thread running through certain posts...in fact they are almost all identical...and one persons bad experiences shouldn't be taken as the definitive take on how Adelaide is.

I wouldn't live in Sydney. I have had big city living and Adelaide suits me just fine.

It's a fact that the job situation in Adelaide is going to get much worse before it gets better. It reminds me of the situation in the UK many years ago when British shipbuilding and associated manufacturing like British Leyland just couldn't compete with other economies. The closing of Holden in Adelaide is not an isolated case...the whole of Australia's car manufacturing...Ford, Holden, Toyota... in all the capital cities...they are all closing.

There are suburbs in Adelaide that have very high unemployment. The manufacturing base is situated north of the city and youth unemployment in the far north is above 40% as an example. That's not to say that we don't have unemployment south of the city...but the percentages are much lower.

I run a migrant rental business. I have direct and ongoing exposure to the people who are moving here.

I am aware that my guests have found that it takes longer to get work than it did a few years ago...BUT...if you consider arrivals as being a couple....I don't know of any family that has arrived this year where one of the couple haven't found a job. Many have both working. Work found includes 3 carpenters, a horticulturalist, real estate, engineering, nursing, architect...the list goes on.

It's not because they stayed with me and it's not because they live in the south...but it's a fact that people are moving here and getting work.

Don't let your dream be sabotaged. Question their motives. Have a look at the threads reporting the updates on peoples moves. It's not all good but it's certainly not the desperate doom and gloom that you get from some people.