Citygirl

How long do I water?

It may seem a silly question but we have never had a garden before. Our rental house has a sprinkler system for the lawn and grass. I have it on for about 15 minutes a day - is that too much or too little? I don't have a clue !

Ooo, a lot will depend on your plants. If they are natives or used to the climate they can probably cope better with less water than other plants.

We water our insane English style cottage garden for 20 minutes a couple of times a week at present with the sprinkler system. And top up with the hose (or watering can) the plants that look like they need a bit more inbetween. It will probably step up in the hotter months but I am busy taking a fair bit out atm to reduce the water used on it all. Its the fruit trees I worry about most as we had a great crop last year. Many of the roses I've ignored and they are still green and flowering like mad. Just started watering them this week actually.

The grass, if its the tough Aussie kind, I'd not water it much at all. Even if it turns brown over summer it bounces back in winter usually. At most I'd do that once every 10-14 days at present. In summer, if you really want, once a week for a short spell. But then I am a bit harsh on lawn lol. Others may say less, others more. If you want to keep it green, once or twice a week perhaps? But only early morning or in the evening, middle of the day when the sun is out isn't worth it.

FWIW, we've not watered the grass in this current dry spell (its been going on a few weeks now iirc). Some has gotten on the top bit of lawn out front when the other sprinklers have been on but other than that, not worried about it. And its coping well so far. Too well, it keeps growing and needing mowing :realmad: Our neighbour uses his recycled grey water (from washing machine etc) on his lawns and so waters them every other day and they are very green and lush looking. We don't have a grey water option at ours :cute:

Its funny isn't it?A few years ago water tanks kind of went out of fashion,but then as water rates began to rise,they became quite popular again!Much more modern looking than your old galvo round ones.I realise you're renting,and Ive just looked at water tanks/butts online and their fairly expensive,so buying one may not be an option for you.As the weather warms up,you'll need to water so it penetrates deeper into the soil,otherwise if you're just watering lightly,it'll just run off the top of the soil.I watered at night time.No point in watering during the day.I believe a "soaker"hose was recommended a few years ago,but not sure if its still relevant.(They're the flat strip type sprinklers,holes all along,kids love to play in them lol).Only use grey water if the detergents are eco friendly.You can water plants with cooking water (if you steam veg,or boil,strain off and cool then use).

I have quite a few water tanks. Bought them when there was still a good rebate. About 30,000 litres stored (minus 5000 where little fingers have opened one valve!)

Who would have thought that watering was complicated...I only recently found out that I had been watering all wrong. Apparently it's best to soak the ground so that the water penetrates and it makes the plant roots go deeper?

I hand water and find it relaxing...early morning or late night...:smile:

Definitely best to water for longer periods less frequently than short periods regularly as this allows the water to soak deeper in to the ground and encourages the roots of the plants to follow. This is good because when it is dry the top of the soil dries first and the stuff deep underneath still has moisture in it. I have an automatic irrigation system that works on a drip system under the mulch for the garden beds and a sprinkler system for the lawn. It waters once a week for an hour each in the morning normally, although we change the settings so it waters less in winter and put it on extra in summer if it's particularly dry, although usually only for the garden beds not the lawn. I also use the watering can in between for the plants that need that bit more than the others. As Snifter says the roses seem to not mind not being watered much but my herbs need that bit more.

i think I will look at using the washing machine water - it's on every day anyway !

Ooo, a lot will depend on your plants. If they are natives or used to the climate they can probably cope better with less water than other plants.

We water our insane English style cottage garden for 20 minutes a couple of times a week at present with the sprinkler system. And top up with the hose (or watering can) the plants that look like they need a bit more inbetween. It will probably step up in the hotter months but I am busy taking a fair bit out atm to reduce the water used on it all. Its the fruit trees I worry about most as we had a great crop last year. Many of the roses I've ignored and they are still green and flowering like mad. Just started watering them this week actually.

The grass, if its the tough Aussie kind, I'd not water it much at all. Even if it turns brown over summer it bounces back in winter usually. At most I'd do that once every 10-14 days at present. In summer, if you really want, once a week for a short spell. But then I am a bit harsh on lawn lol. Others may say less, others more. If you want to keep it green, once or twice a week perhaps? But only early morning or in the evening, middle of the day when the sun is out isn't worth it.

FWIW, we've not watered the grass in this current dry spell (its been going on a few weeks now iirc). Some has gotten on the top bit of lawn out front when the other sprinklers have been on but other than that, not worried about it. And its coping well so far. Too well, it keeps growing and needing mowing :realmad: Our neighbour uses his recycled grey water (from washing machine etc) on his lawns and so waters them every other day and they are very green and lush looking. We don't have a grey water option at ours :cute:

trees and bushes:

-if they survived the last drought they'll cope with just a really deep soak occasionally

If they've been planted since....don't pamper them ... sorry: they won't survive the next drought, whatever you do

JB :swoon:

With enough water most things will survive the heatwave just fine. I speak as someone who works in 25 acres of plant nursery with no extra plant deaths over the heat waves (wind causes many more problems with us as if we miss a blown over pot then they miss water).

Ps, we are planting tube stock all year round, including heatwaves with no problem, so young plants makes no difference as long as it's already been out in the sun.

Go with a longer watering less frequently rather than little and often. Much better as less evaporation and then the water will be lower in the soil which encourages roots to grow down.

sprinkiling lawns a bit every day encourages them to become water junkies and not to bother growing deeper roots which will be more resilient.

having said that some plants may need watering every day. Although my pots which are not newly planted seem to survive as long as I don't let them get too stressed and the established hedges and trees are fine with an hour a week of drip hose irrigation and even now they are not showing any stress.

look at the parklands round the city, the non irrigated grass turns brown in the summer but is green in the winter and the trees are fine. They only irrigate the ovals and certain areas.

Sprinklers just seem to waste a lot of water, many seem just to water pavements!