Guest Martin and Val

Our Recci Jan-Feb 2008 Part 1

Guest Martin and Val

A day to day account of our recci earlier this year, just thought I would add it here. Not full of info but we enjoyed our selves.

Adelaide Recci 2008

Friday 25th Jan: After what seemed a very short flight to Singapore although 11 hours and 50 mins long it went very quick. I found how to play super Mario brothers on the in flight Nintendo and after a complete hash of that I decided that watching `The Great Escape’ yet again would pass the time, and it certainly did.

We arrived at Singapore and sat by the beautiful waterfall adjacent to the piano bar. Val after her look around the shops settled down to her book while I settled down to the Carlsberg, very nice to it was!

We arrived in Singapore at about six pm their time and had a wait of five hours before we needed to board our next flight that was due to take off at ten to midnight. We were by now eight hours ahead of England and I was beginning to feel a little tired having been by now, awake for thirty hours and only catching around an hour’s shut eye on the plane. Val, on the other hand had spent a lot of the flight mouth wide open making those noise’s I’m often accused of `zzzzsnorezzzz’.

Oh well, time moving on and we must go and have a wash and brush up prior to the next leg of our trip, a seven hour flight to Adelaide. I see more Super Mario Brothers coming on and maybe another re-run of `The Great Escape’......................

Saturday 26th: We arrive in Adelaide on Australia day 26th January at a little before 9am, on a very hot Saturday morning. Oh no we had some salted peanuts and some boiled sweets in our bag which we had to declare to customs. Yes as we had declared them we had to go into the queue for a full bag search! Well after a short interrogation by the customs officer we were allowed on our way. We set off through the doors to the arrival hall to be greeted by our cousins children waving Australian Flags and blowing party buzzy things and not to forget the green and yellow wigs adorning their heads. What an Aussie welcome they gave us along with their mother, grandparents and others.

After a few hours back at Martin’s cousins house we checked in to our hotel the Mercure Grosvenor at 125 North Terrace in the City of Adelaide. Suite 401 we dragged our cases to and then set off to collect our hire car from Thrifty in Hindley Street. Good old Virgin Holidays had given us false information, we arrived at Thrifty’s to find it closed and after ringing the phone number on the door were told that they had no car hire booked for us. Great! But in true Aussie fashion the lady on the other end of the phone wanted to help. She phoned around for us and rang us back saying we were actually supposed to collect a car from Hertz at 1pm earlier that day in another part of the city and that they too were now closed. Anyway to cut a long story short we collected our hire car a day late from Hertz and got proof of the mess up to take back to virgin for our claim of one day’s hire cost back. Well anyway during all these phone calls and walking around we decided that we really needed to go to bed as we could hardly keep our eyes open anymore. We were going to go back to Martin’s cousins that afternoon but had to ring and say sorry, we had to retire for the day.

Sunday 27th Jan: Sunday morning came sooner than we had thought it would and after breakfast and collecting the hire car from Hertz off we set to pick up the relations who had very kindly agreed to show us around the shops etc to help us sort out a few things we needed. Rainbow flavoured ice cream was as on the agenda and the little one’s face showed how much he had enjoyed it!

Moving on to Monday morning, it was Martin’s cousins birthday and although we had brought a card and a small gift with us we set off after breakfast to buy her a birthday present prior to seeing the family for dinner. Of course it was bank holiday Monday and all the shops were closed. After a short detour to Henley beach we managed to get a box of chocolates from a petrol station, not any old chocolates they had to be Cadbury’s as Cadbury’s were the best, Adam had kindly informed us this the day before. Anyway after dinner and Ice cream cake, yes Ice cream Cake! (Don’t knock it till you have tried it, it’s very nice and the candles on top did not contribute to it melting but maybe the number of candles did!) We all went for a walk along the beach. The water was warm as we strolled through along the edge. Rachel collecting shells and small Jelly fish, Adam running from one big puddle of sea water to the next, darting around the beach like a ping pong ball. As we walked we came across small fish swimming around our feet, a cuttle fish which I was surprised to find as the last one I had seen was it a bird cage and that had cost me money. We came across a Star fish which we scooped up from the beach and took him back to the Ocean and then a not so friendly crab who after being surrounded by all us huge human beings decided it would be good idea to show us his claw almost as if he was waving at us. This claw came up out of the water and had a little nip at my thong which thankfully I wasn’t wearing at the time, I had removed my thongs to walk along the beach when we had arrived rather than get sand in them. Oh just in case you’re wondering thong’s in Aus are Flip Flops! (Well you didn’t think I would be walking down the beach with Flip Flops on did you?) The evening was rounded off by a lovely meal at the Lakes Hotel overlooking west Lakes with other cousins attending.

Tuesday 29th Jan: Firstly a lovely big breakfast to set me up for the day, Val only had those not so healthy Bran Flake things! Following this a visit to the Lakes Shopping Centre so Val could buy yet more shorts and we also made an appointment with Westpac Bank for the Thursday morning. After collecting some family members we set of to Brighton to visit yet more cousins and look along the coast line at different residential areas. We finished the day off with tea back at our cousins house where we gave out late Christmas present to the children.

Then we set off back to the Hotel and how cleaver we were we got back without the aid of TomTom who for some strange reason had gone on strike!

Wednesday 30th Jan: Well a big breakfast start for us both and then over to West Lakes Shopping centre to see Kym O’Loughlin at Westpac Bank for our eleven O’clock appointment. We opened our bank accounts, a current and a savings account each. We should receive our bank cards etc within a week. We then drove to Mawson Lakes to view some new houses. The area was like a complete new Town had been created along with shops and businesses and all that would be required for a new community. It was very nice with some stunning looking houses.

We then drove a little further to Golden Grove, this area was very nice with older houses which occupied larger plots than those at Mason Lakes. Again very nice this was not for us as it was very hilly with almost all houses set on the hills with steep driveways. Really nice but as we intend this to be our last house before the use of Zimmer frames becomes our normal mode of transport the hills may become a little hard going. With this in mind and the chance of bush fires in certain areas we have decided this is not for us.

Thursday 31st Jan: Today after breakfast we had a day of wine tasting in the Barossa Valley, Can’t really add to this only to say we had a great day tried loads of wines and I’m off to bed now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday 1st Feb: After yet another large breakfast we drove down south and looked around Hallett Cove and the surrounding areas. Then a short phone call to Lisa from Adelaide Bound for her address and off we went to her house at Port Neaulunga South. We sat out on the decking just chatting and admiring the beautiful view out to the ocean.

Returning to the city TomTom wanted us to take the expressway back, but unlike any road I have come across before. The expressway is one way, with a difference. Into the city in the morning then it’s closed down cleared and then opened in the opposite direction out of the city in the afternoon. Well the evening was soon upon us and our Pom’s In Adelaide meeting at 7pm was fast approaching. Sixteen Brits all chatting about personal experiences, areas or jobs they are doing. A great night was had by all who attended as far as I know.

Guest Martin and Val

Part Two of our day to day account:

Saturday 2nd Feb: Today we spent the majority of the day looking around houses in and around the West Lakes area. We went to an Auction and viewed an old 1910 style house on a very large plot with a huge covered entertaining area and swimming pool. It didn’t sell during the auction as it hadn’t reached the reserve set by the owners but was close at AUD 605,000. If it sold on the day of the Auction the buyer needed to place a 10 percent deposit down and the balance payable before vacant possession 30 days later. What a great way of selling and buying.

We viewed many houses during the course of the day ranging in price from AUD 400,000-700,000. It’s a great way of selling your house, you go out for around an hour the agents are on site and the house is opened for general viewing.

Sunday 3rd Feb: Went down South again today and looked around Seaford, Port Noarlunga, and Monea at the housing. We found a really nice place overlooking the beach at a little over AUD700, 000 and another which was in need of renovation one street away from the sea front for just AUD350, 000. On the way back to city we stopped at The Lakes for dinner before returning to the hotel. A quick wash and brush up and down to the bar for a couple of pints of Tooweys New. Very nice it was to.

Monday 4th: Today we spent the morning looking around the car dealerships and costing new and used cars. Then we visited some relations in the Adelaide Hills for the afternoon. They drove us around the Belair national park and surrounding areas and we finished off the day with a wonderful steak dinner they kindly provided.

Tuesday 5th Feb: Dropped Val off at West Lakes Shopping centre where she had a coffee morning planned with a cousin and some of her friends. I went over and joint the local library which for the free internet access is a real must.

A visit to Medibank to discuss private medical insurance policies followed by coffee at our cousin’s house. We also collected our Westpac bank cards and other documents that had arrived there in the morning post.

Wednesday 6th Feb: A few more car dealers to visit today plus a visit to Westpac bank to change our account pin numbers. Obtain our Australian driving licences and price up some kitchen white goods are all part of today’s agenda. Late afternoon we popped into Sky City to look at the menu and could only find a cafe type place which we decided to eat at and wished we never had! The beef burger I had plumped for was not cooked and we had to ask three times for Val’s coffee. The beer was nice!

Thursday 7th Feb: Today we had a day off the emigrating stuff and went to Willesden to meet up with some distant cousins who farmed in the middle of nowhere. We first met up for dinner and then went back to the farm for afternoon tea. We said hello to Snowy the sheep, three absolutely massive female pigs and 11 one week old piglets and Robert the male pig who was the size of a Shetland pony! Along with about 20 Chickens, 5 Bantams, a few cats, 3 dogs including “Titch” the puppy and the ducks we had a lovely afternoon. Oh and don’t forget the Bull Ants who I am sure could have ran off with whatever they wanted!

Friday 8th Feb: Today we went to the Subaru garage to price up the cars before we went to the DIY shop to price up tools and things. In the evening we went to a BBQ with a couple more cousins and some of their friends. One chap who was there with his wife, owned an engineering company and kindly offered to talk to a contact of his and try to set up a meeting on Monday lunch time to talk about future opportunities for me. Keep your fingers crossed and watch this space. You should have seen the BBQ our cousins who had invited us had recently won it in a raffle from a department store. About AUD 3, 000 in value it was huge and even incorporated a sink! They had a beautiful house dating back to about 1910 which was very much like the one we had viewed at the auction a few days before.

Saturday 9th Feb: We decided to have a drive around today and started our day out with a trip to Mt Lofty summit. What a spectacular view from there looking down over Adelaide. Then we set off to a German settlement named Hahndorf, it was a long street larger then we had expected full of small shops, cafes and bars. A really nice place and we would recommend a visit to it.

Sunday 10th Feb: Today we went to Victor Harbour for the day. We met with our cousins, their daughter and grandchildren on the beach front for a picnic. We then walked across the bridge to Granite Island. A small dog followed us onto the bridge and soon raced on ahead he obviously knew where he was going! As we walked we looked out at the perfectly clear water with Pelicans bobbing about. It was not long and we were on the island, we turned right and started walking the 1 ½ kilometres around the Island. It was so sheltered on one side that it was extremely hot but on the other side it was so breezy that you could have used a thin jacket. Once round the Island we stopped for a coffee and Ice Cream before a horse drawn tram ride from Scab Station back to the main land. Scab Station what a name I hear you say well we gave it that name due to poor little Adams trip over his own feet earlier in the week which had left him with a couple of cuts and a bit of a thick lip. Well while sitting on the top floor of the tram looking over the side at the remaining people boarding Adams scab fell from his face to the people below! Scab Station it will now be known as. Rachel and Adam had to have a Camel ride on the beach which was a real bargain at around AUD1.00 a meter! Followed by a go on the drive your own car circuit by the main green and of course Martin just had to jump in for the ride. On our drive back we played eye spy and were also fortunate to see wild Emu and Kangaroos on route. We finished off at The Lakes Hotel in West Lakes Adelaide for evening dinner.

Monday 11th Feb: Had to stay local to the City this morning as I was expecting a phone call regarding work opportunities, got a call lunch time from a chap named George asking me to come to his office for a chat. After a quick run back to the hotel to change from tee shirt and shorts into trousers and proper shirt I met George at his office passed over my details had a photo taken and chatted about future expectations and salary requirements. George was confident of finding me suitable employment when I required it and was also very confident in finding Val a position as well. Val and I returned back to the hotel to collect the car and then set off for a drive around Semaphore and Largs. We stopped by The Larges Pier Hotel and had a snack and coffee at the end of the jetty before popping around our cousins for tea prior to a leisurely walk on beach with them.

Tuesday 12th Feb: We stayed in the city this morning intending on a boat trip down the river Torrens and a visit to Adelaide Zoo. Well we missed the boat on both outbound and return trips so we walked the route instead which was in all honesty probably better than the boat ride. We spent a couple of hours looking around the zoo the highlight for me being the Pelican feeding time. After collecting the car back at the hotel we drove to West lakes for dinner via Henley beach. To our surprise our driving licences had arrived today just over a week after we had applied for them so we collected them had a really nice roast dinner followed by a walk on beach.

Wednesday 13th Feb: Today we had to go to West Lakes Library to log into Singapore airlines web site and print off our boarding tickets ready for Friday so we did a spot of shopping as well. We decided in the afternoon to have a drive around the area once more and after driving through Walkerville we ended up at Glenelg for a rather horrible sandwich at Subways which was topped off with a great coffee next door. Australian’s make the best Café Latte you could ever have I promise you. The evening was soon upon us yet again so after returning to the hotel we sat down in the bar for a drink and update this story. Anyway that’s it for now until tomorrow.

Thursday 14th: Day out at Cleland Wild Life Park with cousins before collecting the kids from school and then back to the hotel to pack our bags ready for the flight Friday lunch time.

Hope you found our day by day account an interesting read, not full of information but we enjoyed it.

Regards, Martin

fab post guys, you included all the little extra things i like to read about.

Boy are you's lucky having lots of rellys over there you will never be lonely thats a good thing.

Have you decided on a area where you liked the most, i see you have had a good look around.

you make adelaide sound lovely thanks guys, and good luck with it all.

suexxx

Guest Django

:shocked: How many cousins have you got out there????????:biglaugh:

Loved it. Very reassuring that it doesn't take forever to get licences and bank accounts. Bet with the flight home you must have mastered Super Mario Bros.;)

Thanks for taking the time.;)

Pete

Guest Martin and Val
    fab post guys, you included all the little extra things i like to read about.

Boy are you's lucky having lots of rellys over there you will never be lonely thats a good thing.

Have you decided on a area where you liked the most, i see you have had a good look around.

you make adelaide sound lovely thanks guys, and good luck with it all.

suexxx

We wont be lonely, we have all of the PIA members to call on!

Guest Martin and Val
    How many cousins have you got out there????????

Loved it. Very reassuring that it doesn't take forever to get licences and bank accounts. Bet with the flight home you must have mastered Super Mario Bros.

Thanks for taking the time.

Pete

How many cousins? well Henry moved over in 1848 and decided to populate Adelaide, so last count 12,253 cousins! (Ha Ha)

Anyway any problems just tell them you are a friend of mine! ;)

Beers Martin

Guest Martin and Val
    How many cousins have you got out there????????

Loved it. Very reassuring that it doesn't take forever to get licences and bank accounts. Bet with the flight home you must have mastered Super Mario Bros.

Thanks for taking the time.

Pete

Sorry Pete,

I forgot to say, no I didn't master Super Mario but will try again on the next flight! Must watch I don't get blissers on my fingers next time from pressing those dam buttons!

Guest Diane

Hope the little dog stopped and turned back before he got to Granite Island - they're banned from there because of the fairy penguins! Did you get the chance to check out Linear Park while you were over in the North East? Or any of the Eastern suburbs. Well worth considering.

Diane

Guest Martin and Val
    Hope the little dog stopped and turned back before he got to Granite Island - they're banned from there because of the fairy penguins! Did you get the chance to check out Linear Park while you were over in the North East? Or any of the Eastern suburbs. Well worth considering.

Diane

Hi Diane,

No the little dog just carried on never to be seen again!

Don't think we have been to Linear Park, we really like west Lakes / North Haven but if you can suggest anywhere else we would be very grateful.

Thanks

martin and Val