Jessica Berry

Adelaide/UK place names

Inspired by the attached article in last weekends paper, I thought I would add a photo from our recent UK trip where we visited Brighton (lovely sunny day and blue skies), Goodwood and Littlehampton and came across a sign for Norwood by accident!

Brighton.jpg

DSC04080.jpg

Edited by Jessica Berry

My great aunt was very excited when I first moved here and told here we were living in Plympton. 'There is a Plympton near here'. Turns out it was named after the one in Devon lol.

So many places share names with places in the UK.

Bridgewater here I always think I am spelling wrong and have to double check the 'e'

We used to live near Brentwood in Essex and there was Thorndon Park nearby. Across in Athelstone here there is also a Thorndon Park. Turns out both were named/created by members of the same Petrie family. Athelstone itself is named after Helston in Cornwall (where we spent out honeymoon many hundreds of years ago)

My great aunt was very excited when I first moved here and told here we were living in Plympton. 'There is a Plympton near here'. Turns out it was named after the one in Devon lol.

Yep - my mum lives there; last time she was here every time we drove past the sign we meant to stop and get a photo but didn't quite manage it.

My Grandma was from Eastwood (birthplace of DH Lawrence and her dad used to go to school with him!) in Nottingham, so I have a photo of me in the middle of Portrush Road next to the Eastwood sign here that I sent back to her.

What were your thoughts on the UK,any thoughts of a return or settled here for sure.?

We always enjoy our visits back to the UK and seeing family and friends. We become tourists in our old country! The reasons why we decided to emigrate are all still there (and many aspects have got worse since we left) and we feel we have a higher standard of living here and a more pleasant day to day life.

Modbury!There's one in Devon and one in Adelaide where I grew up!

Diane I didn't know Athelstone was named after Helston?My daughter lives near the Cornwall one.

... ask your daughter if the Port Navas Yacht Club is still there? When we went, it was a little shack on the end of a jetty...ah, memories! (It was a LONG time ago!!!)